“Amazing holiday!!!”

Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 20 September 2017

Myself and my friend have just returned after an amazing two weeks at the Grand Sirenis. The hotel was amazing, we couldn't fault the facilities, the beach, the food at all! All the staff are very friendly, cannot do enough for you, they work very hard for long hours (not that they show it!). Have such a wide variety of food we had to much to choose from! The entertainment staff made the holiday even more fantastic, all very friendly, funny, fantastic dancers, singers, and overall entertainers !! The pool entertainment was also great, getting everyone involved. The evening shows where all excellent, never failed to amaze us ! The pool party and beach party where fantastic, both such good fun, suitable for all ages! Overall could not praise this hotel, the facilities and the staff enough! We were both very sad to leave and are already looking to come back next year!! Thanks again to the Grand Sirenis and all the entertainment staff, you made our holiday unbelievable!!

Room Tip: All rooms seemed excellent
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
5  Thank Leigh-Anne B
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Hola Leigh-Anne B

What a nice review, we are flattered to know you had such a pleasant stay at our property and thank you very much for sharing your thoughts here with others.

Every guest is special to us, this is why we try to establish an authentic relationship with our guests and find out about their preferences.

Thank you again, and hopefully see you again here at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

Best regards,

Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (15,129)

Reviewed 19 September 2017

My boyfriend and I travelled to the Grand Sirenis on 28th August 2017 for 2 weeks. This was my first time out of Europe, and my first time at a 5* resort. My Boyfriend has been to Mexico before and stayed at the Bahia Principe and says that it was leagues above the Sirenis. So here’s for a long review on my take as a first time traveller to Mexico!

Check In, fast simple and easy. We didn’t get offered an upgraded room but we asked for the price after reading the reviews, I think it was around £260 to upgrade which we decided not to do as we’d already spent enough. We opted out of the WiFi as it was so expensive, so decided it would be nice to shut off from social media for two weeks. We did pay for the safe which is expensive, in hindsight I wished we would of just locked the things in the suitcase and saved the money!

Room, probably the biggest disappointment for us! We knew about the upgraded rooms so we were not expecting it to be brand new of course, but it was poor. There was ants in the room all in the wardrobe, it had a faint musty smell although we got used to it but when we returned back our clothes stank of it. Even things we hadn’t worn had to be washed. I found the bed and pillows uncomfy (hard) but my boyfriend thought it was ok. The maid always cleaned it as best she could so it is in no way a reflection on them. The shower is thick with green limescale that’s so hard it won’t budge. The ceiling in the bathroom was almost coming down on us (funnily enough a couple we met, it collapsed on the poor man’s head!!), the handle on the balcony door didn’t work (the concierge to be fair had this fixed the next morning, all be it a shoddy job whacking it with a hammer but it did work), really poor tiles everywhere cracked and sharp under the sink, next to the bath, out on the balcony. Honestly, apart from the size of the room which is great, it deserves 3 star at best. Unfortunately the walls are very thin and we were woken up on around 6 different nights by drunks coming in, the sound travels in the blocks so even people two floors down from us woke us up it was so loud. Extremely annoying. This was a regular because of the disco, so be warned – you will have to put up with this between 2-5am !! We were in 2237, Chucum. We got third floor (top) which was nice to get an ok view (mostly forest but still nice). We did also have to walk through a block to get to ours that was being refurbished, this was an absolute building site. It’s good they are doing improvements but it’s really not very good having guests walk through it, it’s a tip! (understandably).

