“Very average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wisbech
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
“Very average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Went for a Sunday Roast, but a tiny menu which did include roast beef or pork. Service and food was very average which was disappointing as the hotel looked good from outside.
I remember this place when it was a private residence - funny going into it as a hotel

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Derekf110
muguetu, Owner at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
Hello,
Thank you for your review, you mention the "Tiny" Sunday Lunch menu included Pork and Beef as though surprised. You will remember the other Meats like Lamb and Turkey which were also listed along with the Vegetarian options.
The Sunday Lunch menu is a "Very Average" price (£8.75) but we also run a full A La Carte and Brasserie menu in the other restaurants on a Sunday as well (booking essential though)
You may be a bit confused about the Hotel's previous life. We bought the building as an unfinished project 18 years ago and it has never been anything other than a Hotel and certainly never a private residence. If you contact me or call in some time I would be happy to give you a tour & a potted history of the Elme Hall Hotel.
Regards, The Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
AshbydelaZouch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Recently stayed for 2 nights when working in the area. The bedroom accommodation in the new lodge was well furnished, very clean and comfortable and the bottled water to complement the usual tea/coffee making facilites was a nice touch.
Customer service was excellent - always made to feel welcome and well looked after.
Good range of food available at breakfast - cereals, fruit, ham and cheese, pastries and a choice of cooked food - a bonus was the freshly brewed coffee which was far superior to most hotels.
Dinner was most enjoyable - a three course meal which was well cooked, nicely presented and good value.
As the hotel also serves food all day to non- residents, I would be happy to call in if passing.
Would be happy to stay again if visiting or working in the area.

Room Tip: Lodge rooms are relatively new
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JWDavies
muguetu, Front Office Manager at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay, reviews are very useful to us and aid in honing our performance.
I am glad you enjoyed your experience at the Elme Hall Hotel and will pass your comments on to the staff.
Regards
Keeley
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

We stayed at Elme Hall for 4 nights from 5th May and had a room in the new Lodge.

Although giving the owner just a couple of hours notice, the team at Elme Hall had the room ready for us when we arrived with a welcoming smile and a nice touch of good old fashioned service being shown to our room as well.

The reception we received on arrival was first class; check-in was easy and refreshingly the staff clearly do not read from a script - at all times during our stay we found them to be helpful beyond the call of duty.

Our room was much larger than expected, spotless and faultless in every way; comfy seats and coffee table to sit and relax with complimentary tea, coffee, bottled water and biscuits. The room had a wonderful bathroom with corner bath with shower over – exactly as we had requested. We didn’t think it could get any better until we discovered the food!

We had breakfast every morning – you can ask for whatever you want it seems! On one of the mornings we had to rush off early and they offered us bacon sandwiches, fruit juice and fruit ‘to go’ so we wouldn’t go hungry which we were very grateful for. Evening meals were tasty and very reasonably priced and with so many different areas in the hotel, you can choose whether you want the luxury of a quiet lounge and a glass of wine to sit and read the paper or a vibrant bar.

Clearly, a lot of money has been spent on this fantastic hotel offering everything you could possibly need. We observed couples, singles and young families and everyone we spoke to during our stay complimented Elme Hall.

Having spent over 50 nights in hotels in and around the area in the past year, I cannot believe we didn’t find Elme Hall earlier!
Reading other reviews, we felt it right to give our opinion of Elme Hall and we certainly cannot agree with anything they say.
Based on our experience of Elme Hall compared to other hotels, this is by far the best customer service we have ever received – just how it should be.

In summary, this is a fantastic family hotel with a prestigious feel and suited to all.
The accommodation is first class, food tasty and good value and nothing is too much of a problem for the team at Elme Hall.
Whatever you want - all you have to do is ask. It really is that easy!

This is our hotel of choice from now on and look forward to staying again – in fact, we have already booked a 2 night stay next weekend.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ChrisAndAlisonHants
Hello and thank you for reviewing your stay with us, we are glad that you had a pleasant and memorable stay. I will pass your comments onto the staff and we all look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Keeley
Wolverhampton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Nice hotel and friendly staff but if you want a good nights sleep DON'T BOTHER. Situated next to two main roads if you are put in the "lodge" the rooms are as noisy as hell. All you can hear is road traffic all night. God forbid if you have any noisy people coming back as they will wake you up. The bathroom in 120's shower does not work. The manager seemed quite complacent when complained to about the noise and just greeted more guests for breakfast. My advice is find a premier inn where you can be assured a good nights sleep. One to miss. It's worth a 5 mile drive away from this place. Should have thought about the location before building this place.

Room Tip: Too noisy too sleep right near a main road and no sound proofing.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RichSait
muguetu, Owner at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
I am sorry you have had such a bad experience, it’s a great pity you never mentioned anything during your two day stay with us, as an obvious light sleeper you could have easily been placed on another quieter side of the building straight away.

You did mention at check-out time that some guests had not returned to their room as quietly as you would have liked, I did apologise on their behalf and yes just as I greeted you, as the owner, I greet all guests when they arrive for breakfast in the morning.

Your Booking specifically requested a Bath rather than a shower, again, we could have also provided a room with any bathroom configuration you wish.

