“Amazing Holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Akumal
Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Spruce Grove
“Amazing Holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

We stayed at the Grand Sirenis two weeks February 12-26. We booked this resort in the end of October and proceeded to read reviews daily until it was time to leave. We got more and more nervous as the date neared. What a great surprise.

The trip from the airport took over 1 1/2 hours as we had to drop some people of at Dreams. Check in was quick and easy. The front desk people were very friendly and helpful. Our suitcases arrived about 10 minutes after we got to the room. Again very friendly.

The room was big and clean. We did not have a glass partition but it was no big deal, as the toilet itself had a frosted glass door, as well as the shower. Our fridge was stocked everyday with 2 beer, large jug of water and different kinds of pop. We tipped the guy hoping to get a few extra beers but it didn't happen. It's not very cold but i would go get ice then put beers on for awhile to get them cold. Barrilito beer actually very good when its cold. We had about 12 different towel animals the 14 days here.(Cute) The only negative i really had with the room was a bit of a smell and we saw a couple of roaches over the 2 weeks that scared my wife, gut i squashed them quickly and she lived. LOL.

The Food for the most part was very very good. I am a Chef by trade and know the ins and out of preparing food for large amounts of people. They had a great selection for Breakfast with fruit, salads, vegetables, different Mexican choices as well as cooked to order eggs, omelets, fresh Churros, smoked salmon every couple of days and fresh fruit smoothies everyday from Papaya, Watermelon, and our favorite the banana.(Delish) Some days they also had special displays of Mimosas, Bloody Marys, Cactus smoothie was neat to try as well.
We never made it to the main buffet for lunch but the beach bar was OK with cooked to order stuff like wings, fries etc. Its a very weird set up and the guy working there has a terrible job. They mad different stuff on the beach daily as well. Chicken Tacos, Paella was very good roasted whole pig, and hot dogs and hamburgers among the daily specials. The dinner buffets were good with different theme night like Asian(lots of sushi), Italian, and Mexican. We tried all the AL a Carts except the french which you had to pay. They all have a small buffet for appetizers before your meal comes. The Brazilian was great(meat fest), Mexican good, Italian could have been good but my pasta was almost raw. The Cajun was actually pretty bland, Japanese twice. The food was great but our first cook didn't do anything fancy like the table beside us. the 2nd time a different chef did a onion volcano, flambeed etc. he was very good. Sake was good too. The steak house was to my surprise very good. I thought the steak would be tough but it melted in your mouth. Surf and Turf recommended.

You do have to get up early to get the chairs you want by the pool and beach. the 1st morning i woke up early and went for a stroll. by 6:30 that morning lots of chairs were covered already. The main pools are loud with kids and the entertainment crew. We found a great spot by the quiet pool, until some people brought there kids there. The beach was good to. its a bit rocky when you first enter the area but then its sandy and soft a little way in. it is also a bit rocky as you enter the ocean but not too bad. Did lots of snorkeling. it was OK but quite murky at times. Lots of fish to see. Akumal was great and saw a large turtle. Took the collectivo there but it was a long hot walk to the highway and took a cab back. way cheaper than the $40 to go with the resort people and can stay as long as you want.
Overall the whole resort is very big but a 10 min walk will get you anywhere you want to go. My biggest problem with this resort is having to pay for a beach party, or the french restaurant, and wifi. The beds were very hard and you could feel the springs on your knees if you kneel on it. TV was OK but only a 5 or 6 English speaking channels for the 20 min. a day we wanted to watch it.
There is lots of wildlife around. Lots of iguanas that we fed pieces of banana too, saw our first raccoon, colorful birds, and a I think its called a marmot as well.
there were lots of families at this resort. If you don't like kids this isn't the resort for you. Overall this resort was fantastic the service was great whether you tipped or not. We did regularly but the service was the same if you did or didn't. Angel at the lobby bar was my favorite. Hope I've painted a clear picture for you of our holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 2900 block. Very central to everything
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Dirtidawg77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Polish first
Edmonton AB
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

This is a nice resort and was well taken care of.

ROOMS - Rooms were very large and spacious. They just needed a little uplift to newer linens and pillows. I loved the slippers and robes! The beds were firm but still very comfortable. The bathroom was nice and modern with an amazing shower that always had lots of hot water. We never used the jacuzzi as we were always at the pool during the day and only needed to shower off all the sunscreen and chlorine. We always had plenty of towels and only had one day with no face cloths, which wasn't a big deal and used a corner of a towel. They supplied shampoo and body wash in the shower which was nice but we had brought our own. Our fridge was fully stocked each day and the only complaint about that is our fridge wasn't very cold, but the ice machine was just down the hall. We were in building 25 which was close to the entertainment pool. The only noise we heard was the people coming back from the disco at 2-3am and not respecting the people sleeping already. We were on ground floor, so the echo in the building was loud. After the first night, I put two pillows up against the door and it muffled it enough to not wake my family.

