“Wonderful!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Grandville, Michigan
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was by far the best beach in Riviera Maya. You could walk a half or quarter mile in either direction, much of it private as the other resorts are deserted (hurricane damage).
My husband and I had a wonderful "second" honeymoon at this beautiful jungle paradise. We did upgrade to the junior suite on the third floor and I was very happy we did as we enjoyed our balcony in the afternoons. If we had been on a lower floor, I think all we would have seen was jungle instead of sunshine and birds.
The food was excellent at all of the restaurants from the gourmet sit-down style to the buffet to the snack shop by the pool.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat! Wish we could have stayed two weeks instead of only one!

Room Tip: I would recommend building 5 or 6 (closer to the pool) though you will have a good walk no matter wh...
13 Thank Debill25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (976)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I just returned last night from a week stay at the CRT and from reading the reviews we had some high expectations. Our experience at the CRT was above and beyond our expectations. This place is amazing!!! We have travelled for the past 4 years. Our first trip was to Mexico and we stayed at the Catalonia Yucatan where we had a fabulous time. We then went to Dreams Palm Beach in Domnican for a family wedding and also had a great time. Our third trip we returned to Dominican and stayed at the iberostar Dominicana... it was OK but not great. This trip to the CRT was the best trip ever and blew all of the other resorts out of the water.

As we were celebrating our 10th aniversary we decided to book the Honeymoon suite. Upon arrival we got off the plane and were greeted by the shuttle service. He informed us that since there was only ourselves and another couple reay to go, they has arranged for a van instead of waiting of the bus with the other travellers. Once arriving at the resort (about 1 hour ride) were arrive to the beautiful lobby and had cold cloths and a cold drinks waiting for us. We checked in and our room was ready within the hour. The reception staff were all smiles and friendly!

We tried all of the 4 a la cart resturant and every resturant was amazing. All of the food was prepared to perfection. Our favorite resturant was Mexican but all of the resturants were delicious. If you are on a diet do NOT go to this resort. You will not lose any weight and there is an abundance of food that is all to die for!

At lunch there are two options - a buffet or the grill and pizza shack close to the beach. The buffet had lots of choices and the grill had everything from club sandwiches, burgers, wings to pizza. FYI... The pizza was cooked in a wood buring stove. Again all was great.

The drinks were plentiful and not watered down as can be found in other resorts There is also a fresh juice bar on the beach. It opens at 10:00am so it's perfect for that mid morning treat. All of the juice is fresh and made into a smoothie type drink and a great way to get your veggies and fruit while laying on the beach. Our favorite was called the tulum! Go try it!

I was a little nervous before leaving since most of the reviews mentioned about Italians and europeans smoking everywhere and being rude. First of all, there is no smoking allowed in any of the resturants so that is perfect and second, we never once encountered any one being rude or drunk and out of control. Everyone was respectful of one another and out to have a great time!

We met alot of great staff members, who treated us great. A big shout out to David in the breakfast and lunch buffet who never allowed my Mojito to go dry and to Roberto the chief concierge who helped to arrange all of the romantic extras including a dinner on the beach. But all of the staff from the bartenders to the cleaning and maintenance always greeted you with "Hola" and a huge smile.

We had a fantastic time at the CRT and cannot wait to return. If you a thinking about going - just DO IT! You will not regret a thing.

19 Thank Avalon0655
Kalamazoo
Reviewed 19 February 2012

After reading the reviews at TA we booked a week at CRT. The food was better than at most of the all inclusives I've stayed at and the staff was very courteous and helpful. The beachj was great and the location was mid-way between Tulum anr Playa del Carmen. If there was a downside to the trip, it was the boistrous, rude and thoughless behavior of a group of about 25 Americans who descended on the Italian specialty restaurant on Valentines Day. Wearing shorts , intoxicated and disrespectfully loud, they made dinner very unpleasant for the other 30 or so people trhere - it made me want to be Canadian! Beyond their embarrassing behavior the stay was great and we'd go back in a heart beat.