Food, the buffet was really quite nice, in particular the breakfast which was yummy. As you’d expect it gets repetitive but that’s normal for all inclusive resorts. We couldn’t complain much. I personally am fussy with meat so avoided it over there but I found the steaks yummy, and in the smaller buffet (steak house) at lunch, they do freshly cooked roast chickens – really nice! A welcome change from the carb feast I had all the time! Beach BBQ was ok (toilets there are gross though, everytime we used them they were covered in urine all over!), quite nice but got very boring very fast and nowhere to sit. Restaurants, honestly some are so rubbish! We went to the Brazilian (average and tiny portions unless you constantly ask for more), Steak House (just no!), Italian (vile!), Japanese (really nice and really good show, if a little heavy on the soy sauce for me) and Thai (really nice, by far the best, beef curry was to die for!). Was sometimes difficult to get in the restaurants for the time you wanted, but we are late eaters and didn’t find it an issue to get in at the 8.30pm slot which was ideal for us. We were also very rushed, tended to be in and out within 30 minutes, for a 3 course meal!! The coffee shop is nice (staff in there not so much), and the ice cream parlour is basic, bland ice cream and rude staff but still refreshing now and then.

Service/Staff, I didn’t feel we got any lesser treatment than members. Some service was poor at times, particularly in the buffet, waiting ages for a top up of water, but the vast majority of staff were really lovely and did all they could to make you smile. (apart from the lady in the coffee shop, so miserable, and one lady making the omelettes in the main buffet, terribly rude and also in the ice cream parlour) Concierge, had no problems at all and we never even heard about this timeshare thing all the reviews mention.. which was odd?! But we weren’t complaining. Quino and Clemente in the smaller lobby bar, Mezcal Bar, what lovely guys!! By far the nicest guys there and make the best cocktails and shots too. We barely tipped while we were there, just twice to these two as they went above and beyond. Didn’t really feel like service was good enough to tip anywhere else (we did on a few excursions but not at the hotel). The hotel did absolutely nothing for my boyfriend for his birthday while we were over there (I asked numerous times). Everything was at a charge. I asked the concierge for a nice desert and sing song at one of the restaurants which he said yes that’s fine he would sort, it never happened. What ever happened to gestures of goodwill?

Entertainment, pretty poor for a couple who aren’t heavy drinkers to be honest. We were bored stiff most evenings so instead got up early made the most of the sunshine and usually were in bed for 10.30pm! There are 3 bars, Sky bar is nice outside but the live music is terrible, no disrespect but it’s the same woman every night, singing in Spanish, the slowest and dullest songs I’ve ever heard. We avoided it and went to the Lobby bar where the drinks and service were better, but no music nothing at all, just a stool at a bar! Sports bar we didn’t really use so can’t comment. But just has two tellies and two pool tables (usually hogged by kids). The shows, we watched a few from afar and as much as the team tried their hearts out, they weren’t great. Michael Jackson imitation was quite good but that’s it. Lion King I found a bit awkward but maybe its just not our scene as a young couple.

Grounds, really lovely, quite big but everything is walking distance. We walked 95% of the time as it was welcome exercise with all the food we ate. Max 10 min walk from the furthest parts I’d say. Not many shuttles around but they do come now and then. Very well kept, wildlife is just lovely, I’m an animal lover so was in my element. Saw the racoons, coati’s, iguana’s, the rodent type things that are like small capybara’s, lots of birds, iguana’s little lizards. We avoided the Dolphinarium like the plague, I personally didn’t want to witness Dolphins in essentially a tiny swimming pool for them! Parrots, a monkey, a toucan and an iguana all come round some days with someone and you can have photo’s done with them. We saw Parrotts (had some lovely photos) and the monkey but It was on a chain and it just felt a bit unethical for the little thing so we didn’t participate with that. Mosquito’s … everywhere! I’ve never been bitten before abroad, I came back with over 50 and my boyfriend who’s been to the Caribbean twice before and barely got bitten also was covered by the end. The hotel is surrounded by forest, so when it rains (we had quite a bit) it got even worse. Nothing works, we tried all sorts of protection. (tip if you’re buying the bands for your wrists/ankles get it from the shop in the hotel not Thomson’s, cheaper!)

