“Nice Pub - Shame about the Room”
Review of Bower House Inn

Bower House Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Eskdale B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We would like to comment on our recent stay at the Bowerhouse Inn where we were allocated a premium room in the main building.

Our first impressions were that the room was a reasonable size although a little dark. However on closer inspection it appeared quite grubby and after an uncomfortable night’s sleep it became obvious that the mattress was very worn and uncomfortable and I, myself, suffered back pains for several days afterwards.

The shower also left a lot to be desired. The grouting was black and mouldy and the showerhead could not be adjusted for showering and could only be used at a 90 degree angle. Also the bathroom door could not be closed from within the bedroom and had to be left ajar.

There were stains on the carpet and window seat furnishings. We also wondered why there was an ash tray on the chest of drawers.

The good points about the room were the flat screen TV, the fluffy towels and the toiletries.

It doesn’t give us pleasure to make these comments but we have done so in the hope that the management will take note and improve the room for future visitors. We were unable to express our concerns on departure as no manager was available.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GailEggborough

Reviewed 4 December 2011

Stayed here whilst working in the area for the weekend. Nice surprise to have been upgraded to a double room rather than the single I booked as the pub didn't have many residents that night. Kindly had my bag carried to my room by Andy who looked after us for our stay (my friends who were also working with me stayed as well).

The room was clean, warm with traditional decor, and the bed was HUGE!!! What a treat for me as I was expecting a single!
It had a good tv with extra channels which was nice as I was on my own!

A god send was the lovely mini shampoo and conditioners as I really wanted to wash my hair and had left mine behind- the shower was fab as well, nice hot and good pressure. There isn't a hair dryer (I didn't expect one an had my own but just to pre warn others) also there was a double plug socket by the mirror so drying and straightening my hair was made easy (that may sound daft but I have stayed in places where it is a nightmare to get ready!)

We ate in the bar that night, it was cosy with the fire and the food was lovely and reasonable in price.

After a fantastic nights sleep in a very comfy bed, we enjoyed a beautiful breakfast.

I have marked this place as excellent, because it is what they say it is. It is not a posh boutique hotel, it is a pub with cosy rooms, fires, and a friendly welcome. I would definitely stay here if I was back in the area. Special thanks to Andy who really couldn't have been any more accomadating.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank CJinCumbria
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed near the Bower house and were really disappointed with the pub. It had great reviews so were excited about having such a nice pub within walking distance. The staff were friendly but at times seriously overworked. The bar was often unmanned. The food was average. Meat good but a sunday lunch with two carrots and one sliver of parsnip didn't really impress. The biggest disappointment was that the pub did not take dogs during eating times. However this rule did not apparently extend to small dogs. As a couple with dogs one of the attractions of the lake district is long walks and evenings in the pub with them. Overall disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DevonAnon
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Just visited the bower house inn and I loved it I came with my best friend and we stayed In room three in the barn. The room Is quite small but very cosy and warm. I had read the bad reviews on here and thought they were totally wrong. The room was cleaned and staff were very helpfull I also had a good chat
To the owner 'Samantha' she was very pleasant and we had a chat and a drink. After our two night stay I would defiantly request this hotel to other people.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Stayed at the Bower House for 3 nights with friends. Food was good, room was clean,staff were helpful and friendly. Asked for room change as first room in the garden block had no shower. Second room (barn room no 3) had shower but was tiny and dark with only 1 bath sheet and 1 hand towel for 2 people. We were given more when we asked at reception. Bed not particularly comfortable. There was only 2 double sockets in the room for tv, kettle and bedside lights(one of them via a trailing extension socket!) The kettle had to be moved to the bedside table to plug it in(unplugging one of the bedside lights) and I didn't notice any PAT testing stickers on the plugs! The 'dressing table' was about 16inches wide, in a corner against the wall, so not easy to sit at as it blocked the way around the bed, and no room to unpack toiletries so left in them in the bag. It really should have been a single not double. Barely room to walk around the bed! Drinks were quite pricey. Overall I think it was expensive £200 for 3 nights bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Dad & I stayed for 3 nights (23/9/11) - dinner , bed & breakfast. Everything about the hotel is great - the staff were all excellent, the food was lovely and the beer + wine is brilliant. Even the wet weather didn't spoil a fantastic short break. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Stayed at above 19th Sept for 3 nights room was comortable added bonus for us because we were in the barn room number 1 we were allowed to smoke in the room but when we booked they said completely non smoking drinks were a bit pricey food was good also breakfast very good but I think overpriced at £200.00 for 3 nights

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eskdale
3.8 km away
2.5 km away
The Santon Bridge Inn
The Santon Bridge Inn
#2 of 5 in Holmrook

Been to Bower House Inn? Share your experiences!