“Disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Widnes
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Stayed 1 night. Room clean & comfortable but bathroom badly needs upgrading, jacuzzi didn't work, told by staff 'none do'! Windows very dirty so glad there was no view to be spoilt. Breakfast good but limited refreshments in room, no biscuits, no fridge. Room was opposite function suite, very noisy until 1pm!

Room Tip: Booked a suite, definitely not good value for money, some sort of motor/engine near room (?heating...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Denise F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Last night I had arranged (at short notice) a surprise 40th Birthday for my wife (30 guests). I first met up with the general manager (Richard) on Wednesday 11th January. Immediately, I was impressed with his "can do attitude", his professionalism, his knowledge and politeness. His staff, from reception to bar staff where also courteous, helpful and extremely pleasant - and this was just whilst I was awaiting an appointment with Richard.

Richard helped me plan a menu and the itinery for the evening, even down to special dietary requirements for one of the guests.

Then came the evening itself. What can I say ?!!! Richard, his team of staff where nothing short of exceptional. The food the chef provided was first class - full of flavours and very inventive. (one small complaint - I never got to thank the chef personally - he deserved a BIG well done). The staff were attentive without being overley fussy, provided a first class service and every single guest commented on how lovely the evening was, how wonderful the staff were and how great the food was.

Myself, my wife and children will certainly be going back to sample more of the same.

Huge congratulations and well done - thank you very much for a fantastic evening.

Many Thanks

Paul & Cath

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Durham
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Booked a family room to attend a friend's party and though most of the hotel had been refurbished the room we were given was not. 1980's decor with shabby carpet, Walls etc but would pass for one night. However when we returned to the hotel in the evening it seems our room was right above the dj from a wedding event. Despite going to reception to complain we were informed that the music would be on till 1am - so we just had to put up with it!! Try telling your small children this when they are crying and wanting to go to sleep! Who would place family rooms right above the main disco room? The next day we tried to speak to a manager but no-one was available. The customer service we received was appalling and unless you are attending an event at the hotel and don't mind noise from drunken guests till 3am I would avoid this hotel at all costs! We stay in hotels regularly and this was honestly the worst we have encountered!! I am still awaiting a response from the hotel manager yet we stayed over 2 months ago!

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Lilacpepper

Travellers are raving about these Widnes hotels

liverpool
Reviewed 10 December 2011

had a brillaint night last night at the hollywood christmas night. food was great as was the service, the disco and the beds. we all had a great time and wanted to say thanks especially to sam for looking after us so well x

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Visited here recently for 3 course sunday lunch, it was awful. Been here previous 12 months ago, it has now been refurbished, decor lovely but thats about it. Starter is a help yourself salad with a few bits of meat etc, main i ordered roast beef along with my father, he got what we were told was his and the rest of the table got theirs. After i asked were mine was the manageress came flying over shouting thats for 2!! (refering to the beef my father had been given) i then had to share his!!! The food was cold and my sons chicken was raw bloody by the bone, the abrupt manageress wasnt really bothered about any of us and her staff were a bit clueless, i could go on and on. Next time we will stick to the Toby carvery.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I have stayed at this hotel for many years and this time I have noticed big changes. Refitted dining room and better food. The staff are all very friendly and the hotel and food is reasonably priced and ideally situated for visiting my relatives in the area

Room Tip: I have always stayed in the same room as it allows me continuity and feeling of 'homeliness'...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank chemics27
Liverpool
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We got married in Scotland and had a party at the Stobart Stadium when we come back to celebrate. We decided to book a night here following the party. I had not looked on trip advisor and was so sorry I didn't.
The room was filthy, the bathroom had cracked tiles and holes in the walls. The bed covers looked old and shabby.
At the time of booking I mentioned that we were staying following our wedding party, thinking that this could have been recognised, however it wasn't. A friend of ours had also booked a room, on the same website and for the same rate and got a Suite with a whirl pool bath, although both the descriptions said "superior room". There was nothing superior about our room. It also, bizarrely had a single bed in the corner with a white sheet over it???
One funny thing we did notice was at the side of reception there was some awards and one was they had scored 3 which was satisfactory in food hygiene.... is that something to be proud of??? Maybe a 2 or 1 but to advertise that the food is satisfactory baffles me.
We paid £65 for one night and this did not include the "satisfactory" breakfast.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Widnes
2.1 km away
7.4 km away
Travelodge Warrington Gemini
Travelodge Warrington Gemini
#7 of 21 in Warrington

Been to The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes? Share your experiences!