Beach/Pools, Pools are ok, but what other reviews are saying about the tiles is true. We went to the pool near the Steak House every day, with the Mezcal Bar, the quiet one looked lovely, but surrounded by tree’s and getting the sun was problematic at times for us sun worshipers! The other pool was too loud for us, full of kids, and drunks. Not our scene really. The other was just nice, some entertainment but not too much. Always beds available at that one too, the others tended to be full. The blue and white sunbeds around the place are filthy, they really do need new ones! The brown ones are much cleaner (and hide what dirt there is so didn’t feel as gross) so we sat on those.
The beach is indeed very rocky, but great for snorkelling and always lots of beds, is normally very peaceful when you go to the top end past the members section but its next to a building site for god knows what so some days its so loud, not ideal!
You can get in the sea at this end without too many rocks, we didn’t take rock shoes and managed, but had to be careful. Lots of sea weed but it didn’t bother us too much. The plastic cups used for drinks aren’t washed enough. We drank water throughout the day and they often stank of alcohol, sometimes even tasted of it! Either learn to wash them properly or have separate cups for non alcoholic drinks.

Excursions, we went with Thomsons and did Coco Bongo’s, Underwater World, Delphinus and Isla Mujeres. I can honestly say the trips made this holiday for me, all of them were superb and I had some of the best experiences in my life. Snorkelling with turtles was probably the highlight for me. Dolphins in Delphinus are in a much nicer natural environment than at Sirenis. Coco Bongo’s is a MUST for anyone any age, best night ever. And the boat trip to the island, fab! Although the Island was totally not what I was expecting. I was expecting a lovely tropical island almost, instead its like a crazy shanty town packed with brick a brack shops and people begging you to go inside, not ideal, we fled to the beach and stayed there until it was time to head back. Boat was ace though, music and drinks flowing!! I wouldn’t change any of the trips, loved them so much. One tip though, take biodegradable sun cream. On some (underwater world for example) will not let you put any on at all once you get on the coach to the trip, so apply it before you go. Secondly, some will let you wear biodegradable sun cream so take your own, at cancun port for the boat trip they were trying to tell us they’d make us take a shower on the boat before we go in the water (???!!!) needless to say there was no shower and we were fine, but just don’t fall for their sales pitch. Take your own and avoid any nonsense.

Overall, I did really enjoy the holiday because I made it what I wanted it to be. We could of dwelled on the bad points but it is what it is, my issue is more with Thomsons as I think this is falsely advertised. It’s a 4* at an absolute push, I’d say more 3.5 to be honest. We definitely would not go back to this hotel, it just needs so much work and I’m not sure how they’d ever get to do it when it’s open and operating all the time. I’d go back to Mexico, but not here. It’s so hot at that time of year too, so much so I fainted one evening (I think it was dehydration but we were never certain), very humid (worse than I expected) and too wet to be honest, we got some bad storms, 3 days straight of solid rain so we concluded if and when we go back we’d go Nov-Apr for weather and temperature, and probably stay nearer to Cancun to avoid the mosquito’s in the forests.
Hopefully this has been helpful to those who have read it. If you’ve already booked don’t worry, you’ll still have a lovely time, if you’re thinking of booking, honestly… don’t there’s much better out there.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank s0phienx

Hola s0phienx

Thank you for your in depth review, I found your feedback very interesting and have learnt a lot from your experiences, there is no end to improving, and there we appreciate your bringing these issues to our attention.

I hope that despite of this situation you afford us the opportunity to show you the real Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya experience in a future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 19 September 2017

welcoming staff was pleasant upon arrival, after some paperwork issues we were giving access to the resort to wander until our room was ready...room was on the 3rd floor...nice view but walking up and down was a work out...and due to the size of this resort, walking is a necessity.....beaches were beautiful, loved the wildlife and the staff...food was good not amazing.....enjoyed the lazy river the most!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Carol S
Grandrivieramaya, Assistant Manager at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2017

Hola Carol S

Please accept our gratitude for your having taken the time to write your comments and concerns.

