16,203 results
All reviewslazy rivermayan beachice cream parlourel ranchohealth barhole in the wallfisha la carte restaurantsfrosted glassthe lion kingtime sharebeach barwater circuitquiet poolmain buffeteach blockjuice bar
Reviewed September 18, 2017

myself & my wife stayed there in december 2016 for 2 weeks all inc 1st of all mexico is very overrated we was expecting better you have to pay £45 each at the airport to leave the country now dont get me wrong we knew that before we went but its a rip off now for the hotel never in a million years is this hotel any more than a 3 star the food was ok the hotel staff were great people lovely & friendly always warm hearted with a nice smile the hotel staff were a credit to the hotel they work so hard for so little money the hotel when we went was is full of gobby yanks & canadians trying to out do each other bragging ect all we heard while we were there was WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO all the time again dont get me wrong we met some nice yanks & canadians but most were gobby & very annoying so heres a tip take some ear plugs

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2017

Hola dowdy_p

We would like to thank you, on behalf of every employee at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa,

We regret that you also have not found the service of some of our staff and servers adequate.

We hope that despite of this situation you afford us the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed September 18, 2017

We stayed at the Grand Sirenis for a week at the end of August, so the weather wasn't always ideal as it was rainy season, but the hotel was perfect. We were lucky enough to get a recently renovated room which was stunning and a good size.
There was so much going on at this resort that we barely touched upon all that was on offer in a week. I highly recommend the hydrotherapy spa and we enjoyed a massage whilst there as well.
There is a kids club that offers lots of activities. My two only used it nce ut they enjoyed there time there. The main pools were a bit noisy for us so we went to the quiet pool by the lazy river which was perfect.
There are plenty of sunbeds, especially on the beach, where if you are lucky you can swim with turtles. The wildlife around the resort was one of the highlights for us, although I never managed to see the monkeys...I will just have to go back and try again!
We found the food at the buffet restaurants to be excellent and we preferred the Japanese restaurant over the Mexican and Steakhouse.
The staff were wonderful all week and we felt like royalty. Special mention to the entertainment team who worked tirelessly and put on a fantastic show in the evenings.
We can't wait to go back, and we rarely go anywhere twice!

Room Tip: Try and get a recently renovated room.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank Caroline W

Hola Caroline W

I am grateful for your positive review and your loyalty for the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya, I am honored to know that your enthusiasm for our Hotel and service has not changed.

We are glad that you liked our grounds, rooms, beach, pools and our host activities.

Please let us know as soon as you are ready to comeback, our great team will be ready to exceed your expectations again!

