“Definitely one of my Top Ten”

Tom Yum Thai Kitchen
Ranked #7 of 87 Restaurants in Belper
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated in the historic market town of Belper, Tom Yum Thai is in beautiful location whilst remaining convenient. Right by Chucklebutties play centre, it's the perfect place to stop after a day spent with family. If you're after relaxation, this restaurant is close to the River Derwent, so you can head for a peaceful stroll before your meal. Tom Yum Thai is housed in a historic building, with exposed brick walls and décor that hints at authenticity, from Thai paintings along the walls to trinkets that showcase Thai culture. Since opening its doors in 2013, this restaurant has become a favourite amongst locals for fantastic food in a sophisticated setting, whilst remaining warm and inviting due to the friendly staff. Tom Yum Thai is suited to romantic meals alongside celebrations, as the flexible staff are happy to cater to larger groups. Serving well-presented Thai dishes, Tom Yum Thai has plenty of options to choose from, whatever you fancy. An evening meal here might begin with the Tom Yum Mixed Platter, designed for sharing with loads of favourites, ideal if you've never tasted Thai before and want to try a bit of everything. A more unique offering of BATTERED DUCK BREAST IN CHEF'S TOM YUM COCONUT SAUCE is popular amongst those who want to try something new. If you want a mild main, order CHICKEN OR FILLET OF FISH CHOO CHEE CURRY. Vegetarians are spoilt for choice, with their own starters and mains. Tom Yum Thai's set menu becomes tempting, with chef's recommendations at a great price. For tasty Thai cuisine just a short drive from the centre of Derby, Tom Yum Thai in Belper, Derbyshire is a great choice. An eclectic range of dishes served in an interesting venue makes this an excellent choice whether you want to impress someone special or are arranging a group meal.
Reviewed August 3, 2015

WOW. So, what makes my top ten? It's not just about the food although, obviously it has to be good but the atmosphere and ambience is very important. Tom Yum is a beautiful restaurant and the staff were fantastic. It was nicely busy which didn't feel rushed or noisy. The courses were very well timed, the staff kept apologising for slow service due to staff shortages but we didn't feel it was slow, it was perfect. We had the set meal at £19 a head and it was superb, I can't fault it. Everything so fresh, tasty and well presented all the lovely finishing touches and attention to detail. I find a lot of Chinese/Cantonese type restaurants don't bother with the beautiful vegetable decorations anymore I think they make it special. The mixed starters so fresh and light, the Thai Spicy Coconut Chicken Soup was fabulous and all 3 mains were so flavoursome and different, excellent, loved it. Would go out of my way to visit, it should be in the top 3 in Belper and top ten in the surrounding area.

1  Thank MissLBNorthants_UK

Reviewed August 1, 2015 via mobile

I visited this restaurant with friends on the recommendation of a friend who lives in Belper. There must be some great restaurants in Belper if this isn't number one.
The restaurant is situated in an old mill and this location is fantastic. Lots to look at before or after your mill if you desire.
The restaurant normally only stays open until 2 at lunchtime but stayed open especially for us. The staff were so attentive, nothing was too much trouble. The banquet is exceptional and the voodoo brownie is just awesome.
Give it a try, you won't be disappointed. We all thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Thank you Tom Yum.

1  Thank terrySOS
Reviewed July 30, 2015

I visited recently with friends. One of our number is local and chose very wisely when booking us in to Tom Yum. The restaurant is a distinctive space set within an old mill building next to the weir at Belper. The welcome is extremely warm and every effort was made to make the visit a comfortable and enjoyable one. There are a variety of menus available. We chose the banquet which guaranteed a wide variety of dishes and we were able to adapt to suit individual tastes and dietary needs. We had the most delightful graze though our courses. It was always very relaxed, never rushed. The food was wonderfully presented, fresh and extremely tasty. I love the fragrant and spicy nature of Thai food and it was here in every course. There are a couple of dishes I would have had over again. I loved the spicy prawn soup and the main green chicken and beef massaman curries. Our thanks go to the guys at Tom Yum for a very chilled and thoroughly enjoyable experience from first dish to last.

1  Thank Folkestoner
Reviewed July 27, 2015 via mobile

Seven of us received great service nothing too much trouble. We had the place to ourselves,I live locally and know how good it is. My friends came from Kent ,Southend and Birmingham and loved it.
When the guys were going to be late because of train disruption it was no problem for them to stay open beyond their normal time.
One of the best Thai restaurants in the Amber Valley if not Derbyshire

1  Thank Brian C
Reviewed July 26, 2015 via mobile

On a summers afternoon we went to Tom Yum. It's situated in the old mill next to the weir. It's surroundings are to die for.
The restaurant is unique. It's just lovely. It's cosy but spacious, it's authentically decorated.
We were warmly greeted by a lovely young lady and a toddler, he was so cute and learning young as he showed us to the table. Such a gorgeous little boy. I am sure that on busy days he wouldn't be around but we were delayed and to restaurant stayed open just for us. If that in its self is not 1st class service I don't know what is. Nothing was too much trouble. We had the set banquet menu, items were changed as two of the party had allergies, these requests were no problem at all. The food was amazing. I have to say that it's properly the best Thai meal I have had pleasure to demolish. The wine was great. This restaurant suits couples, families, party's it's got something for everyone. Top class food the chef knows his stuff the staff are superb. The majority of the party had Voodoo Brownie for desert and each and everyone of them were bowled over by the concoction of flavour. It's a must.

2  Thank Louwid