“Huge menu and delicious cakes!!”

Davenports Tea Room
Ranked #18 of 134 Restaurants in Northwich
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Awarded the Top Tea Room in the UK by the prestigious Tea Guild Inspectors. Seating up to 55 with 25 additional seating in the tea garden. The tea room is Alice in Wonderland themed due to being only 2 miles from Lewis Carroll's birthplace. A family business established in 1947 though the same family has traded in Northwich since 1928. Specialising in afternoon tea, with over 38 loose leaf teas and a wide range of artisan coffees, delicious home-made cakes and a good selection of delicious home-made light lunches. Themed events such as Mad Hatters Tea Party, Victorian Christmas and Halloween evening make even more special reasons to return. Booking in advance is highly recommended to avoid disappointment, but you can drop in for a tea and cake especially on a sunny day after cycle ride or a lovely walk.
Reviewed September 8, 2015

Huge choices of teas and coffees. The scones are amazing and the setting inside is adorable!! Lots to look at and enjoy both inside and out. Love this place!

Reviewed August 30, 2015 via mobile

Very expensive and not worth it.
I had toast and that was tasty, but I got Victoria sponge to takeout and it was rubbish.
My friends meals were all poor...
The coffee was nice and there's a huge selection of teas as well and they serve them in pretty China mugs.
I had the baby in a baby vest and stood up and there were loads of dead wasps on the windowsill...gross!!!
Toilets are nice but no baby change so had to go change the baby in the car.....
It's got character but really expensive for bad food... Would not go again.
Also I emailed to book and they took ages to get back as 'missed' email... Maybe don't have email as a method of making a reservation then....
Then 5.30 the night before had a voicemail off them, called back and they were closed, and couldn't open voicemail I live an hour away and was organising meal for my friends 30th so praying they weren't cancelling

1  Thank Sarah S
DavenportsNorthwich, Owner at Davenports Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2015

Interesting comments as your party all ate the bacon sandwiches and poached eggs we served and no one made any negative comments either at the table or when paying your bill, and we cleared clean plates. We sold two freshly baked Victoria sponge cakes that weekend all within the tea room except yours which you took home and everyone else loved it, and that particular cake is a National and Regional Award winning recipe, so I'm not sure why you didn't like it. Baby changing facilities are available, however not in both toilets. As we have an old building we are constantly monitoring spider activity and overnight they did catch a few wasps. You arrived as we opened and I'm sorry we didn't spot it immediately as it was hidden in the far corner of the window cill, however they were removed shortly after you left. Please accept apologies as this clearly upset you.

Reviewed August 29, 2015

This tea room is very good when it's good. By that, I mean sometimes they struggle a bit to supply everything on the menu because everything (I think) is baked fresh. The venue is nice inside but although it's in the middle of North Cheshire, the outside is just OK. They do know their tea though and quite recently got an award for it so definitely worth a visit if you're after afternoon tea.

Reviewed August 26, 2015

It was our first visit to Davenports on the 15th August we took our mum and dad for their Birthdays. Very Quaint Tea Room was very impressed with EVERYTHING, service was brilliant the staff very friendly, cakes and sandwiches were delicious, potted beef lovely, great selection of scrummy cakes. I bought some Lilies from the flower shop absolutely Beautiful and I have still got them. Would certainly recommend. Planning on going back in September. Brilliant !

Reviewed August 24, 2015

What a lovely tea room. Took my mother for afternoon tea yesterday. Service was brilliant and very attentive. Food was top quality and the cakes are a work of art. Everything is locally sourced.
My only issue that prevents giving this 5 for a review is their insistence on charging for additional pots of tea but that is a minor criticism.