“relaxing stunning place”

Cheshire House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 13 Castleton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 May 2011

just had to say what a beautiful place castleton is and on a recent trip there my partner and i came across cheshire house, the owner was most wellcoming, the room was lovely and very clean, we had a very pleasant evening there and had a gorgeous ccoked breakfast, made from all fresh, local produce, the taste was second to none, would definatley go there again

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 May 2011

Cheshire house is a cosy, spotlessly clean B & B in the heart of the Peak District. The rooms are tastefully furnished, a warm, hospitible welcome is assured from Sue, the wonderful owner. Secure free parking is an added bonus at this reasonably priced establishment which boasts a more than satisfying breakfast comprising what is obviously fresh local produce. A credit to Sue and highly recommended to all.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mickc49
Reviewed 1 May 2011

A very pleasant, family run small hotel situated in the centre of Castleton in the heart of the beautiful Peak District of Derbyshire. Many thanks to Sue, the proprietor who made me very welcome once again during my annual trip to Castleton. I can fully recommend Cheshire House for its comfort, friendlinessand the privacy it offers. You have your own private parking space within the grounds of the house and is an ideal base to use for those who are planning to tour the Peaks of Derbyshire. Ishall be returning again next year. Thanks Sue.

Room Tip: Always book early. Castleton is a very popular.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Had a fabulous stay at Cheshire House over the easter break. We were warmly welcomed on arrival and shown to our characterful room, with stunning views over the Peaks. Cheshire House is in an excellent location - across the road from an amazing, warm and historic pub serving great food and ales (and which we didn't find a disturbance whatsoever, but a lovely place for a night cap before returning to the hotel), and around the corner from the centre of the beautiful village of Castleton with its brilliant pubs, shops and views. It is perfectly positioned for walks to the castle, the caves, and Peaks such as Mam Tor and smaller walks such as the stunning river walk to Hope and trips to the Lady Bower reservoir. We felt very well looked after, particularly with the fantastic breakfasts that really set you up for the day ahead. The House is very good value for money and I would recommend to anyone for a lovely weekend break.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We stayed in Cheshire house for three nights in April 2011. And we were extremely disappointed. First night, just as we came in, we found a spider on the wall. One of our towels had spots on it, and was not clean, so we ended up using ours. And from then on, we only received one towel for both of us. The room is very tiny, and the TV is very old, with only four channels. The shower and toilet is also very small, and has no ventilator, so when you go to the loo, you have to live with the smell in your room for the rest of the night. The house is on the main street, so there is a bit of noise, although another room was on the other side. The water pressure in the bathroom is soo weak that sometimes we just had to fill up a water bottle and use that instead. And on the last night, after a long walk, we came home to discover there is no hot water. The floors are very creaky and everytime someone walks by you can hear the whole house move. It is evident though that while they have four rooms to let, in the busy April long weekend, every other B&B was full except this one. On the last night we were there, someone took the room next to us, and from our room you could hear everything they say, the TV, the toilet flushing makes a very loud noise, and dare I say *them going to the toilet*....

I would highly recommend you look at other B&Bs in the area, they offer more value for money. This definitely was not worth the £70 p night that we paid.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank navigator_121
derbyshire2009, Owner at Cheshire House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2011

I was extremely sad to read this review, and that none of the issues were mentioned to me during the visit, so that I could have the opportunity to resolve them.

I apologise that a spider was seen in the room, we are in a village in the countryside, and we do have occasional visits by spiders. I am really sorry that this happened to these guests.

We only let two bedrooms, not four.

I apologise that there were spots on the towel that I had missed. Had this been mentioned I would have exchanged the towel immediately.

Four TV channels has not been an issue before, the bulk of my guests come to enjoy the most of the area surrounding us. Digital TV will be coming to this rural area in September.

Extractor fans are fitted in both bathrooms, and these work efficiently.

The low water pressure that prevented the shower from working on the morning of 28 April was an external issue, which is under investigation with Severn Trent Water. I was not aware of any other times that the water supply was a problem during the stay. I apologise for any inconvenience to these guests.

We are rated by the Tourist Board as 3 stars, and try hard to offer a good standard of accommodation at reasonable prices.

I am really sorry that these guests were not happy with their accommodation, and wish that they had mentioned the issues to me so I could have had the opportunity to resolve them during their visit. I hope that as well as reading this review; you will take into account the many other reviews from guests who have been happy with their stay.

Reviewed 23 December 2010

Sue greeted us and made us feel very welcome for our entire stay of 3 nights. We were able to have different breakfasts to each other and asked to choose each day too, unlike other places that we have stayed. Could have done with more space as I had packed FAR to much. We had control of the heating which was great in the weather we had! Very handy for the village centre, sweet shop, sandwich shop and pub. Sue gave good advice about which pubs and which cafe to eat at, and advised on our route home to ensure good views enroute. We felt like nothing was too much trouble. Just would have liked a slightly larger room, or less luggage!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2010

I stopped with Sue the back end of August this year while undertaking a Paragliding course with Peak airsports,but forgot to leave a reference to my stay!.
The accomadation is very comfortable,spotlessly clean, the en suite was a little tight but roomy enough to be acceptable.
Sue's cooking is excellent and to be honest she offers more choice than i really wanted,should you eat all that she offers you should last all day!.
Sue has a quiet persona and is very accomadating she was more than happy to let me leave my Paragliding equipment in the hall way.
Off street parking is in Sue's own driveway.
Personally i would have no problem stopping at Sue's again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo