All reviews continental breakfast the pub main building church bells check in was easy haunted room peak district plenty of choice sofa bed comfortable room an overnight stay bath shower full english the ground floor evening meal real ale sunday night
Reviewed July 29, 2018

We stayed 2 nights at the Castle Hotel, the room ( Peveril) was spacious and very well appointed. However we stayed during the hot weather and with no air conditioning we had to have the window open and the room faced the road and outside tables of the hotel so the was some noise up to 11.30 pm and from 7 am.
The continental breakfast was very nice but I thought the surcharge for a cooked meal was unnecessary. At £140 per night the accommodation was very nice but I’m not it represented good value for money. If money is not an issue I would certainly recommend but if it is perhaps worth a look elsewhere first.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank shakeyjeff
Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

Great meal & friendly staff & Helen was very helpful with our orders. Fantastic restaurant set in a fantastic location & will definitely be visiting this place again as everything was just spot on from the service and our meals.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

I wanted to rate the hotel higher but as I was typing I inadvertedly convinced myself to give 3 stars.

Castleton is gorgeous and the hotel location is excellent, the pub has olde world character and charm, good sized beer garden. Plenty of parking for patrons.

The hotel seems to let things down a little. The check-in experience wasn't great. The check-in desk was not staffed, when we were finally served the member of staff, though nice and enhusiastic, gave the impression they didn't know what they were on about (not sure why they were explaining that if we were staying for 2 nights we book back in after 3pm the next day, surely we didn't need to check out and check in again?).
Our room was in the main bullding, it was lage and spacious with a nice bathroom. I'm guessing the rooms in what appears to be a converted stable in the car park are the more modern rooms you see in the advertised pictures, whilst the main building rooms are generally older. Our room, while pleasant, just needed some TLC. Because it's older there's also lots of creaking floorboards and stairs and doors can be heard slamming.
The bed was big and comy but I found the pillows far too soft. There were tea and coffee facilities, I don't drink either but usually eat the biscuits but all they offered was a lotus biscuit which I didn't even have the enthusiasm to take home for later.

We thought a cooked breakfast was included (we probably misread this) but the price only included a continental breakfast. We were disappointed with the choice, some cereals, some grapes, some yogurts, 2 diferent pastries or toast. To upgrade to cooked breakfast was £6.99.

On check-out the desk was again unstaffed leaving us stood around and we had to hunt down some staff.

I would stay here again but might choose somewhere else.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aw_Cb
Reviewed July 12, 2018

Having read reviews of this place I had high hopes and I guess it did depend on your room but mine was one of a prison cell, with one high window which hardly opened, little space, nowhere to sit comfortably and for the price not worthy. The bathroom was fine as I needed one with a walk in shower but that's the only good thing about this room. The staff were friendly, nothing wrong with them and always helpful though busy but the food to me was far from nice. I do not eat meat so the choice was poor and unappetising. As it was a scorching hot time of year I found the room extremely hot and stuffy with no relief from the window, and claustrophobic. No one could sleep in there with those temperatures. In fact not any of the bedroom windows opened in this inn any reasonable distance it would appear so do not go in hot weather or you like an airy room. Funny policy..... It was reasonably decorated but not the best. There is nothing else in Castleton to stay in by and large. I can only say the views and the employees were the best thing....

Room tip: Check which room you are gttg, check out the window.. Noisy and very busy at weekends generally as it is a tourist hotspot.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet C
Reviewed July 11, 2018

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed staying at this hotel. The sights in the area are amazing. My only issue was that we had a room on the ground floor in the extended wing of the hotel and the noise made by the people upstairs on the old floor boards was enough to keep me up most nights. I am a light sleeper but even with earplugs in I could not get a good night's sleep. In the end though this did not spoil our holiday and it comes with choosing an old, cosy hotel with the charm that this one had. I would still highly recommend Innkeeper's Lodge to anyone wanting a romantic getaway to the Peak District.

Room tip: Choose a room that is not on the ground floor. Noise from the people upstairs on the floor boards is unbearable if you are a light sleeper.
Date of stay: November 2017