All reviews lovely hotel muncaster castle bridal suite sunday morning cumbrian coast the hotel car park kippers dog friendly hotel specials board lake district evening meal room was large the young lady three night stay ratty arms short break family room
Reviewed June 16, 2016

Hotel and room was fine but this infamous waitress really spoilt the stay from the moment she booked us in , I felt we asking to come into her house to use the toilet the face on her. We then had the pleasure of her waiting at our table. Same comments as sukib287 but when bringing the missing spoons for the dessert she threw them on the table with so much force we thought see was the in house entertainment, the juggling act. Come on you know who you are, Ravenglass is very small place as is the hotel. As sukib says get some training you are spoiling it for your employer.

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2016 via mobile

We are just returned from a two night stay with my elderly mum in law. Booking by telephone was hugely efficient and we were able to get rooms next door to each other.

We have stayed here before (and hubby has stayed previously on business) so we knew what to expect.

The bedrooms were light and airy. The beds very comfortable, with spare pillows and blankets if required. Shower pressure excellent. Towels large and soft. Toiletries great.

Breakfasts were good; choice of cereals, yoghurts and fruits with a cooked breakfast to follow. We ate in the restaurant each evening. I'm double trouble (!) being gluten free and vegetarian, but I was looked after very well. The food was delicious and plentiful. Drinks were very reasonably priced too.

The location of this homely place is wonderful; just opposite the estuary, and we drove to Wastwater, which I totally recommend. The steam railway is also great fun. The area is stunningly beautiful and I'm totally in love with it. We were blessed with glorious weather, which helped enormously. We spent warm evenings watching the incredible sunsets. We enjoyed drinks in the courtyard each late afternoon.

Everyone we spoke to (guests) were fond of the hotel, which was good to hear. One or two remarked that the courtyard and tables could have been washed down as they were stained, and, yes, that would have been good, but it didn't stop us enjoying a beer.

The staff were excellent; helpful and happy to speak, although clearly busy.

We've already booked to return, and can't wait!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2016

We rang at lunchtime and managed to get the last dog friendly room available on the half term week. Arrived about 17.30. Lovely room in the annex which suited us fine. This was our first hotel stay with the dogs. The staff were lovely and friendly. Very helpful. Although the room was set aside for those with dogs the furnishings were still good, very clean.
Breakfast was included in the price. Evening meals, served in the restaurant, bar or courtyard if you prefer there are a range to choose from, well cooked and well priced. Drinks and coffee, tea available from the bar very reasonable. Far cheaper than most other cafe's.

Room tip: There are downstairs rooms available too if booked with enough notice. Rooms in the annex were very quiet. Opens out into a courtyard.
Reviewed June 2, 2016

Visited for evening meal in bar. Surly waitress, long wait despite only two covers. Had ordered meatballs with spaghetti and tomato sauce...easy you would think. What arrived was tiny strands of spaghetti, beef meatballs, covered with tinned chopped tomatoes whiuch had been grossly over seasoned and extremely peppery. Sauce had no herbs or 'body' Still, I thought, the meatballs look homemade and beefy. The first tasted okay but on cutting through the second, it was bright red and appeared to have only been seared and not cooked. Calling the waitress over met with reluctance and sour expression. No apology but it was returned to the kitchen. She returned and asked if I wanted anything else. Now put off by the offering, I declined. Still no apology. She walked away, and only when I had finished my drink did she return to say I wouldn't be charged!! I would suggest the hotel put the waitress on a customer service course and changes their chef - if he can't cook meatballs or pasta sauce, he can't cook at all. Will not be eating there again. If I am ever in Ravenglass on another occasion, I would eat at The Inn at Ravenglass. We went there the next day and it was less expensive and delicious. Oh, and more popular as it was very busy with satisfied diners!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Lukas L, General Manager at The Pennington, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2018

Hi Sukib287,

My apologies for the late reply.
We are sorry that you were disappointed that we were not in a position to serve you with food when you visited recently. However you had not booked in advance and others had including a large group. This meant the resources of the kitchen were stretched to the limits and rather than give slow service we think it is better not to try to feed more people than we know we can sensibly cope with. I suggest you book in advance in the future or accept the consequences with better grace.
Thank you fo your feed back and we hope to redeem you patronage when you return.

Regards

Lukas

Reviewed June 1, 2016

Comfortable pub/restaurant with about 20 en suite rooms. Facilities were good and we could see the estuary (& property opposite) from our room. Food was excellent, there was a great bar area that wasn't too pubby and a pleasant inner patio to sit outdoors. Only area for improvement was the bathroom which could easily be rid of its as small patches of discoloured grout with a wipe down of bleach. Car parking was free.

Date of stay: May 2016