“Fantastic B&B”
Review of Swinside End Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Scales
Swinside End Farm
Reviewed 24 February 2010

At the risk of everyone else finding their way here, when I need to be able to book for my walking trips...this is a gem of a B&B, and Karen is a fantastic hostess, who coped with ill guests and wet walking gear, recommended walks and restaurants, gave us all the phone numbers we needed and even fried the chanterelles we brought home from the forest! Anything you like from the breakfast menu, afternoon tea on the patio, evening board games in the living-room - my group had a lovely time.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 September 2009

We stayed at Swinside end farm for 1 night on Easter Sunday.It was part of a week-long trip covering Yorkshire-Northumberland-Cumbria to savour the sights for one last time before winding up a 3 year stint in the UK and returning to India for good 2 weeks later.Got busy relocating and put off writing about it until now.In those 3 years,we fell in love with the UK,travelled the length and breadth of the country,stayed in around 70 or so different B&Bs and I can state with confidence that this B&B was certainly the best of all.
We wanted to stay at Keswick but after hundreds of e-mail enquiries and finding no vacancies,we had to look at nearby villages too.Mighty glad that we did and found this hidden gem.Found just one review in Trip advisor and it was dated 2007 but the rating given was excellent and I did not have many other choices.
It takes around 20 minutes to reach Swinsideend farm from Keswick driving through the Whinlatter forest park.The place had recently acquired a 5 star status and deservedly so.Our room (Low Fell) was a good size with a great view,was very well furnished in pastel colours and matching upholstery,the bed extremely comfortable and lots of goodies on the hostess tray but in my opinion,the bathroom takes the prize.It was spacious,with lots of complimentary toiletries,and believe it or not,had a 21 inch LCD TV.That was certainly the height of extravagance!And oh,the breakfast.We are vegetarians and there was nearly 2 of everything and all very tasty;we were so full up by the end of it that we had difficulty getting up.And all this for such a bargain price which is even lesser if one stayed more than a day.Simply unbelievable.A truly unforgettable experience.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 25 February 2007

What a lovely little bed and breakfast this is! Stayed here this weekend (24th Feb '07) and loved it.
The farmhouse only has 3 bedrooms so I assume booking early is well advised. Our ensuite room was small but adequate with an amazing view over the fells. The other rooms are bigger I believe. I thought a nice touch was the M&S toiletries in the bathroom and the fluffy bathrobe!!
The property is absolutely immaculate, very cosy and has ample parking. Karen, the proprietor was very helpful and made a wonderful full English breakfast which was served in a little conservatory at the back of the farmhouse with more fantastic views.
The garden is lovely and I can imagine in summer it would be great to sit outside with a bottle of wine watching the sun set.
The farm itself is situated in High Lorton which is a short drive from Keswick, Buttermere and Whinlatter Forest. It makes an excellent base for visiting the surrounding area.
We walked round Buttermere lake on Saturday, then had dinner in the great little pub called the Wheatsheaf which is a 15 minute walk from the farm. The meals were very hearty and service was excellent.
On sunday we walked part way round Derwentwater and will definitely be returning shortly to walk all the way round as we just didn't have enough time. The scenery was stunning.
This part of the Lake District is far superior to the likes of Windermere and Ambleside. I'm not knocking these places - I have stayed there and thoroughly enjoyed myself, but the north west area, in my opinion, is much more picturesque and less crowded.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
7  Thank Honey510

Been to Swinside End Farm? Share your experiences!