“A French Soirée”

Price range: US$20 - US$39
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Nag's Head at Castle Donington has been under new management since 18 June 2015 and is at the heart of a thriving village. It is open all day every day and offers great freshly-cooked food. Jad Otaki and his team will give you the warmest of welcomes - come and visit us soon!
Reviewed September 2, 2016

We attended a "French Evening" at this fine Bistro in Castle Donington. The Bar area is quite small and was well packed when we arrived for the said event, No sooner had we ordered drinks then we were advised that our table was ready. The entertainment was a French Accordianist/singer, complete with black beret and obligatory blue & white stripped T-shirt, which set quite an authentic feel of how we imagine French Cafe culture to be in our minds, so much so I half expected Officer Crabtree to wonder in to say "Good Moaning"
First thing I noticed that dissapointed me was that the bread was not French Baguette but just normal bread rolls, To start my girlfriend chose mushrooms in a citron cream sauce, which she assured me was very nice whilst I chose the "Plateau de fruits de mer" - plate of mixed seafood, which if I am being honest I was a little dissapointed with in that it obviously had been prepared some time in anvance and the cucumber slices were wilted and the prawns with Marie Rose Sauce, were the cheap warm water translucent prawns apart from that it was ok.
Main course for myself was a large Fillet Steak with peppercorn sauce cooked rare with a side selection of vegetables, my other half choosing the Seabass both of which were excellant.
As for desert although there was nothing French about any of the deserts on offer we did have an excellant home made Treacle Sponge and custard and Apple Pie and Ice Cream.

After Dinner the fun continued with a little sing along to all the Classic french songs you were taught at school, like Frère Jacques, Sur le Pont d'Avignon and Alouette.

at £25 per head it was good value ~(you could pay that for the fillet steak alone), would we eat here again? definitely they justy need to pay a little more attention to detail

Reviewed August 31, 2016

we had been advised thatwe would have good food. It was bank holiday so everywhere locally was busy serving food - except this pub.
we were travelling back from holiday and wanted a decent meal to save cooking that evening. we were quickly served with drinks and our food order was soon taken. we wanted something substantial so ordered meat pie and vegetables.
the meat was all fat, the pie was just a pastry top and the vegetables had just been showed the microwave so were cold and uncooked.
we were offered gratis desserts. The orders were repeated back to us and mine came with cream not ice cream as ordered. We speedily settled the bill and as we were at the door wewere asked if we wanted coffee!

Reviewed August 27, 2016 via mobile

Away for a race weekend at Donnington Circuit a party of 9 of us decided to have an evening out.
Once seated in a dark area of the restaurant we were then greeted with plates of hot dog rolls sliced in quarters and heated. When the mains eventually arrived at our table (bearing in mind the restaurant was almost empty) The waiter's were completely confused as to which steak was which, resulting in one being returned to the kitchen. Vegetables were undercooked and bland, potatoes and chips were over cooked and again very bland. The peppercorn sauce was lumpy and lukewarm, lasagna was extremely salty and again very bland. When we asked for coffee we watched as the waitress walked to the coffee vending machine and pressed a button, which resulted in being unable to differentiate between the cappuccino and latte. Cheap, tasteless, watery, beverage was a perfect end to an overpriced and disappointing evening, and had it only have been myself and my partner I would have had no issue in refusing to pay

2  Thank iamsam89
Reviewed August 26, 2016 via mobile

We called In For a few beers on one of our dog walks...
We got a very warm welcome including the dog ...which was aloud into the bar area..
The were a few people in the bar all were friendly.
We did not go into the restaurant, but it looked really nice and very clean...
The beer went down a treat on what was a very hot day...
All in all a very nice place....

1  Thank Geoffrey D
WebmasterNags, Guest Relations Manager at The Nag's Head Bar & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2016

Thank you for your kind review. We are glad your dog enjoyed its visit, too.

Reviewed August 24, 2016

My friend was taking me for my belated birthday lunch, only 6 months late! Monday too, which is not a good day to eat out. We were lucky enough to call at The Naggs Head.
A it was open, B the menu looked interesting,
The Inn was very welcoming and spotlessly clean, the staff were friendly and helpful, the food was excellent. Can't wait for the next time.
An unexpected pleasure to see Jad,

1  Thank Jenny W

Thank you for your kind review. We look forward to seeing you again.