It would have been more reasonable of you to have made us aware of your problem at the time, giving us chance to correct things, rather than just go out to destroy our family business on the world wide web.
Owner
Telford, Shropshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

I visit Wisbech on a regular basis with my job but this time my usual hotel was fully booked so I chose the Elme Hall Hotel as it was closer to my workplace.
I had driven past this hotel many times and thought it looked a really nice place. To be honest, when I first pulled into the car park the external appearance made me think I had arrived at some flash country estate. Unfortunately, the interior doesn’t match the exterior.
The check-in was quick and easy and I was shown to me room which was in the Lodge annex.
The bedroom was OK and included everything you expect; TV, tea & coffee etc.
The hotel and rooms were very clean but things looked a bit drab and boring. Almost like it had been forgotten.
When I went down for a meal later that night I couldn't believe how quiet it was. There was one guy on reception who was obviously so bored he spent all evening watching movies on his laptop and the barmaid was setting up for breakfast.......at 630pm!! The restaurant was empty so I decided to have a bar meal. No great choice on the menu but better than nothing.
I returned to the bar later on that night expecting a few people to be in. Wrong!! It was as quiet as a churchyard!! I was the only one in there and was made to feel like I should go as the staff wanted to have an early night. Seriously, there's more atmosphere on the moon.
I had a couple of beers and then went back to my room to do some work. It’s free Wi-Fi here which is unusual. Most hotels find this as a perfect way of making money for nothing. Unfortunately, the Wi-Fi reception in the lodge section of the hotel was so bad I gave up and went to bed.
Breakfast was ok but there was only one option. You either had full English or you had cereals. The full English by the way was set so there was no choice offered. Good job I like food!!
So overall, not a great hotel and I doubt very much I will return.
I think the biggest problem is that the hotel owners have left the day-to-day running to a bunch of youngsters who would rather be doing something else.
The hotel needs a good shake-up otherwise its heading for closure. I honestly can't see how it makes a profit. Shame really cos it’s in a prime location and like I said, from the outside it looks great. Management need to take a look and inject some life onto the place before it’s too late

Room Tip: Last resort
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Stevie_m
muguetu, Manager at Elme Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear Undecided,
Thank you for taking time out construct and post your review, however the review seems largely to be based on your own “assumptions” and particular “expertise”?. First of all I am glad the check-in was quick and easy and the room equipped to your expectations. The room you stayed in was completed as a new build just a few months and having invested over 1 million pounds in the last year on this new block, it can hardly be described as “Forgotten”
6-30pm on a Sunday evening, having just finished our music concert is perhaps not the best time for “people watching”, however we do have 2 other Bars & 3 other Restaurants, one of which was being laid up for breakfast, and you chose to go for a bar snack rather than something off the other 3 menus, unlike the 2 other large group in our other restaurant taking in a family Sunday Roast. If you had mentioned to myself that you had come to see “People” then I could have booked something with “Renta-Crowd” or switched the TV to one of the popular “soaps”.
The “Guy” on reception was my Son who has spent the past 14 years living and working at the Hotel, he actually takes care of our IT and the “Movies” you assumed him to be watching were in fact images on our CCTV and security system that he was both monitoring and archiving.
It’s a pity you did not question him about the WiFi, he could have explained to you that it was a different password for the Lodge than the Hotel, hence your weak signal. After all who better suited than the person who designed the Wi-Fi system?
Your description of breakfast makes no mention of the freshly baked Bread & Pastries, the 9 types of Fresh and preserved fruits or the selection of Cold Meats and Cheeses. As My Wife and Myself Live-In and are present on site, I feel my Son is adult enough to watch the business whilst we are having dinner. Your misgivings about our “Profit” and predicted “Closure” are your assumptions, however as a Family business we are very happy with our level of business and the return on our investment since we were incorporated as a Limited Company 25 Years ago.
Chelmsford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Booked at the last minute wanting somewhere near to Peckover House. Stayed in the lodge which looked brand new. Comfortable nice size room, good powerful shower. Lovely breakfast with local ingrediants and cooked to order. Only disappointment didn't have evening meal as restaurant seemed lacking in atmosphere for evening meal and not great selection on menu. Although maybe we didn't see the a la carte menu. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda F
cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed here as part their "special" Valentine's deal which included the Meal and overnight stay. Booking by telephone was easy, their reservation staff extremely helpful and friendly enabling us to get the best deal.
Although we only live 30 Miles away, the weather had been bad and we wanted to enjoy a special meal without the restrictions of driving back late.
An Early Check in allowed us to have a soak, a drink and get ready for the evening meal. We arrived to a lovely warm and comfortable lounge with a welcoming drink of Champagne by the fire, after which we were shown to our table. The whole of the Hotel is a stunning classical building in absolute pristine condition, staff very friendly and our table near the open fire was wonderful. The food was out of this world.
Our bedroom was spacious and spotlessly clean with everything needed for a comfortable stay. The breakfast was a well laid out spread of English and Continental with lovely freshly brewed coffee.
This is a well managed and well run Hotel with staff that obviously not only enjoy their work, but show pride in the building, we will be booking a return very soon, but this time to the Jacuzzi Honeymoon suite which was unfortunately already booked when we enquired.
Congratulations Elme Hall on filling a much needed niche in the Wisbech area.

Room Tip: We viewed the Jacuzzi Honeymoon suite and have our hearts set on this one, but the room we stayed in...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alice j
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wisbech
2.1 km away
14.7 km away
The Castle Hotel
The Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Downham Market

Been to Elme Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!