13 Thank cbinkz
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2012

My husband and I travelled to this resort from Feb 4-11th. Check in was easy, although we paid the $140.00 upgrade for a deluxe room and still do not know the difference from the other rooms. Room was fine, we were in building 5 closest to the beach and were happy about that, very convienant.Cleaning staff were amazing and we had no complaints about cleanliness. towel art was really great! Food was good and liked not having to make reservations at the a la cartes. Staff were great, quite a long wait in the grill restaurant our last night, not sure why it took 2.5 hours but we were not in a hurry. The beach is fantastic and we were pleasantly suprised at the snorkelling to the right of the beach, by where the boats are tied up. Nice reef and we saw quite a few fish. The water was spectacular, no complaints at all with the beach!! Biggest complaints surrounded the Vera Club staff, they literally looked right through you and never once spoke to us. They would invite all the Italians around us to join the activites and totally ignore us, it really was quite off putting. The other thing that we noticed was the number of smoking guests, really could not get away from the smoke wherever we went. The entertainment was quite poor as far as we were concerned and most nights we did nto stay for the entire show. Again the shows cater to the Italians.Most nights I found were kind of boring, not a lot going on in this resort so be prepared for this. If relaxation is what you are looking for this is your spot, but do not expect much activity or entertainment. The atmosphere and walkway through the resort is unique and we enjoyed the feel of walking though the amazon looking at all the animals. We stayed at the El Dorado a few years ago and as far as we were concerned that was a much better resort than this one, however the beach at Catalonia wins out big time. We would recommend this resort for older couples looking to relax...

Room Tip: If the beach is important to you then building 5 or 6 is closest.
12 Thank 154992Christine_B
LA, CA
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My wife & I just returned from our 2nd visit to CRT, this time a 5-night stay in the Honeymoon Suite for our honeymoon, and we are both suffering from a bit of post-paradise depression as I write this review. We had previously visited CRT in October 2010 for a short 2-nt stay for a friend's wedding at neighboring Escencia Resort. We fell in love with the beach, and after much research (Escencia, La Amada, Secrets Maroma, Be Tulum) decided to return to CRT for our honeymoon.

The Adults-only aspect makes a big difference. Love kids, but it's nice to have the option to spend vacation in an adults-only environment. CRT definitely has a laid-back feel to it. My wife & I are American, but had absolutely no problems with the mostly European/Italian crowd or Veraclub employees. Not sure why so many people here are so upset by their presence. They were super friendly and inclusive. I made friends with several of the Italian guests & Veraclub staffers during afternoon soccer & volleyball games, and never felt left out of any activities. It seems to me that some of the reviewers might feel left out by the language barrier, but hey you're in a foreign country & the whole world does not need to cater to us because we are Americans. We never found this to be an issue, and service from the CRT staff was spot-on perfect the entire time from entertainment staff (Susan is great!) to restaurants & bars, front desk, concierge (Robert was super helpful) to spa. We both had a great massage as part of our Honeymoon package.

ROOMS
The Honeymoon Suite seems no bigger than the standard suite that we stayed in back in 2010, but the room feels a lot more refined. The furniture & bedding in the standard suite looked dated, but the Honeymoon Suite is definitely more elegantly appointed. They may have upgraded some of the rooms since 2 years ago, but we had a great rain shower, marble fixures in the bathroom, a flatscreen tv, balcony and cool canopy bed. The upgrade fee of ~$50/nt may not be for everyone, but we definitely found value as it was our honeymoon. The romantic dinner on the beach, couples massage & daily access to the spa were also much appreciated inclusions.

DINING
We've previously stayed at Sun Palace, Beach Palace & Moon Palace in Cancun and found that the food at CRT is a notch above. Large selection of fresh vegetables & fruit available at the breakfast & lunch buffets. I particularly enjoyed the pasta, sushi & panini stations. Desserts & coffee options are plentiful, and the churros in hot chocolate dip is a must-try at breakfast. We tried all of the a la carte dinner options, and enjoyed all of them. The Tapas restaurant has a really romantic vibe and is beautifully designed to feel like you are dining in the middle of the rainforest (I guess because you literally are. Make sure to give yourself a good 2-2.5 hours to spend there though, as service is on Carribean time. We didn't mind at all. The Mexican restaurant was our favorite in terms of food quality. Italian & steakhouse were also nice options. No complaints on food at all.

