“Fantastic”

and 1 more site!
Gosforth Hall Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Gosforth
Reviewed 9 February 2011

I would highly recommend this place i first stayed here in June 2008 and istantly loved it. Babs and Ron are very friendly and make you feel like your at home. The breakfast is excellent and the evening meals are fantastic especially the steaks! I have been back since every year and will continue to do so.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 October 2010

We recently stayed here in this wonderful hotel. A huge roaring log fire welcomed us on a cold autumn afternoon. The staff are friendly and the hotel is full of character. Lovely warm bedroom, spotlessly clean. Our Evening Meal was brilliant - busy restaurant with lovely buzzing atmosphere. Breakfast just right. Would highly recommend - it is ideally placed for some lovely lakeland fell walking.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2010

Had a most enjoyable & comfortable stay at this old Inn. Loved the way the character of this place has been kept. We had been travelling around Ireland & England for almost 3 weeks, before our one night stay here, and of all the meals we'd eaten in different Pubs & Restaurants, declared this the best! My salmon meal was so beautifully cooked, and my husbands home made pie was delicious.Being gluten intolerant,my request for a special meal is often "to hard" and I end up eating another boring salad. It seemed nothing was too much trouble for the friendly staff, here. Annie was very nice & helpful when we checked out, suggesting different places nearby that were worth a visit, for us, Australian tourist. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. Marilyn from Brisbane.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We enjoyed our stay here quite a bit, and have often returned for dinner, bringing others, when we are nearby. Friendly staff, nice pub, and enjoyable bier garten on a dry day. Good live music once a month, too. Good all around, recommended!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2010

This was a stay while we attended a family funeral, and many of the guests had the same surname, despite the fact that they booked independently. I booked 3 rooms for myself and my wife, for my daughter-in-law and for my son. My son checked out after one night despite having booked for two nights because he had to return home urgently. However he was under the impression that another family member needed his room that night and told the manager so. He asked me to pay the bill when I checked out. In fact, no-one took his room. The following morning some guests booked out, but had quereies about the rate they had been charged as it appeared to be different from the headline rates quoted on the website. The member of staff (who said she was only the chef) could not give answer and had to get the manageress out of bed to come and explain. She appeared in a dressing gown and night clothes and an aggressive confrontation followed. There was some residual aggression when others were subsequently dealt with. We and another couple asked if it was possible to take advantage of the specal rates for a third night, and she very reluctantly agreed (as the second of the couples to make the request, her reply was 'I suppose you'll want the reduced rates as well'. I mentioned about my son leaving early, and told her that I was expecting to pay the bill. I said that that would be OK if she felt it necessary, although when he left he thought the room was needed. She replied 'I might decide not to charge it'. The process took over an hour from the time I first asked.
Next morning we needed to leave promptly so immediately I finished my breakfast I asked to check out. The chef found what she thought was my room bill, but could find no bill for my son, so I paid for my room and for the one night my son had stayed. I mentioned about the cancellation charge and asked the chef to tell the manager that if she required the cancellation charge, she could phone up as she was not yet up. I went up to my room to bring my cases down and the chef appeared at the door to say that she had found a bill which appeared to show that I owewd about £450. I had to go downstairs and attempt to show what I had paid for, what had been paid by others. After I had been doing this for about 10 minutes, the manageress appeared. It transpired that the chef had charged me £20 short on my room. She then told me I had not paid the £55 cancellation charge. I said 'you were considering cancelling it.' She replied 'I did, but now I'm going to charge it.' At no point did I do anything other than ask for a clear idea of what I was being asked to pay for. I was not aggressive or rude. In all, the checking out pocess took about 1 hour again. After we had put bags in the car and said goodbyes to all the family, my wife went back into the hotel to use the toilet. While I waited in thebar, the manageress talked to another man in the bar about a customer having gone off without paying, and that she would have to write off £140 from the till.
Members of our family paid about £1200 for rooms and meals over the 3 days at a time when normal bookings would be at their lowest.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Gosforth-Hall, Owner at Gosforth Hall Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2010

I firmly believe that anyone reading this review can extract the facts, especially if they have stayed with us before. Mr Venn's group cancelled rooms at late notice and argued about paying, despite recieving terms and conditions at the time of the booking. The only issue with room rate was with Mrs Venn, after other guests were overheard talking about the 'Special' weekend rate that they had been offered at the time of booking. Mrs Venn was very put out that we would not apply the same offer to her booking, despite making the booking at a different time and recieving confirmation of rate. Without wanting to risk family issues for the Venn's, we recieved a call on the Monday afternoon following departure from another member of the family, applogising for the behavious of Mr and Mrs Venn. Please be assured that we take these reviews very seriously, however we have not picked up anything from this review that we can particularly change and are writing it off as a guest/accommodation mismatch. Please read the review again and make up your own mind.

Reviewed 10 August 2009

We stayed at the Gosforth hall inn for 2 nights to attend a wedding. Our room (room 2 ) was huge, with loads of space for the cot for our 1 year old daughter. The bathroom was large and comfortable.

it was a bit of a trek to find this hotel, whihc was recommended by the bride, but it was definitely worth it. The staff were all cheerful and helpful and nothing was too much bother.

The only downside for us was that the freeview box had tuning problems so we couldn't find cbbebies for our daughter's nightly fix of In the Night Garden!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2009

I have had two stays in this hotel, both times I found the staff to be helpful and very welcoming. The rooms are clean and of a reasonable size with the usual facilities. The building has bags of character, with a stone spiral staircase up to the bedrooms that could be a bit hazardous after a few pints of ale in the cosy bar downstairs! I felt the food didn't quite match the standard of the rest of my stay, despite the welcoming promise of a homemade pie and chips it's not at the level of a good pub that I'd visit especially to eat, but it is perfectly adequate and reasonably priced if you don't feel like going elsewhere. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gosforth
0.6 km away
The Ryebeck
#3 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
28.2 km away
The Keswick Country House Hotel

Been to Gosforth Hall Inn? Share your experiences!