“Great Thai is a hidden gem”
Review of Thai Basement

Thai Basement
Ranked #18 of 95 Restaurants in Ashbourne
Price range: US$72 - US$72
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I have been here three times now, each time it gets better. The menu is wide and not just green and red curries, I have made my way through most of the starters, highly recommend the pandan chicken. The tamarind duck is lovely and the chicken with crocus roots is to die for. Had my 30th birthday meal on new years day here, there were 10 of us and the service was fantastic and never laboured. I have tried the takeaway too and can recommend that too. I am an avid thai food critic and am pleased to say this is above and beyond your average high street thai and a lot cheaper:)

1  Thank WickerSunday

Reviewed 6 November 2010

This is a decent Thai restaurant with good food and the decor/atmosphere has been done really well. We had an enjoyable, relaxing evening and the bill was good value. Recommended

1  Thank jdavies2001
Reviewed 3 October 2010

My husband and I had lunch here on a vey wet afternoon. Our first impressions were good. It is a small, quiet and intermit restaurant where we could have a conversation in peace.
We chose differant foods and tasted each others to giive us both a wider view of the foods on offer. They were delightful. The starters were tasty and presention most beautifully set out. I had a green curry for my main course which very tasty and just the right heat. We didn't have a sweet as we had eaten quite enough. They did everything they could to work round a food allergy problem.
I would and have recommened the basement to friends and will return hopefully very soon.

1  Thank thegournetwanderer
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I had really high expectations, and was really looking forward to a new cuisine entering Ashbourne! Physically a lovely place, friendly, cosy atmosphere. Sadly, from the dishes we tried, I can only say we were very disappointed; for the following reasons..
We chose a few stir-fried dishes - if you have ever been to Thailand, or tasted authentic Thai food, this is NOT the place for you. I can only describe is as greasy, sloppy Chinese style food with a Thai twist here and there, namely the thai basils (which themselves were delicious, just not enough of it!) It was the same old pre-cooked watery chicken thrown into the same universal sloppy brown sauce that came with all our dishes - the colour you get in thai food had been lost to the overcooking of dishes. There was no punchy flavour you'd expect from authentic thai food! Our stir fry dishes were closer to meat in soup than a dry stir fry as it should be, and the noodles very greasy. Fragrant rice was neither fragrant, nor cooked properly - and the prawn crackers we were given (prawn crackers are Thai are they?!) were literally soggy, we were able to fold them like foamy polystyrene. I would NOT recommend the restaurant on the basis of the dishes we had, but I am willing to give them another chance and go back to try the curries.. for a restaurant just starting out, i'm surprised at the poor quality of food. Still, with constructive feedback, I hope they pick up!! If you like a very toned down version of thai food that isn't too far from your regular chinese, go ahead - you'll love it. I welcome others to try it and leave their experiences to read..

Reviewed 2 July 2010

Ignore the older reviews, they relate to a previous restaurant in this building!
We visited the Basement Thai restaurant midweek during the World Cup and it was fairly quiet as you might expect.
We went for one of the set menus and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Basement mixed starter was very tasty and we quite enjoyed the Thai salad that came with it. The main courses were also good, with a green curry standing out.
A very enjoyable evening and we'll certainly be back.