ACTIVITIES
CRT seems to strike a good balance between offering venues & activities for couples who want to spend time with each other as well as offering social options for those who want to make friends. We had a blast doing beach aerobics. I was hesitant at first, but it was a good way to warm up in the morning before snorkeling & kayaking. Unfortunately, we didn't get to go on the catamaran because there was no wind on the day we made a reservation, but it's a nice inclusive option. I'm an avid soccer player, so I was pleased to see that beach soccer was offered as an afternoon activity. Lots of fun, and a good way to meet fellow guests from different countries. La Margarita bar in the lobby is a popular place for post-dinner/pre-show drinks, and they have very good live music on most nights. We stopped by the Elvis show, which was funny because the Mexican Elvis kept breaking into salsa moves while doing his Elvis hip shakes. If you expect Vegas quality productions, you'll be disappointed, but it was fun to sing along over drinks. CRT is not known as a party resort, but we were pleasantly surprised by the options. There is also a hidden nightclub called "Disco Cat's" upstairs from the lobby bar, which is actually really nicely designed with it's own bar, restrooms & billiards table. Attendance could be better, but they don't seem to advertise it much. We still had fun there.

TIPS
1) Ma Loo Juice Bar at the beach is a daily must. Fresh made-to-order tropical juices & smoothies on the beach all day long.
2) Tip everybody! The friendly, helpful staff at CRT make a huge difference in the experience. Make sure to tip after each meal, for daily housekeeping, room service, at the bars, etc... These people are underpaid & deserve our tips.
3) Rent a car. This is not for everyone, and a bit of a hassle, but having a car made it easy for us to zip to & from the airport, to drive over to the pharmacy to get antibiotics (I showed up with an eye infection) & visit local tourist spots in Playa del Carmen & Tulum.
4) Xpu-Ha Beach Club - One of my favorite discoveries this trip (besides the secret nightclub) was the Xpu-Ha Beach Club 200 yds south of CRT. They have an amazing husband & wife massage therapist team there who operate the massage kiosk on the beach. $50 for a 1-hour Swedish massage or $60 for deep tissue. My wife said it was the best massage she's ever had. The peaceful, friendly come-as-you-are beach-club vibe, live music and rustic atmosphere makes you feel like you've walked into a Corona commercial. I spent 3 afternoons there sipping on beers, making friends w/ the other patrons. I particularly loved the group of laid-back dogs that call the beach club home, and brought them snacks everyday.
5) Late check-out. This was a very pleasant surprise. We expected to get kicked out of the resort at noon after checkout, but they let us stay on property with our wristbands until we had to leave for our 6pm flight. Huge bonus points to the CRT staff & management for this policy. We were able to soak in one last day of beach time & a good meal before heading back to reality.

CONCLUSION
It was painful to leave CRT. We look forward to coming back!

Room Tip: Building 5 is closest to the beach. Honeymoon & Junior Suites offer slightly more elegant rooms...
26 Thank sungers
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Just got back from a week at this wonderful resort. I did a lot of research prior and I actually wanted to go to Aruba or Grand Cayman but the prices were much more than I wanted to pay. This resort came highly recommended to me and the prices were very reasonable so after reading up on it we booked...... and I'm so glad we did!

At check-in I realized that I lost my passport (ugh!!) and was referred to the Concierge, Roberto. He was wonderful.... and very patient. Long story short - my passport was delivered to me the following morning at 9am. Thank you Roberto!

