“Perfect place, lovely owners and staff. Will definitely go back”
Review of Gosforth Hall Inn

Gosforth Hall Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Gosforth
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We stayed for seven days in wonderful Gosforth Hall. It is a very special place. The owners are warm and friendly, the staff kind and professional. We arrived late on a Saturday night, and the owner helped us with our bags to our room, which was spacious and cosy (albeit a little dark). Coffee, hot chocolate, biscuits, tea, millk and mineral water are in generous supply. The TV is good quality with a number of free digital channels. Every day the room was cleaned spotlessly with fresh towels. Important to me, was that there is also free Wi-Fi and good mobile phone signal.

Food in Gosforth Hall is second to none. The home-made pies are world famous and we ate hearty meals on numerous occasions. They have good beer on tap, including our favorites : Kronebourg and good quality Guinness. If I had one request, it would be to offer some deep filled bauguettes/sandwiches on the menu as well.

The owners could not have been more engaging and helpful, offering guidance to special places, navigation advice and good conversation. Gosforth Hall had a hotel manager as well, Miss Lucy Kennedy, who could not have been more obliging. She has a gift in looking after guests.

I and my partner arrived at Gosforth Hall, tired and a little worn. We left a week later, happy, revived, and needing to go on a diet, after all the excellent food.

We would recommend this place to anyone interested in the Lakes, and all the beauty around. Gosforth Hall is the gateway to Wasdale and is at the edge of Gosforth village.

Room Tip: A brilliant place to stay. Book in advance.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 April 2011

This was the first time we have stayed here and I thought it would be useful to add a review and to offer some constructive feedback.

When booking this I presumed it was a hotel as it is described as such, but on arrival discovered it is actually an Inn/pub with accommodation. It appears that Gosforth Hall has an identity crisis, it describes itself in some parts as a hotel in others as an Inn, clearly these are two different types of accommodation, and clarity would be useful for prospective guests.

On arrival I presumed there would be a reception area, however the ‘reception’ is actually the bar in the pub. We may have been unlucky in our timing but the bar crowded and noisy and was full of people watching rugby and had clearly been drinking all day. Having to walk through the group of smokers outside the main entrance each time was hardly pleasant nor did it give a very good impression of the place.

I enquired at the bar about checking in, I was given the room key and told where it was, there was no offer to help with any luggage etc. as is normal in most hotels, in fact it was impossible to bring our luggage through the very crowded bar area.

The room had obviously been well decorated but the lighting in the room was terrible, consisting of a few very small spotlights and whilst it may be intended to provide an ambiance, it would make more sense to provide full lighting that could be dimmed by preference. It was impossible to read or anything in the room such was the lighting situation. The corner that had the tea making facility was in almost darkness, which I presume the owners are aware of as they set up this area each day.

On the second day we returned to the hotel quite late and the one local shop was closed, we were also very tired and did not want to eat in the restaurant so enquired about the possibility of having some food in our room, I was informed that this wasn’t possible and that it was ‘a B&B not a hotel’, I found this somewhat strange as I had booked on the understanding it was a hotel and it does actually call itself a hotel!

I feel a request for a plate of sandwiches or similar was hardly overly demanding, as it was we had to make do with a couple of bags of crisps and nuts from the bar.

On the plus side, the breakfast was nice and the staff seemed friendly enough, the room we had was beautifully decorated, the bathroom was very well stocked and tastefully done. The location is very well situated for access to Wasland and Seascale.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris B
Reviewed 9 February 2011

I would highly recommend this place i first stayed here in June 2008 and istantly loved it. Babs and Ron are very friendly and make you feel like your at home. The breakfast is excellent and the evening meals are fantastic especially the steaks! I have been back since every year and will continue to do so.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2010

We recently stayed here in this wonderful hotel. A huge roaring log fire welcomed us on a cold autumn afternoon. The staff are friendly and the hotel is full of character. Lovely warm bedroom, spotlessly clean. Our Evening Meal was brilliant - busy restaurant with lovely buzzing atmosphere. Breakfast just right. Would highly recommend - it is ideally placed for some lovely lakeland fell walking.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2010

