“Fantastic, just as reviewed, even the ships crew took their day off there”

Tropicante Ameri-Mex Grill
Ranked #2 of 83 Restaurants in Mahahual
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Mahahual’s premier ocean front dining experience. A unique cultural and culinary blend of the best of Mexico and the US. Our food, music and ambiance combine the tastes and flavors of both of these two wonderful countries. We are located on the Malecon right in the center of the downtown beachfront. We offer comfortable inside dining as well as tables in the sand, just a few steps from the beautiful clear Caribbean waters. Best food and conversation in town!
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We just returned from a W. Caribbean cruise that included a day trip to this wonderful little stretch of beach, and wanted a place to stop for lunch. We read about it and the reviews were too good to resist, PLUS we saw Sean Burns, the Traveling troubadour From our ship the NCL Star taking his break there. We ended up ordering to delicious Margaritas and the cevice, loaded nachos and fish tacos. OMG to die for, just great sitting by the beach, nice breeze, I promised Jorge I would mention him and even took a pic but I don't have my camera with me to upolad so amigo, here you are. You will love this place, I guar-an-tee it! Take the 5 minute cab ride out from the ticky tacky tourist trap and come to this little town and try Tropicante for a memorable lunch...

Reviewed February 2, 2012

Was a great find. We arrived via Royal Caribbean and escaped the tourist corral of chains and jewelry stores, hopped on a shuttle and ended up here. Spent the day drinking, eating, people watching and jet skiing.

We were chatting with an officer from the ship while there who warned us to review the bill carefully; this restaurant is prone to errors...in their favor. Sure enough, we were overcharged by $5 or so. The waiter claimed he had accidentally looked at the prices from an "old" menu (you mean, the new prices are actually LOWER?!? Really?).

But, that's Mexico for you.

1  Thank 3pt5woman
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Steve was VERY responsive by email before our trip. By the time we landed our little troupe had expanded from 4 to about 17. Steve accommodated us all -- greeted us like we were old buds! The (adult) kids frolicked in the water, some snorkeled, some got (inexpensive!) beach massages, we had a few buckets of beer and a few margaritas and ceviche, etc., and all had a grand afternoon. Thanks, Steve, for making this stop a true highlight of our trip (indeed, of our year)!

1  Thank Randolph B
Reviewed January 30, 2012

My wife and 2 friends, found the Tropicante quite by accident. After arriving on a Carnival cruise, it was apparent that the port had very little to offer except the usual cruise sponsored lunch spots and attractions. We decided to move out of the port and found many of our cruise crew members getting taxis and going into the little town of Mahahual which was a very expensive $3 taxi ride(jesting of course). We had 2 crew members in our cab and they began to explain about this great restaurant on the beach with free phone,free internet access and bet of all great inexpensive native food . They were right on!!! Of course you wouldn't want to be in a hurry because time is not an object for this tiny city and restaurant by the sea.
I had one of the best chicken burritos I have ever had, my wife tried one of the local chicken dishes of which I can't spell. Our friends did the same and again I can't spell what they tried. All the food was hot and very very good.
To our surprise the owner was a displaced American from Dallas with vision and has been very active in developing this sleepy little delightful town.

If your cruise ship stops here, dump the local port and enjoy cheap drinks and beer with great food just 5 minutes out of port.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

My husband and I spent the day at the Tropicante during a stop on our cruise. If you let the owner Steve know you are coming, he will save lounge chairs for you. His restaurant is right on the Malceon and the beach is beautiful. His staff was super attentive coming back frequently asking us if we needed any thing. They make a delish Pina Colada and we enjoyed ice cold beers....six for $10 in a bucket with ice. We ordered lunch and had shrimp cerviche and nachos. It was tons of food! Way more than two can eat! You can also get a one hour massage for $25 that was wonderful. We had a great time at the Tropicante and would recommend them to any one who wants a reasonably priced day where you are treated like a friend.