“Great all-in-one venue”

The Vicarage Freehouse & Rooms
Cuisines: Barbecue, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Vicarage; Freehouse & Rooms is a 17th Century Grade II listed country pub & hotel - essentially a restaurant with rooms. We are foodie-hub with a locally sourced menu - everything is driven by the gardeners, foragers, farmers and suppliers of Cheshire. The Vicarage takes its inspiration from the Cheshire countryside, utilising British produce and resources while championing eco-sustainability. The menus change depending on the seasons and what can be sourced locally. All our rooms echo our own country-boutique style ... but not overdone. We strip out any unnecessary nonsense and focus on everything that matters for a quality stay. A comfy bed, all have en-suite facilities, great decor, quality coffee facilities and a cracking breakfast. A simple recipe really...
Reviewed April 5, 2018

Stayed for a couple's weekend. Don't think my partner was massively impressed when we arrived for some reason, which is surprising because the lobby was clean and the lady on the desk was very friendly.

But my partner chilled out a bit once we got up to the room - good size, excellent and modern bathroom. Comfortable bed.

Spent the afternoon in the countryside after walking to a local pub to quaff goblets of gin (her) and local ale (me). Very nice, and great to get completely away from the trappings of modern life (e.g. reliable phone signal).

Had an excellent and very reasonably priced evening meal and some drinks in the Vicarage's restaurant / bar. Some good live music. The place was packed most of the time we were there. Spent about £80 on two mains, two starters, several drinks and a decent tip - an absolute bargain, especially considering we are used to London prices.

Was very useful to be able to nip upstairs when the night was finished rather than wait around for taxis, etc.

Checkout was smooth, and the staff kindly posted my electric toothbrush back to me after I left it in the room. Will come back to this place. Recommended for any couples looking for a relaxing weekend away.

1  Thank Ryan H

Reviewed March 31, 2018

We enjoyed a weekend at the Vicarage with our daughter and son in law. There was a lovely atmosphere in the hotel - dining room delightful though conservatory and bedroom areas less so. Dinner was good and breakfast brilliant. The best feature of the place was the staff who were all friendly, warm and very helpful.

1  Thank Robert P
Reviewed March 27, 2018 via mobile

The Vicarage is a free house pub with a big dining area and several modern rooms in a block at the back.
The decor is quirky with lots of old books lying around and the bed was comfortable. Everything was very clean. The staff were all friendly and helpful and quickly moved us when we discovered we were in a room with a dividing door to the next and could hear practically every breath our neighbour took (rooms 1&2- avoid). Good food with lots of choice for breakfast and all
very reasonably priced. Thoroughly recommended for a stopover

1  Thank Harry Y
Reviewed March 16, 2018 via mobile

Took my mother in law for afternoon tea as her Mother’s Day “treat”, unfortunately it wasn’t up to the standard we were hoping for. We arrived promptly (not early) yet despite there only been one other occupied table in the conservatory the waitress started moving tables to try and “shoehorn” us in on the table next to them. I asked if we could sit on the next table along so it wouldn’t be squashed and the waitress kindly reset the table whilst we waited in the main restaurant area. Drink orders were taken promptly, nice to get leaf tea but the cappuccino my MIL ordered was bitter and not very hot. We then had to wait 35 minutes for the food to arrive despite having booked and they were very quiet (despite it being a Friday lunch time). The food arrived and was set down without the usual description, we were not asked if extra drinks would be required. I’m quite a small eater and I can easily be over faced by large portions but even by my standards this was small especially from a savoury point of view. There was the equivalent of of one round of sandwiches (2 slices of bread) between the 2 of us, despite the long wait they were fridge cold and a bit dried out. On the savoury plate there were also 4 very small, crouton like slices of French bread with toppings, unfortunately they weren’t very crisp so it tasted like cold slightly soggy toast, we ate the smoked salmon from the top of 2 of them. There were 3 dainty portions of cake each, the absolute hi light was a mini lemon meringue tart which was lovely, crisp pastry, tangy lemon curd and chewy meringue. The brownie square was fridge cold and bitter. What I think was almond cake was ok apart from having an over done bottom and some incredibly acidic orange jelly on top. The scones were very flat but warm, I had to go and ask for some more jam though as we’d been given 1 single serve pot between the 2 of us. We stayed about 90 minutes and despite the waitress popping in to clear the other table we were never asked if we’d like more drinks. Also when I paid I was not asked if the food had been nice or if we’d enjoyed our visit, I can only surmise that they aren’t really that interested.

4  Thank Cakeyourday
Reviewed March 13, 2018 via mobile

Fine dining? That MUST be a joke!
Been here a few times as friends like it as a drink location and had some function meetings. Went on Mother’s Day and it was spoilt by poor management. Young service staff are great but whomever organises service needs to walk. 1 hour 15 mins to be served a poor meal? Soup was pretty awful, lamb not good at all and hugely fatty and what’s the £4.50 supplement for beef! Bloody hell that makes it £24 for one plate of two potatoes, dried up veg and one piece of beef. Very expensive crap food.

4  Thank Sensiblefriend