POOL- They were large and refreshing. My son loved them and I couldn't keep him out. I saw staff cleaning and scrubbing the sides and pool bar area daily. Activities pool was fun, and the staff was not pressuring at all to get you to join in. A simple mention of what was going on and that's all. Fun music and fun people watching!

FOOD - I have no complaints at all about the food, there was always something to eat. The buffet selection at night was huge and changed everyday! The only thing that was the same everyday was breakfast, but how many breakfast options are there? We had a light lunch most days of just nachos, or fries/salad, so it suited us just fine. Our ala carte choices were Cajun, Steakhouse and Japanese. They were all great and had huge portions compared to other hotels that we have stayed at. We were a party of 9 and always sat together at dinnertime! They were always very accommodating!

ENTERTAINMENT - I will say my I was disappointed that the entertainment shows started so late. The kids club show starting at 8pm was fine, but then not starting the main stage event until 9:30pm was a long time to sit around. We were with 3 kids ages 5-8 and I think we only stayed to watch Alice in Wonderland and couldn't last the rest of the nights. I would've liked to see more variety in the shows as well, they were all musicals. Some comedy, or some acrobatics, or some pop music impersonators would have been fun for the kids and adults.

KIDS CLUB - We did not use personally, but my niece(5yrs) LOVED IT! She couldn't wait to go to "school" everyday. They painted, played and watched movies, feed the ducks, and much more.

GROUNDS - The grounds were very well maintained. The walkways were well lit and easy to find. I would complain about the wooden bridge though. It was really hard to walk on, and I found myself very nervous with the kids walking on it as the planks were very uneven and very rough. My Mom had a really hard time with the wide seams in the sideways, she was very nervous about tripping and we were constantly telling the kids not to run as we were scared they would trip as well (and did numerous times). I did see a couple of people fall as there are a lot of stairs and you need to pay attention all the time to wear you are walking. The lazy river area was VERY SLIPPERY and I saw MANY people fall there as well.

THE KIDS LOVED the LAZY RIVER, ICE CREAM PARLOUR, and the POOLS!

Pics by the pool were very cool, with an Iguana, monkey and Parrot. The prices for pics were a little high and I thought more people would buy them if they didn't charge so much. Cut costs by not printing such a large photo and charge people less for each pic! I would have bought all of them if they were $5/each and not $9.

I wish resorts could figure out a different way to eliminate the wasting of people saving chairs. It was hard to go to the beach as there was rarely any huts to use. MANY unused Huts were in the privileged area so maybe they should free up some of those so that others can enjoy the ocean too! A few times there was no one using their chairs until 2-3pm in the day!

DO NOT pay much attention to the bad reviews. We had a great vacation, and if you have never swam with the dolphins I HIGHLY recommend it....they are amazing creatures! Don't sweat the small stuff! Ola

Room Tip: I would think staying in buildings in the middle area would be best! Too close to the beach area mak...
1 Thank JackieLuk
Oldham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Hello trippers
Recently got back from sirenis and i can tell you that it was great.
The weather was really hot and the beaches and coves are amazing, you have to get up early however to book your beach huts with towels, if your not on for 8.00am you will struggle
to find one.
The reviews about food poisoning are not true, i was eating king prawns,giant shrimps etc etc on a regular basis and no issues with stomach problems, my family had no issues either.
The food at the buffet restaraunt was some of the best food i have ever tasted and as a family we have travelled extensivelly around the carribean, to get the freshest and best of the buffet rest get there early if you can then the food is piping hot and for obvious reasons not left standing under the heaters for hrs at a time.
The restaraunt dining was hit and miss in my opinion enjoyed the jap and med the best.
The only drawback to the holiday was the lack of nightly bars too enjoy the lobby bar was the main one and the seating left a lot to be desired...The bar staff are great and if you tip them a dollar now and again they make sure you get served asap.
Sadly we went to akumel beach on the 2nd to last day of holiday and boy did we regret it all
i can say is WOW....this is one of the best beaches ever crystal clear, calm, warm waters..heaven if you are beach lovers like we are, tropical fish swimming around everywhere even saw turtle while snorkling, to get there took 5 mins and cost around 200 pesos..wish we had gone here earlier!!
At akumel beach there are no beds to lie on or huts for shade but hey there are palm trees so plonk your towels down and get shade under the palm leaves...heaven..A million miles away from the rat race of uk life.
I hope i have give the uk travellers a lot of confidence about this resort and hotel, some people need to get a life when you read about some of the complaints that they post.
Would i come here again..deffo..you can't beat mexico, it beats dom rep hands down.

