“Remembering the souvlaki is still making my mouth water”
Review of Hellas Taverna

Hellas Taverna
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Handforth
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 February 2016

My boyfriend is Greek and is always taking me to Greek restaurants which is not a bad thing :) So when we went to Hellas Taverna for a standard meze meal I knew what to expect but I was really pleasantly surprised.
The restaurant has got the requisite Greek chintz and blue and white colour scheme but it also has a modern edge. The staff welcomed us warmly and we were offered water before ordering food or drinks. We fancied the meat meze but I really wanted Spanokopita which weren't on that set menu - not a problem - even my fussy little requests like that were dealt with easily with a smile.
The dips and pitta bread arrived quickly, the hummous was good, the tzatiki was a bit overly garlicky for me but the feta and red pepper dip was the best I've ever tasted by a country mile!
We then have a series of meze courses each tasty, fresh and well cooked. Easily competing with any Greek restaurant I've been to before. I was feeling happy and enjoying a good meal and then the pork Souvlaki arrived - OMG - I've never tasted anything like it. Its just a pork kebab it had no right tasting that good. The seasoning was amazing the meat was juicy and the fat content was just perfect. Even as full as I was I never wanted to stop eating it :)
Despite being so full my boyfriend insisted on ordering the Baclava for desert to share. I don't like Baclava so this 'to share' nonsense was just a ploy. I don't like Baclava, I don't like honey, I don't like nuts. I LOVED the Baclava!! Rich and sweet without being cloying. My exact words when I tried it were 'Wow - they aren't playing are they'
Overall I was really super impressed; the food was amazing, the atmosphere great (completely full on a Tuesday night), the staff warm and welcoming. Can't wait to go back and order double pork souvlaki this time.
Oh and on a side note the house white wine was really nice which I don't tend to expect from a Greek place, the wine can be a little suspect to say the best at some Greek restaurants.

1  Thank viv000

Reviewed 15 February 2016

This was the 1st time me and my partner had visited Hellas Taverna. Very very impressed. From the service, to the food everything was perfect. After a very friendly welcome, we were seated, given glasses of water while we browsed the menus. Our waiter then came over, checked if we had been before. As we had not been before he explained the valentines set menu to us, which was very useful. Our starters = lovely, mains = lovely and desserts = lovely. Not a negative word to say about the place. My 1st time trying baklava = amazing. Real homely feel to the place and highly recommend to anyone, We will definitely be returning..

Reviewed 14 February 2016 via mobile

Superb authentic Greek food, very attentive staff, don't just take my word for it, book a table & enjoy, you will not be disappointed

Reviewed 14 February 2016

Went here just before Christmas with my friend who is Greek and he recommended this place. It didn't disappoint. A very authentic Greek Taverna type atmosphere. Service was excellent and dished brought out "as they come" Greek style, i.e., as and when they are ready! You could tell that the food is home made and with fresh ingredients, very flavourful and really enjoyable. It's not expensive either and with a good bottle of wine to go with it, what more could you ask for!

Reviewed 14 February 2016

Have been here many times before and can only compliment Sofia, Vicky, Stathis, Lena and all the other staff on the consistently delicious food, excellent service and great atrmosphere. Not much more to say really except the house wine is lovely and good value and would definitely recommend a visit.