Review Highlights
What you would hope for in a tour

What are you looking for in a tour? Rare and unique location. Expert guide. A special... read more

Reviewed today
Whataniceday25
Clinton Township, Michigan
fantastic

our tour guide Erick was fabulous so knowledgeable and interesting just a little too much... read more

Reviewed yesterday
susan802
Rensselaer, New York

Recommended experiences in and around Mahahual
from US$96.99
from US$96.99
from US$61.99
2,396 results
All reviews mayan experience tour extreme tour chacchoben ruins mayan culture tortillas pineapple great tour bacalar lagoon resort mayan family seven color lagoon cruise ship costa maya tortilla making cold water hibiscus tea booked this tour mayan home
Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

My 13 yo daughter and 9 yo son had an amazing time. The office was easy to locate. We were checked in and on the bus in less than 10 minutes of arrival. The buses are massive charter buses. The ride out through the Yucatán was gorgeous and the bus was comfortable (I may have dozed off). Upon arrival the instructions on the tour were clear and simple. Our guide was the best tour guide I ever had. Our guide was a Mayan native with a master’s degree in archeology. His knowledge of the ruins and his ability to explain the culture traditions made the ruins come to life. My 13 yo daughter loves math and his demonstration of Mayan mathematics using pebbles, leaves and sticks had her mesmerized. We had a good amount of time to explore and take pictures. We saw monkeys jumping through the trees. On the ride back from the ruins we stopped at a local fruit stand and purchased fresh pineapple sliced right there. The bus then dropped us off a block from the cruise terminal. All in all, one of the best excursions I’ve ever been on.

2  Thank Mike S
Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Fantastic David and Ron are awsome they tell about there culture and how they lived is must see they entertain you and educate at the same time.

1  Thank William D
Reviewed April 2, 2018

We booked our trip through ShoreTrips.com and Native Choice Chachhoben tour with Seven Colors Lagoon was a perfect day! Our tour was on a wonderful, spacious van with great air conditioning - we learned a TON and enjoyed local pineapple. I am so glad we did this tour. The ruins were fascinating and Juan Carlos was a fantastic teacher of the area, environment, Mayan culture and history and much more. The Seven Colors Lagoon is gorgeous and the lunch was the best we had all week - simple and delicious. Everyone was so friendly - we fell in love. Thank you ShoreTrips and Native Choice Tours!

2  Thank Thenills08
Reviewed April 2, 2018

We went on the Mayan Experience Tour and Erick Ivan Kauil Cohuo was our tour guide. If you are wondering if this is a "cheesy" experience or not worth it - rest assured it is phenomenal. Yes the walk from the cruise port is a bit long, but totally worth doing (and I was pushing my mom in a wheelchair!) First, you board a well-maintained tour bus and drive in air conditioned comfort to the Mayan ruins of Chacchoben. We toured the ruins (WEAR BUG REPELLENT), heard about the Mayan calendar and learned how to do Mayan math. My 7 year old son was so inspired that he did a report for his class on the Mayan people. The souvenirs for sale at the shop at Chacchoben seemed pretty pricey. Then we re-boarded the bus and went to a village where Mayan women prepared a delicious meal for us. (I was concerned because I have a child on the Autism spectrum with sensory issues especially surrounding food. I packed some snacks for him just in case. However, there were plenty of "plain" things for him to eat and he actually really enjoyed the food.) I felt very safe eating the food - no concerns about preparation etc. The women then showed us how to make traditional corn tortillas, and my kiddos made their own tortillas. There is a small display of gift items to purchase and we were able to get several awesome things to bring to our friends back home. (Friendship bracelets, beautiful pottery, aprons, and hand embroidered items to name a few.) The gifts were very reasonably priced and if I were to return I would do all of my gift / souvenir shopping here. Our tour guide was awesome and my entire family (ages 7-73) felt very safe and very much enjoyed the day. Having traveled quite a bit in my life, this was certainly one of the highlights of our trip and one of my favorite overall travel experiences yet. Thank you Erick and Native Choice Tours for such an amazing day!

Date of experience: November 2017
1  Thank HeliconiaPink
Reviewed April 2, 2018

We took the Chacchoben + Lunch tour - Our guide was Enrique and driver Alex - Excellent ride in clean air conditioned bus - utmost attention is given to client's needs - It was interesting and enjoyable to learn about the history and culture of the Mayan people. The icing on the cake was the lunch hosted by gracious Mayan hostesses - Food was delicious and it was fun to prepare our own tortilla and see how the various spices used came from their "garden". Highly recommend!