Reviewed September 18, 2017 via mobile

This is going to be a long one so it's as detailed as it's needed to be to give a true representation of what is a brilliant but also terrible hotel so please bear with me. Upon arrival to the hotel we were greeted by a very rude man who once he realised I wasn't going to pay the extortionate rates for upgrades he was asking, turned into a very abrupt guy. Eventually we got our key and set off on the fairly long journey to get to our room. We arrived at the room to find it pleasantly nice but dated. The bathroom has zero privacy so if you're bringing kids or you don't wish to bathe or use the toilet in front of your family then this hotel is not for you. The hotel restaurants are nice, The buffet restaurants serve food far beyond the standard of any hotel I've stayed in before but it's extremely repetitive as they only have a 7 day menu so week 2 it got boring. The waiters are hit and miss. Some are very nice and friendly but Due to languages barriers it can sometimes be difficult. If you put a do not disturb sign on the door they still come in and even after you tell them "no" they come back every 5 minutes until you give up. The bar staff around the hotel are the Same and tend to lean towards people who tip after each drink. The swim up bar called "El Cenotè" is awful. Poor service with long waits. Drinks are tasty in the hotel and there is a good choice of alcoholic and none alcoholic drinks. You can choose from a fairly good selection of a la cartel restaurants and may use 3 per week. We chose el rancho (steak house) Japanese and Rodizio. In week 1. The steak house was poor, meat standards weren't great and the choice of accompaniment with the steak was limited. We left and went to the buffet. The Rodizio was nice, very tasty. Small portions provided but more provided if you ask. The Japanese was beautiful, all good cooked to perfection, staff were so engaging and the Tepenyaki show was outstanding. Week 2 we chose Mediterranean which was surprisingly very nice and the pistachio crème brûlée was the best thing I ate all holiday. We went to the Thai and after hearing mixed things were actually very happy with the food and the service and we finished off on a second visit to the Japanese which proved to be the best meal of the holiday.
Now the problem with the a la carte restaurants is you can use 3 per week but if you arrive on Thursday for example your week only runs to Sunday and the restaurants book up way in advance so basically the hotel tell you it's tough. "Their system won't let them book you in" we lost out on some restaurants we wanted due to this and nobody we spoke to who worked there cared.
Whilst in my room on my second day the bathroom ceiling which is suspended metal beams collapsed on top of me causing a cut to the back of my head. I will attach photos to my review. Staff were called and didn't seem too bothered about the damage to my head. They removed the bloody towel I had used to apply pressure, fixed my ceiling, Asked me to sign some forms and left. They offered a "free upgrade" around 36hrs later after I had spoken to my tour operator (Thomson) under the provision I "sign a form" That waived all responsibility for the hotel. They informed me they wanted to keep me safe but would only do this if I signed the form proving that they didn't give a crap. I did not do this. The hotel would not give me a copy of the accident form they completed and offered no alternative room unless I signed the disclaimer. The kids club looked ok and the children seemed happy however I didn't bring my daughter on this trip so cannot give a true reflection. The pools are crowded, broken tiles make for a sometimes painful swim and I know of 2 incidents of children cutting their feet in the water. The grounds of the hotel are vast and take a very long time to move around. My iPhone showed I averaged around 8 miles of walking a day which wasn't a choice however there was an "ok" shuttle bus service that would take you round the hotel for free however these were often full and times were intermittent. The beach is very, very rocky and quite difficult to get into the water in parts however once in, with the right snorkelling equipment the experience is incredible. Vast numbers of fish of all different shapes, sizes and colours swim up to you and around you with no fear and it's incredible. The wildlife in the hotel is brilliant! Raccoons, monkeys, Coati, iguanas and parrots are everywhere on hotel grounds as well as an array of other creatures. There is a "Dolphinarium" in the hotel with free shows and it's around $89 for a swim with them however as far as captive Dolphins go, these guys have it tough. The pool is very, very small. There is a market on a Tuesday and Friday night with nice local products at reasonable prices as long as you haggle. There is a spa but we did not venture into this. One thing that is very apparent is the difference in standard between classes here. The "premium club" for the wealthier clientele take up all of the best sections of every part of the hotel. The beach, the rooms, the restaurants and they get pick over you for a la carte. Now you'd expect anywhere to have higher standards for higher paying customers but this is sort of shoved in your face in a disconcerting way that just tells you that you're not valued unless you give them a lot of money. Around the normal pools there are cabanas that say "people cannot reserve cabanas" but all of them have towels on all day while the people who put the towels on don't use them or go between them and the other set of beds they've put towels down on. Staff do not care this is the same for sun Loungers. At 9am on a nice day they all have towels on and at least 50% go unused all day while their owners are out or at the beach. Nothing will be done about this and staff will not help with this. With all of this said, there is still something I like about this hotel. The room I had was nice even with a falling ceiling. The beach once in the water is nice. The food is nice and some of the staff are nice. the "mezcal" bar in the second lobby isn't very attractive to look at but the service from the bar men Clemente and Quino is outstanding as well as the waitress Dalia. both men made you feel welcome, remembered your name and as soon as you're in sight they were preparing your favourite drink the way you specifically like it. Your drink is replaced just before your last runs out, they're very friendly, will make you anything you ask so I 100% recommend you use this bar in the evening as it was far better than any of the others and everyone we met at that bar agreed. I cannot recommend this enough and they're in all honestly the only reason I would consider a second visit to this hotel which is disappointing considering we were looking at this as a wedding venue. There is a lot bad with this hotel. Over £40 for wifi for a 2 week stay for each device you use and £60 for a safe is disgusting especially as when we booked this hotel they were free. The hotel decided they were now going to charge the extortionate rate that they now do. They offer you it "free" with room upgrades or they offer you a room upgrade for cheaper but take away wifi and safe so you have to pay for that. For 24hrs we had no wifi yet when I asked for one day refund the hotel refused. The reception staff are horrendous people. They do not care, they speak to you like dirt, they're unhelpful and generally infuriating. This isn't particularly the receptionist you speak to but their bosses who "call the shots" In all I don't know what I'll do. Part of me would love to bring my daughter back here for the wildlife and the rooms are ok as is the food but part of me wants to never see the place again because of the way the customers are treated and the underhand way in which they try to basically have you off of more money.. Night time there is a show at 21:30 for 1 hour although with the exception of the Michael Jackson show I found them very cheesy Although you can see how much hard work the cast put into them. In the theatre the shows are on in there are a lot of bats and over 2 weeks a considerable amount of us got bat poo on us or our drinks which is a pain. If you're booked, don't worry. you've nothing to worry about as it's still a really nice hotel but if you haven't booked....100% stay elsewhere I'd say. The hotel itself is nice but it's let down by a very unhelpful, uncaring, rude management/ reception team and substandard customer service. The supervisor Abraham on the main desk has a disgusting attitude towards any customer with complaints.l and I've never met anyone I've disliked as much as him.