We are sorry to read we were not able to succeed your expectations due diverse aspects.

We hope you'll be back to stay with us at Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya

Reviewed 18 September 2017

myself & my wife stayed there in december 2016 for 2 weeks all inc 1st of all mexico is very overrated we was expecting better you have to pay £45 each at the airport to leave the country now dont get me wrong we knew that before we went but its a rip off now for the hotel never in a million years is this hotel any more than a 3 star the food was ok the hotel staff were great people lovely & friendly always warm hearted with a nice smile the hotel staff were a credit to the hotel they work so hard for so little money the hotel when we went was is full of gobby yanks & canadians trying to out do each other bragging ect all we heard while we were there was WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO all the time again dont get me wrong we met some nice yanks & canadians but most were gobby & very annoying so heres a tip take some ear plugs

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple

Hola dowdy_p

We would like to thank you, on behalf of every employee at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa,

We regret that you also have not found the service of some of our staff and servers adequate.

We hope that despite of this situation you afford us the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

We stayed at the Grand Sirenis for a week at the end of August, so the weather wasn't always ideal as it was rainy season, but the hotel was perfect. We were lucky enough to get a recently renovated room which was stunning and a good size.
There was so much going on at this resort that we barely touched upon all that was on offer in a week. I highly recommend the hydrotherapy spa and we enjoyed a massage whilst there as well.
There is a kids club that offers lots of activities. My two only used it nce ut they enjoyed there time there. The main pools were a bit noisy for us so we went to the quiet pool by the lazy river which was perfect.
There are plenty of sunbeds, especially on the beach, where if you are lucky you can swim with turtles. The wildlife around the resort was one of the highlights for us, although I never managed to see the monkeys...I will just have to go back and try again!
We found the food at the buffet restaurants to be excellent and we preferred the Japanese restaurant over the Mexican and Steakhouse.
The staff were wonderful all week and we felt like royalty. Special mention to the entertainment team who worked tirelessly and put on a fantastic show in the evenings.
We can't wait to go back, and we rarely go anywhere twice!

Room Tip: Try and get a recently renovated room.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank Caroline W

Hola Caroline W

I am grateful for your positive review and your loyalty for the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya, I am honored to know that your enthusiasm for our Hotel and service has not changed.

We are glad that you liked our grounds, rooms, beach, pools and our host activities.

Please let us know as soon as you are ready to comeback, our great team will be ready to exceed your expectations again!