Regards
Steve......Good honest oldham lad.

PS.Don't hesitate to contact me if you require any more info.........ENJOY.

Room Tip: Third floor is better the reason being no people above , therefore no clomping about.
6 Thank peeweeHome
Drayton Valley, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

This was our second visit to the Gran Sirenis, our first was in 2009. Very little has changed since our last visit, some of the staff are still working here from 2009. Our group of 24 had no major issues to complain about, some of the negative reviews suprise me as we have not encountered these horrible conditions that are talked about in some reviews.
This resort is far from perfect as most resorts are down south, not up to North American standards. People need to keep in mind that they are only paying a few days wages to fly, stay, eat and drink all they can at these resorts. If they wish true 5 star resorts they are available here at about two or three times the cost.
We found the food and drinks average, better drinks at the lobby bars, could always find something we liked to eat. The rooms were clean, fridge stocked daily, everything worked in the rooms and the staff were friendly.
We traveled into Playa Del Carmen one evening for supper, went to the Ajua Maya Resturant, excellent food, entertaining and friendly staff and a fun house band. Highly recommended!

1 Thank Gratescape
Prince George, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Big resort, lots to do and pools availabe. Beach is quite good with availability to snorkel there.
Buffet food quite good, the special dinners were very dissapointing except for the Japanese which was excellent. They have a very good spa as well but be careful to get a deal, which are always available. Very close to Akumal beach by cab for the snorkeler, go early by 8am or forget any shaded area.Cab cost are about $20 us. The beach bar has snacks and there is always a good lunch cooked and served on the beach next to it.Entertainment is very good every night starting a little late at 9:30pm. The beach towel draping over every shadded spot is not to bad but be there by 8am so not to be disapointed.Lazy river is fun and great for kids. In fact the resort seems very kid friendly.

Room Tip: No elevators so bottom floor. Up grade to ocean view why bother for the extra $.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank walter c
Sudbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I travelled with my boyfriend to this resort the week of Feb 16 - 23 and it was amazing. The weather the whole week was 29+ with minimal clouds. If you're like me then reading reviews is a major part of your trip planning. We had booked this trip then I came online and read reviews and was slightly worried, but I took them with a grain of salt. I am telling you to ignore all those bad reviews. Yes, there are people who will complain about the smallest thing, but you can't let little details ruin your trip!
The rooms are very spacious and very nice. We did have a hole in the wall, but the toilet and shower have door and are enclosed, so you do have privacy. Our toilet did start to leak one day, but we called and they were there to fix it right away. The mini fridge was always stocked and the room was well cleaned.
The food on the resort was good. There were always so many options to choose from. You never got bored of eating the same thing. Also, the dinner buffet had different nights such as italian, so I would suggest booking your a la cartes around those. The beach bar had delicious wings! We did the italian, steakhouse, and mexican and the italian wasn't as good as the others. The steakhouse was our favorite.
We spent a lot of time at the beach and the mayan beach pool. The pool had entertainment from 10-4 everyday which was fun. They had tequila volleyball, water polo, bingo, etc. There was also a quiet pool if you don't want music or entertainment. The entertainment team was amazing.
The ice cream shop and lazy river are a must!
The drinks were amazing there, they had a large selection of drinks. Also, if you're Canadian they make Caesars!
Yes, there is a little bit of a walking, most reviews over exaggerate it but there are always golf carts going by that you can get a ride to where you're going.
I would highly recommend that you bring snorkel gear and grab a banana from the buffet because there are plenty of fish to see. Also you can take a cab to Akumal beach, or go with the guys on the beach who sell snorkeling, parasailing, and scuba diving for $40, and they will take you to the beach. They guide you around and we seen plenty of sea turtles and stink rays as well as a lot of fish !
I would definitely recommend going to Coco Bongo! It was AMAZING. We've never seen nothing like it. It is a night club with over 30 shows a night, impersonations, acrobatics, etc. SO worth the 100 VIP!!! MUST DO!
Overall, we had a great experience and would definitely come back to this resort!

Room Tip: Kajun Building it was a smaller building. We were on the third floor and never heard anyone our whol...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Catherine C
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Room was very dated old smelled of mildew beds old and uncomfortable horrible bedding. Staff was. Pleasant but too few too keep up with demands. took forever to get a drink. Food was not great buffet not replenished timely. I would not return to this resort.

• Stayed February 2012