Pros ...
food
Some nice staff
The beach is ok but below average for this area of Mexico
The rooms are nice and kept well maintained
Wildlife in the hotel
Hotel is very considerate of environment
Mescal bar

Cons...
Customer service especially the main lobby staff.
Health and safety
Some staff are rude (I don't feel this is intentional sometimes)
Bathrooms allow for no privacy in rooms
Class divide for wealthier customers
Very expensive wifi (most hotels are free here and if it doesn't work you still pay.)
If it's raining there's nothing to do but sit in the lobby. Unless you want to fork out a decent sum for the spa.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Andyhamill85

Hola Andyhamill85

Thank you for your in depth review, we found your feedback very interesting and have learnt a lot from your experiences because you give us the opportunity to learn better about the aspects we need to work on in order to offer a best service.

Regarding your not so positive comments, be reassured that all comments are taken into consideration and discussed the issues with the various Department Managers in order to take the appropriate measures and avoid situations, such as you described, in the future.

We hope that despite of this situation you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 18, 2017

Wishing that we didn't have to leave Grand Sirenis is the first statement my wife and I should make.
What an amazing resort only seconded by it's amazing staff and service. Having a concierge right in your building( Room 2623) is and excellent addition. Special thanks to Rodrigo, Checo and Daniel .They were the most professional helpful and eager to assist individuals we have ever met. Made the vacation even more special, so much so that we consider them friends not acquaintance that we just met on vacation. The staff right from check in to dinning room wait staff (Jose) the food was incredible so much selection and bartenders( Carla and Albino at main lobby bar) were also above and beyond expectations. The service was truly outstanding, remarkable to say the least. Our room attendant's whom were male did and fantastic job in cleaning and restocking our room never leaving us wanting for anything, meticulously clean everyday with an abundance of fresh towels and toiletries, again amazing.
If by now you haven't figured out that our vacation at Grand Sirenis was of Grand proportions, I cannot compliment this resort and all of their staff enough for the incredible experience they helped make possible.

Grand Sirenis thank you for an incredible vacation.
Gracias por y las increíbles vacaciones

Room Tip: building 26 seemed centrally located to everything
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank Dave E

Hola Dave E,

What a nice review, we are flattered to know you had such a pleasant stay at our property and thank you very much for sharing your thoughts here with others.

We are very proud to have received your personal comments about our staff members especially Rodrigo, Checo, Daniel, Jose, Carla & Albino, we will gladly pass on your compliments to each one and let them know that they make the difference with the impeccable service.

Thank you again, and hopefully see you again here at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 17, 2017

My wife and I spent a week here and had a brilliant stay. Room was spotless. Staff were friendly and attentive. Food and drinks were excellent. There's something for everybody here. I've had a look at the reviews on this site and some of the gripes and moans and complaints some people have stated have made me laugh. Did they stay at the same resort as us? We had an amazing time here. Loved this place.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Michael S
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2017

Hola Michael S

On behalf of the Grand Sirenis team we want to thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and all other TA readers.

Nothing puts a bigger smile on our face than to know that our guests experienced a beautiful and unforgettable experience in our resort.