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

This is going to be a long one so it's as detailed as it's needed to be to give a true representation of what is a brilliant but also terrible hotel so please bear with me. Upon arrival to the hotel we were greeted by a very rude man who once he realised I wasn't going to pay the extortionate rates for upgrades he was asking, turned into a very abrupt guy. Eventually we got our key and set off on the fairly long journey to get to our room. We arrived at the room to find it pleasantly nice but dated. The bathroom has zero privacy so if you're bringing kids or you don't wish to bathe or use the toilet in front of your family then this hotel is not for you. The hotel restaurants are nice, The buffet restaurants serve food far beyond the standard of any hotel I've stayed in before but it's extremely repetitive as they only have a 7 day menu so week 2 it got boring. The waiters are hit and miss. Some are very nice and friendly but Due to languages barriers it can sometimes be difficult. If you put a do not disturb sign on the door they still come in and even after you tell them "no" they come back every 5 minutes until you give up. The bar staff around the hotel are the Same and tend to lean towards people who tip after each drink. The swim up bar called "El Cenotè" is awful. Poor service with long waits. Drinks are tasty in the hotel and there is a good choice of alcoholic and none alcoholic drinks. You can choose from a fairly good selection of a la cartel restaurants and may use 3 per week. We chose el rancho (steak house) Japanese and Rodizio. In week 1. The steak house was poor, meat standards weren't great and the choice of accompaniment with the steak was limited. We left and went to the buffet. The Rodizio was nice, very tasty. Small portions provided but more provided if you ask. The Japanese was beautiful, all good cooked to perfection, staff were so engaging and the Tepenyaki show was outstanding. Week 2 we chose Mediterranean which was surprisingly very nice and the pistachio crème brûlée was the best thing I ate all holiday. We went to the Thai and after hearing mixed things were actually very happy with the food and the service and we finished off on a second visit to the Japanese which proved to be the best meal of the holiday.
Now the problem with the a la carte restaurants is you can use 3 per week but if you arrive on Thursday for example your week only runs to Sunday and the restaurants book up way in advance so basically the hotel tell you it's tough. "Their system won't let them book you in" we lost out on some restaurants we wanted due to this and nobody we spoke to who worked there cared.
Whilst in my room on my second day the bathroom ceiling which is suspended metal beams collapsed on top of me causing a cut to the back of my head. I will attach photos to my review. Staff were called and didn't seem too bothered about the damage to my head. They removed the bloody towel I had used to apply pressure, fixed my ceiling, Asked me to sign some forms and left. They offered a "free upgrade" around 36hrs later after I had spoken to my tour operator (Thomson) under the provision I "sign a form" That waived all responsibility for the hotel. They informed me they wanted to keep me safe but would only do this if I signed the form proving that they didn't give a crap. I did not do this. The hotel would not give me a copy of the accident form they completed and offered no alternative room unless I signed the disclaimer. The kids club looked ok and the children seemed happy however I didn't bring my daughter on this trip so cannot give a true reflection. The pools are crowded, broken tiles make for a sometimes painful swim and I know of 2 incidents of children cutting their feet in the water. The grounds of the hotel are vast and take a very long time to move around. My iPhone showed I averaged around 8 miles of walking a day which wasn't a choice however there was an "ok" shuttle bus service that would take you round the hotel for free however these were often full and times were intermittent. The beach is very, very rocky and quite difficult to get into the water in parts however once in, with the right snorkelling equipment the experience is incredible. Vast numbers of fish of all different shapes, sizes and colours swim up to you and around you with no fear and it's incredible. The wildlife in the hotel is brilliant! Raccoons, monkeys, Coati, iguanas and parrots are everywhere on hotel grounds as well as an array of other creatures. There is a "Dolphinarium" in the hotel with free shows and it's around $89 for a swim with them however as far as captive Dolphins go, these guys have it tough. The pool is very, very small. There is a market on a Tuesday and Friday night with nice local products at reasonable prices as long as you haggle. There is a spa but we did not venture into this. One thing that is very apparent is the difference in standard between classes here. The "premium club" for the wealthier clientele take up all of the best sections of every part of the hotel. The beach, the rooms, the restaurants and they get pick over you for a la carte. Now you'd expect anywhere to have higher standards for higher paying customers but this is sort of shoved in your face in a disconcerting way that just tells you that you're not valued unless you give them a lot of money. Around the normal pools there are cabanas that say "people cannot reserve cabanas" but all of them have towels on all day while the people who put the towels on don't use them or go between them and the other set of beds they've put towels down on. Staff do not care this is the same for sun Loungers. At 9am on a nice day they all have towels on and at least 50% go unused all day while their owners are out or at the beach. Nothing will be done about this and staff will not help with this. With all of this said, there is still something I like about this hotel. The room I had was nice even with a falling ceiling. The beach once in the water is nice. The food is nice and some of the staff are nice. the "mezcal" bar in the second lobby isn't very attractive to look at but the service from the bar men Clemente and Quino is outstanding as well as the waitress Dalia. both men made you feel welcome, remembered your name and as soon as you're in sight they were preparing your favourite drink the way you specifically like it. Your drink is replaced just before your last runs out, they're very friendly, will make you anything you ask so I 100% recommend you use this bar in the evening as it was far better than any of the others and everyone we met at that bar agreed. I cannot recommend this enough and they're in all honestly the only reason I would consider a second visit to this hotel which is disappointing considering we were looking at this as a wedding venue. There is a lot bad with this hotel. Over £40 for wifi for a 2 week stay for each device you use and £60 for a safe is disgusting especially as when we booked this hotel they were free. The hotel decided they were now going to charge the extortionate rate that they now do. They offer you it "free" with room upgrades or they offer you a room upgrade for cheaper but take away wifi and safe so you have to pay for that. For 24hrs we had no wifi yet when I asked for one day refund the hotel refused. The reception staff are horrendous people. They do not care, they speak to you like dirt, they're unhelpful and generally infuriating. This isn't particularly the receptionist you speak to but their bosses who "call the shots" In all I don't know what I'll do. Part of me would love to bring my daughter back here for the wildlife and the rooms are ok as is the food but part of me wants to never see the place again because of the way the customers are treated and the underhand way in which they try to basically have you off of more money.. Night time there is a show at 21:30 for 1 hour although with the exception of the Michael Jackson show I found them very cheesy Although you can see how much hard work the cast put into them. In the theatre the shows are on in there are a lot of bats and over 2 weeks a considerable amount of us got bat poo on us or our drinks which is a pain. If you're booked, don't worry. you've nothing to worry about as it's still a really nice hotel but if you haven't booked....100% stay elsewhere I'd say. The hotel itself is nice but it's let down by a very unhelpful, uncaring, rude management/ reception team and substandard customer service. The supervisor Abraham on the main desk has a disgusting attitude towards any customer with complaints.l and I've never met anyone I've disliked as much as him.

