1,177 results
All reviews drawing room bridal suite main building executive room the holly bush inn evening meal afternoon tea conservatory restaurant two night stay room was large derbyshire countryside food was lovely lovely setting lovely old building wedding venue both mornings self service
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

excellent setting, room was a nice size, clean, and lovely fluffy towels, very comfy bed, although pillows could do with a change, due to stains, paint work could do with a spruce up, staff were lovely, arrived early but could check in, as room was ready, breakfast was fine. think all windows could do with a very good . would
go again

Room Tip: we were in the court yard, and this was lovely
1  Thank Susan R
Gm M, General Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your lovely review and rating. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay at Makeney Hall Hotel. I have noted your comments and will address with my team. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We stayed here for two nights at the beginning of September as a base for revisiting some of our favourite places in the Peak District. We had a two night deal of bed breakfast and evening meal. After reading some of the reviews I was really concerned about what we were going to experience at this hotel. Our booking was for an executive room and we were given a room in the main house called the Chinese suite, which sounded rather grander than it actually was. The embroidered jacket I had taken was more Chinese inspired than the room. The room was however spacious and clean. The bathroom was very dated with a pampas colour corner bath and shower over it, that you has to turn about 20 times to get water. The loo had a replacement seat which was white as Pampas colour is not made anymore. The fan that came on with the light sounded like an air-aid siren and I was worried about waking the whole hotel when using the bathroom in the night. The lights over the dressing table didn’t work at all and neither did the tv controller, both of which I reported to reception. I agree with some reviews regarding the windows looking dirty but ours were old sash windows and the glass was old and marked so would never look clean even when it had been cleaned.. Most importantly to us the room was clean the bed comfortable and the views were lovely from the two windows, so for what we paid we were happy with it.
The breakfast was self service and standard hotel fare, the dinners were however surprisingly good. The menu was limited with a main course choice of either beef,pork, chicken, fish or vegetarian . As I can’t eat pork it limited me further, however as we only stayed two nights we had enough choice. The food was well cooked and nicely presented and we enjoyed our meal both nights.
One thing I should mention as it is very important to some guests, was the complete lack of internet connection anywhere in the main house except the reception area, where apparently the router was situated. This area is very small and by the main door and desk. Myself and another guest had to stand there to use the internet on our phones in order to look up some information on the area for our trips the next day. I mention this because if I had been on staying business and needed to work it would have been impossible to do so in this hotel.
Overall an enjoyable stay and I give it 4 stars as although the hotel is in need of renovation, we felt it was reasonable value for what we paid.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and rating. Great to hear you had an enjoyable stay at Makeney Hall Hotel. The hotel is a very old but beautiful building, with outstanding views. Sorry that you had a few issues with your room, I have addressed these with my team. I am looking into the internet as we have really good connection, so I will be investigating this. I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.
Janet - General Manager

Reviewed September 11, 2018

We had a two day stay at the Makeney Hall Hotel as we were guests at a wedding there. What a superb venue for a wedding, amongst nature with beautiful surrounding countryside. We were very well looked after. A bit disappointed by the view from our room - but we didn't complain. The room although a bit 'tired' was very well equipped with an iron and ironing board as well as the usual, expected features. We were lucky not to have a leaky shower as we heard a few other residents complaining of this.
Breakfast was fine. (Nothing out of the ordinary) Sadly the plates were cold as were the sausages and mushrooms. The choices were adequate although a variety of bread would have been nice rather than only sliced brown and white. (There were croissants)
The wedding itself was very well-catered for and the venue could not have been better. A beautiful setting both inside and out. The conservatory was a great venue for the Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea party. The food was very fitting and calorific but delicious. It was great to have tea flowing as well as wine. The evening celebration was super with added touches like hand-held sparklers in the garden and great barbecue food served in the dance room.The morning-after breakfast time we were well-catered for as a group so that we could join with others at large tables. All in all we had a great time and would highly recommend the place for similar events.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the gardens would be a good choice.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your rating and review. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the Wedding. Your points have been noted and I will be sharing them with my team. We hope that we can welcome you back to Makeney Hall Hotel in the future.

Reviewed September 9, 2018

Lovely large room. Very comfortable. Two night stay with dinner and breakfast. My wife and I really enjoyed the food with a great choice for either meal. Staff were very welcoming and made our stay memorable. Some comments highlight a tired venue. We saw it as a place with a great history and respected it as a piece of British history. Loved it. Well placed for exploring the local towns, historic houses, mills and of course the walks amongst Derbyshire countryside.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely Rating and review. So pleased you enjoyed your stay at Makeney Hall Hotel. We are an old building and we are glad that people enjoy its charm. We hope to welcome you back in the future

Reviewed September 9, 2018

Just back from a two night weekend stay at Makeney Hall and have to say we really enjoyed our stay. We had a clean, comfortable room in the Courtyard and enjoyed plentiful breakfasts both mornings, with excellent choice of hot and cold buffet style food. The staff were friendly and helpful, with a special mention for Stacey, who became our cab driver at the end of her long shift, when none were available to book.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review and rating. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay at Makeney Hall Hotel. We hope that we can welcome you back in the future. I have passed your comment onto Stacey, thank you