All reviews dog friendly hotel four poster bed bar area evening meal cream tea bridal suite buffet style night break games room garden room busy road open fire lake district both nights steam room family room short stay
Reviewed June 16, 2018

A group of seventeen walkers spent 4 nights at Newby Bridge Hotel on a DB&B basis. It proved an excellent base for walking over the modest fells overlooking the southern ends of Lakes Coniston and Windermere and Morecambe Bay.

Everyone was satisfied with the size, cleanliness and contents of the hospitality tray in the 11 bedrooms rooms we occupied on the first and second floor. Two of the bedrooms had a four poster bed and some antique furniture. My bathroom contained a shower / wet room as well as a bath and a generous supply of toiletries and towels. I found the bathroom floor somewhat slippy. I do not think the hotel has a lift, but that was not issue for our party.

Most of our group selected breakfast from a range of hot and cold dishes, although a few asked for and were served some fish. We pre-order our dinner from a 4/4/4 choices menu, which included dishes suitable for Jewish and vegetarian members of our party. The helpings were generous, excellently prepared and presented, and most importantly tasty. On one evening, some over cooked salmon was quickly replaced.

In the late afternoon, we enjoyed a drink on the picnic tables on the front lawn overlooking the River Leven and in the bar in the evening. The cost of the beer was not excessive, but the wine was somewhat pricey in line with the hotel being a wedding venue. We were also able to use a lounge for a quiz and a memory game on two evenings. I was able to access WiFi in the lounge and bar areas, but did not use my tablet in my bedroomd.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Rabyrover
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Newby Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2018

We often get groups of walkers in, but they don't always leave a review. We really appreciate you taking the time to do so and for your 5 star rating, We couldn't be happier that the hotel was able to provide you with a an excellent base from which to explore the southern Lake District. We're very pleased that everyone enjoyed their stay and we thank you for the great feedback. Perhaps we will welcome you back another time! Thank you.

Reviewed June 14, 2018

We had a fantastic short break at the Newby Bridge hotel. The location was lovely, overlooking Lake Windemere and the extremely well kept & ornate hotel gardens at the back. The rooms were a good size, clean & comfortable, the service from all staff was friendly, helpful, prompt and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was great and having the option of the hotel or the pub adjoining it to eat in the evenings was helpful.We cannot wait to go back to the Lake District and stay at this hotel again.

Room tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel overlook the gardens. You can see Lake Windemere from the front but there is a well used road inbetween.
2  Thank JacquelineP2235

It was lovely to welcome you and give you a brilliant short stay in the Lake District. Wonderful to read your delightful comments, particularly those about our staff. Everyone always appreciates a kind word or two about their hard work! We'll certainly look forward to welcoming you back. Until then, take care!

Reviewed June 5, 2018

We recently spent 3 nights at the Newby Bridge for a wedding we attended. I should point out that the wedding itself went very well and the staff were excellent at catering and organising the event.

However, I have a number of grievances in regards to our stay.

1: We have 14 month old twins and asked for a family room with 2 travel cots. And this is exactly what we got. However, the room was at the highest and furthest part of the hotel, up 3 flights of stairs (with no lift). As you can imagine with young twins comes a lot of luggage, and this resulted in a lot of trips up and down 3 flights of stairs with luggage. (other members of the wedding party were housed in family rooms on the ground floor who had no children) In hindsight we should have swapped but after about an hour of checking in we had exploded into our room, and having already done 6 trips up and down stairs with luggage and I couldn't face doing it again. I think a little common sense could have been used here when allocating rooms- for future reference travel cots = lots of luggage for the occupants, 2 travel cots = lots and lots of luggage :-)

2: The TV didn't work- we pointed this out on 3 separate occasions and highlighted the necessity for a tv given that my wife had to stay with the twins in the evenings. We had been promised it would be sorted out on our second day but wasnt. We had arranged a baby sitter for our second evening who had to watch an empty wall as no efforts had been made to fix the TV. (also she informed us that the wifi wasn't fast enough that she could watch her ipad)

3. Ice facilities. We required ice for a ice box as we needed to keep milk and baby food chilled as there was no fridge in the room. Now, most hotels have an ice making machine (I've worked in many hotels and bars so know this to be a common appliance for the industry). However, getting ice at the Newby Bridge made me feel like I was asking for the staff members personal pin number. It'd probably have been easier in the middle of the Sahara. I suspect they operate with ice trays in the freezer and thus supply is short.