Pros ...
food
Some nice staff
The beach is ok but below average for this area of Mexico
The rooms are nice and kept well maintained
Wildlife in the hotel
Hotel is very considerate of environment
Mescal bar

Cons...
Customer service especially the main lobby staff.
Health and safety
Some staff are rude (I don't feel this is intentional sometimes)
Bathrooms allow for no privacy in rooms
Class divide for wealthier customers
Very expensive wifi (most hotels are free here and if it doesn't work you still pay.)
If it's raining there's nothing to do but sit in the lobby. Unless you want to fork out a decent sum for the spa.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Andyhamill85

Hola Andyhamill85

Thank you for your in depth review, we found your feedback very interesting and have learnt a lot from your experiences because you give us the opportunity to learn better about the aspects we need to work on in order to offer a best service.

Regarding your not so positive comments, be reassured that all comments are taken into consideration and discussed the issues with the various Department Managers in order to take the appropriate measures and avoid situations, such as you described, in the future.

We hope that despite of this situation you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

Wishing that we didn't have to leave Grand Sirenis is the first statement my wife and I should make.
What an amazing resort only seconded by it's amazing staff and service. Having a concierge right in your building( Room 2623) is and excellent addition. Special thanks to Rodrigo, Checo and Daniel .They were the most professional helpful and eager to assist individuals we have ever met. Made the vacation even more special, so much so that we consider them friends not acquaintance that we just met on vacation. The staff right from check in to dinning room wait staff (Jose) the food was incredible so much selection and bartenders( Carla and Albino at main lobby bar) were also above and beyond expectations. The service was truly outstanding, remarkable to say the least. Our room attendant's whom were male did and fantastic job in cleaning and restocking our room never leaving us wanting for anything, meticulously clean everyday with an abundance of fresh towels and toiletries, again amazing.
If by now you haven't figured out that our vacation at Grand Sirenis was of Grand proportions, I cannot compliment this resort and all of their staff enough for the incredible experience they helped make possible.

Grand Sirenis thank you for an incredible vacation.
Gracias por y las increíbles vacaciones

Room Tip: building 26 seemed centrally located to everything
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank Dave E

Hola Dave E,

We are very proud to have received your personal comments about our staff members especially Rodrigo, Checo, Daniel, Jose, Carla & Albino, we will gladly pass on your compliments to each one and let them know that they make the difference with the impeccable service.