All reviews fly fishing spoke good english shrimp tacos staff person pale ale well worth the effort bone fish salt water windy days hot shower out of the way baby tarpon fishing guide grand slam small town spent a week long drive
Reviewed February 22, 2018

My wife and I recently got back from a 6 day stay at Costa de Cocos. Our primary focus was fly fishing and spent 4 guided days of fishing with Rueben. He was a excellent guide, patient and very knowledgeable. Unlike many guides in Mexico and Belize, Rueben loves to fly fish and he ties his own flies. He got my wife into her first sight fished bone fish and baby tarpon, fishing for both of us was good, and real fun, that's what it's all about. Not a lot of people made it nice, there are so many flats to explore we rarely saw another boat.

The entire staff at the resort was excellant, very friendly, helpful and spoke good english. The food was real good, try the lobster pizza. The rooms are fine, rustic but have everthing you need, a bed and a hot shower. There is no AC but ours was close to the ocean so we got a nice "breeze."

I would have given this place a excellant review but it needs updated. Other than some cosmetic alterations, and maybe a new kayak, the staff, guides and fishing was excellant. I think I can finally get my permit there.

Room tip: Get a room by the ocean
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2018

It's a long drive but in my opinion well worth the effort. Our room was very nice everything that you needed. The restaurant was great the carrot soup is the best ever, and the pizza great oh and the fresh fish of the day wow. Breakfast was more then needed. Rubin was a wonderful waiter but his experience as a fishing guide was above the line he was great and thought my my wife how to fly fish and catch bonefish all I can say is we had a great trip and look forward to doing it again

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed October 17, 2017

We had some great food here and a nice time talking with the owner, David. The craft porter was outstanding, nice roasted flavor and rich. I had a Pale Ale which was also outstanding, though I am more of an IPA fan, they don't always have that. He also let us try his bourbon and vodka. It's not every day that you get those handmade! I think it was the first bourbon that I have ever liked, very smooth.
The shrimp tacos were huge, so big I couldn't finish them, and a great deal at $7. The garlic shrimp was the same price, and my husband said they were very tasty. He ate them so fast I didn't get to try them. The only complaint we had was that he wanted more than he got, but he is a seafood fiend, and it was a good amount for the price.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2017 via mobile

The bongolos were very expensive for what we got, and that was the low season.
Both in the sink and shower- only salt water! No decent water to shower with. The room was moist and densed, and as it was raining a bit the roof was drizzling. Staff was nice and also the food- but pricy.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Noa M
Reviewed August 22, 2017

Great little spot. Cabana was comfortable, staff great, and excellent craft beer on premises. Internet in restaurant only. You can snorkel from the beach and you can arranged water excursion from the hotel as well. A bit off the grid but everything you need. Hope it doesn't over develop too fast.

Date of stay: December 2016