OK... the rooms - we upgraded to a deluxe... not sure what the difference is other than having a plasma tv but we really liked it. The rooms were spotless - We were in building 5 on the second floor. It's closest to the beach and we found it very convenient - I would definitely recommend staying in building 5 or 6 (which are right across from eachother). Next time I would choose the top floor and get a junior suite - it's not much more than what we paid so why not. It's all in what you prefer but we liked the quick walk to the beach area. It was a little bit of a walk to the lobby area but it's such a pleasant walk you won't mind. The lobby area has a bar with great Margaritas and it's also where the breakfast and dinner buffets are located. The lobby also has great sitting areas where you can just relax and have a drink and do some people watching.

The food - loved all three buffets. The variety was wonderful and I tend eat on the healthier side and it was all very accomodating. Breakfast buffet has an egg station where they make eggs any way you want them and omelets too... along with anything you could want on a breakfast buffet. Lunch buffet is located at the pool/beach area and it's so yummy - and in a perfect location. Just throw your cover up on and enjoy :) Dinner buffet is excellent - the food is fresh, delicious and plentiful. Oh and I can't forget the fresh juice bar on the beach - AMAZING and healthy - Go Willberth! He was a wiz with that Vita-Mix! There are four restaurants that you can also go to - Mexican, Italian, Spanish and Steak house. We went to all but the Spanish and quite honestly we enjoyed the buffets just as much if not more. You will not need reservations for the restaurants which is great if decide at the last minute that you'd like to try one. The Mexican was our favorite. It was definitely the best food I've ever had at an all inclusive resort.

The staff in every part of the resort was fantastic - friendly and courteous. Loved them all. I know a lot of people had complaints about the Vero Club staff (the kids in the red shorts) - I thought they were great. I did the aqua aerobics with them and they also invited us to do various activities (volley ball, spanish lessons, etc). They cater to the Italians because that's why they're there and that's what they are paid to do... Also they take pictures of you on the beach and you can go to the gift shop and purchase them if you like them. You'll see Riccardo there and he's an absolute pleasure to deal with.

As far as the beach - it was the most beautiful beach anyone could ask for. You can go for nice long walks in either direction and it's just beautiful... and spotless and not crowded at all. Pefection! The beach alone is worth the trip! The pool is beautiful as well and there's a great 'chill out' section with cabanas and hammocks as well three jacuzzi's with varying water temps - but I still couldn't leave the beach!

This was my first time to an all adult resort and it definitely makes a difference!

I can't recommend this resort enough - it far exceeded my expectations. I will absolutely go back there (...again and again) and will recommend it highly! So if you're researching resorts - don't hesitate with this one.

Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
20 Thank Denise D
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Although our stay was short, only 3 days, I haven't felt this relaxed in years. The serene athmosphere of this hotel puts your mind and body at ease. The only drawback for this hotel is the distance from the airport, 1hr 15min, I guess if it was closer it wouldn't be that quiet but I would definately go back there despite the distance.
The units are 3 stories high, the 1st floor has double beds, 2nd - king size beds and the 3rd is the honeymoon suite. We stayed on the 1st floor. Our unit was located closer to the beach. The units are positioned in the tropical forest with squirels, lemurs, lizzards and birds, so for evenings bring a bug spray. Then there are 2 pools. One is in a quiet zone with 6 cabanas sorrounding it. Nearby is the relaxation area with a pool table, ping pong table, a bookcase with books in English, French, Italian and Spanish. The other pool is quite big, sourrounded by lounge chairs, to get a good spot come early between 7~8am and through a towel, then head off to breakfast. Beyond the pool, there are 3 jacuzzi with different temperature settings, and then there is the beach. Its very beautiful as this being the only hotel, its not crowded at all.
For dinner, there is Grill, Mexican and Italian restaurants as well as the buffet. If you get hungry in between the meals, there is a seaside bar by the pool, a small bar in the lobby area which makes amazing cappucino/espresso or any cocktail, there is also a small stand on the beach where they make non-alchogolic smoothies with tropical fruits.
The service was very good, nobody is ever in your face, but only when you need them.
Truly a great experience!

• Stayed February 2012
10 Thank irina089
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xpu-Ha
31.7 km away
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
27.9 km away
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
34.9 km away
Ocean Maya Royale
Ocean Maya Royale
#48 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Royal Tulum? Share your experiences!