My husband and I spent an overnight at this hotel on our way back from London by car. The hotel is about 15 minutes drive from the M6 set in lovely countryside so it was a good choice for a stop over.
We checked in around 3 in the afternoon and the recption staff were quick, friendly and effecient. We were in an Executive Room in the new annexe. This was an upgrade for us as we were booked into a Classic Room on a special dinner, bed and breakfast rate.
I was concerned as we were shown to our room to see room service breakfast trays (at least 2 or 3 of them) still lying in the hallway. It was slovenly and gave me cause for concern about the state we'd find our room. My concerns were ill founded as the room was spotless and well appointed. There is also a stuffed cat which you place outside your door instead of a "do not disturb" sign - a lovely touch.
The rooms are modern and well kitted out (hairdryer, mini fridge with free mineral water, tea and coffee making, flat screen TVs in both the room and bathroom). The bathroom was spacious and had an excellent shower with rainfall head and side sprays.
We visited the spa which had a lovely large pool, hydro pool and steam room. It was clean and well maintained.
The hotel has a bistro in the spa offering light bites, sandwiches and the like. A sandwich is an easy thing to produce but it is great when it is done really well. My sandwich of thick cut granary bread, cheese and chutney was excellent. The bread was soft and fresh, the cheese good quality and the chutney tangy. My husband's steak pie was a good size and full of tender beef. All in all very well done.
The breakfast also was excellent. The cooked items on offer were clearly freshly prepared with good quality ingredients and the buffet had a good selection too.
The only criticism I would make is of the dinner. The hotel restaurant advertises "fine dining" and on the special rate it is no doubt good value. The trouble is that the food is overly fancy. Rather than producing decent, fairly simple dishes and doing them really well, the restaurant food is fussy and the added frills and French names cannot disguise the fact that the food is just not of the very highest standard. Don't get me wrong, it is not awful or inedible, it is just disappointing especially when the more casual fare on offer at the bistro was so good.
All in all though, I would return here and I would recommend it to a friend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1816, Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa is a four AA red star, Grade II Georgian Hall situated close to Nantwich in Cheshire. Part of the Hand Picked Hotel collection Rookery Hall is set in 38 acres of private gardens and grounds offering a selection of 70 well-appointed bedrooms and suites, extensive meeting and event facilities, a Health Club & Spa and a 2 AA Rosette Restaurant. The Health Club and Spa is set adjacent to the main hotel and offers a variety of luxurious treatments with seven treatment rooms, manicure and pedicure suite, Rasul mud therapy chamber, waterwall sensory relaxation room, glass roofed 17 metre indoor swimming pool, fully-equipped gym, fitness studio and a Cafe Bar. Rookery Hall's spa is recognised as one of the top residential spas in the country and offers a full range of spa treatments by expert therapists using the Elemis product house. Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa was initially awarded 4 AA red stars in 2013 and has retained these for 2014 and 2015. The hotel was also awarded Hotel Restaurant of the Year 2014 at the Nantwich Food Festival and Solo Spa of the year 2014 at the Good Spa Guide Awards. Conveniently located 15 minutes away from the M6, Rookery Hall is within easy reach of Chester and Manchester and the medieval town of Nantwich, just 5 minutes away. Crewe station which connects via high-speed train to London and Manchester is also just a short drive away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rookery Hall Hotel And Spa
- Rookery Hall Hotel Nantwich
- Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa Nantwich, Cheshire, UK