4. I had to request a new supply of toiletries and toilet roll on our 3rd day as our room hadn't been cleaned or serviced since our arrival.

5. There were lots of dog hairs on the carpet (I know this is a dog friendly hotel, and I have nothing against dogs) but we had young twins covered in white hair after crawling on the floor.

On a positive note, I'd like to praise the staff their for their incredible hard work, especially the restaurant staff who were so accommodating all weekend. I just think the management need to be much more visible and hands on in the hotel, and I think they need to add an extra 3-4 staff to help those currently working there as they are swamped, and perhaps a little coordination might help.

Room tip: if you have children, request a family room on the lower floors!
2  Thank Peter O
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Newby Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2018

We are very sorry and very surprised to read this review, especially as we had a very cordial phone conversation with the guest after check-out, discussing some of the issues raised in the review. After putting the phone down, I thought we had a lovely conversation and I was very happy to take on board the feedback. Happy to do so again with this review as well. We're sorry for the issues raised and can only hope to improve on the back of the comments.

As mentioned on the phone, the reason we gave the room we did was so the family was as far from the noise of the wedding as possible. We thought a quiet room away from the noise would be best, but would have been only too happy to change them to another room had we known.

The TV had been switched off at the wall for some reason. On the phone we were told he spoke to the barman (who wasn't able to drop everything right then and there unfortunately) and then one of our reception team. As soon as reception were told, it was sorted out immediately.

The guest is correct that we don't have an ice machine for guest use, or fridges in the room. Definitely something for us to look into though.

We have already spoke with the cleaning team as well on the back of the comments and we can only apologise that things weren't sorted as they should have been before and during the stay.

Thanks again for the comments.

Reviewed June 1, 2018

In this case I mean the hotel star rating. Newby Bridge has only three stars and I must start by saying that it deserves at least one and a half more.We, a coach load of tourists from Northern Ireland, arrived after a lovely trip through Scotland from the boat at about seven on a beautiful evening at the start of last week. We came down over Shap, round the roundabout and there was our hotel set back off the road looking out over an inlet of Windermere. The hotel is a modernisation of the main structure and some smaller houses. Here is why it only rates three stars, because of its age there are no lifts and I am here to tell you that that does not matter. My wife and I stayed in one of the outside houses in a beautiful room with, of course, all the expected extras, en-suite, tea ect. and an outstanding view. As to the hotel its self, in a word, spotless, the cuisine was top class and the service, not only superior as expected but the young people who staffed the restaurant were an absolute delight.
Am I waxing over lyrical? Well the staff of, rooms, restaurant, reception, bar (excellent) deserve every accolade I can give. Four and a half stars easily.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Newby Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2018

Delightful review to read! Thank you for taking the time to post it and to was lyrical (we don't mind!). All of the staff loved reading your comments and we're are so pleased you and your group had a nice stay. Although we are happy to be a good quality 3 star hotel, we'll gladly accept your higher rating! Thanks again and perhaps we will welcome you back again.

Reviewed May 30, 2018

We go to hotels a lot and love the whole experience with our family at weekends. However, this was just awful! We checked in and then checked out as the room was so dire and so small for a family of four. We asked for a family room as we were with our two boys aged 8 and 11- we were given a room with three beds in . They were going to squash in a another bed but we declined as so awful! Carpets dirty , stains everywhere and generally dull and in desperate need of a revamp ! We will try and get in the Swan next time - down the road ; sadly it was fully booked at Bank Holiday !

Room tip: don't stay here !
Date of stay: May 2018
4  Thank Mrs M

We are very sorry to read this review and were only too happy to offer a full refund to the guest in this instance due to their dislike of the room. Normally, we are able to offer a different room but as it was a busy Bank Holiday this was not possible. It's very strange the review should not mention the full refund or the fact that our reception team tried to find somewhere else for them to stay (again, not easy on a Bank Holiday). The guest was, unfortunately, very rude to our reception team as well, which really was not very nice. We take the feedback on board of course.