Had a most enjoyable & comfortable stay at this old Inn. Loved the way the character of this place has been kept. We had been travelling around Ireland & England for almost 3 weeks, before our one night stay here, and of all the meals we'd eaten in different Pubs & Restaurants, declared this the best! My salmon meal was so beautifully cooked, and my husbands home made pie was delicious.Being gluten intolerant,my request for a special meal is often "to hard" and I end up eating another boring salad. It seemed nothing was too much trouble for the friendly staff, here. Annie was very nice & helpful when we checked out, suggesting different places nearby that were worth a visit, for us, Australian tourist. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. Marilyn from Brisbane.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We enjoyed our stay here quite a bit, and have often returned for dinner, bringing others, when we are nearby. Friendly staff, nice pub, and enjoyable bier garten on a dry day. Good live music once a month, too. Good all around, recommended!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2010

This was a stay while we attended a family funeral, and many of the guests had the same surname, despite the fact that they booked independently. I booked 3 rooms for myself and my wife, for my daughter-in-law and for my son. My son checked out after one night despite having booked for two nights because he had to return home urgently. However he was under the impression that another family member needed his room that night and told the manager so. He asked me to pay the bill when I checked out. In fact, no-one took his room. The following morning some guests booked out, but had quereies about the rate they had been charged as it appeared to be different from the headline rates quoted on the website. The member of staff (who said she was only the chef) could not give answer and had to get the manageress out of bed to come and explain. She appeared in a dressing gown and night clothes and an aggressive confrontation followed. There was some residual aggression when others were subsequently dealt with. We and another couple asked if it was possible to take advantage of the specal rates for a third night, and she very reluctantly agreed (as the second of the couples to make the request, her reply was 'I suppose you'll want the reduced rates as well'. I mentioned about my son leaving early, and told her that I was expecting to pay the bill. I said that that would be OK if she felt it necessary, although when he left he thought the room was needed. She replied 'I might decide not to charge it'. The process took over an hour from the time I first asked.
Next morning we needed to leave promptly so immediately I finished my breakfast I asked to check out. The chef found what she thought was my room bill, but could find no bill for my son, so I paid for my room and for the one night my son had stayed. I mentioned about the cancellation charge and asked the chef to tell the manager that if she required the cancellation charge, she could phone up as she was not yet up. I went up to my room to bring my cases down and the chef appeared at the door to say that she had found a bill which appeared to show that I owewd about £450. I had to go downstairs and attempt to show what I had paid for, what had been paid by others. After I had been doing this for about 10 minutes, the manageress appeared. It transpired that the chef had charged me £20 short on my room. She then told me I had not paid the £55 cancellation charge. I said 'you were considering cancelling it.' She replied 'I did, but now I'm going to charge it.' At no point did I do anything other than ask for a clear idea of what I was being asked to pay for. I was not aggressive or rude. In all, the checking out pocess took about 1 hour again. After we had put bags in the car and said goodbyes to all the family, my wife went back into the hotel to use the toilet. While I waited in thebar, the manageress talked to another man in the bar about a customer having gone off without paying, and that she would have to write off £140 from the till.
Members of our family paid about £1200 for rooms and meals over the 3 days at a time when normal bookings would be at their lowest.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Gosforth-Hall, Owner at Gosforth Hall Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2010

I firmly believe that anyone reading this review can extract the facts, especially if they have stayed with us before. Mr Venn's group cancelled rooms at late notice and argued about paying, despite recieving terms and conditions at the time of the booking. The only issue with room rate was with Mrs Venn, after other guests were overheard talking about the 'Special' weekend rate that they had been offered at the time of booking. Mrs Venn was very put out that we would not apply the same offer to her booking, despite making the booking at a different time and recieving confirmation of rate. Without wanting to risk family issues for the Venn's, we recieved a call on the Monday afternoon following departure from another member of the family, applogising for the behavious of Mr and Mrs Venn. Please be assured that we take these reviews very seriously, however we have not picked up anything from this review that we can particularly change and are writing it off as a guest/accommodation mismatch. Please read the review again and make up your own mind.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gosforth
0.5 km away
34.4 km away
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
28.4 km away
The Keswick Country House Hotel

Been to Gosforth Hall Inn? Share your experiences!