“Well Managed, Service Oriented B&B”

The Poplars - Rooms & Cottages
Ranked #5 of 23 Thirsk B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 August 2011

When I walked up to The Poplars I was greeted by name. They were expecting me and everything was prepared in this well-managed B&B. I was asked what time I would like to have breakfast at, and I did not find out until later that the time I selected was earlier than their usual start of breakfast. They just accomodated my request. When the time came to leave I was offered a lift to the railroad station, which is only about 300 meters away but I accepted because it was drizzling.

My room and bathroom were both large and clean. The hotel was quiet and I felt it was secure. The breakfast was ample with eggs that were cooked to order. I would not hesitate to choose The Poplars again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Upsilon6
There are newer reviews for The Poplars - Rooms & Cottages

Reviewed 10 August 2011

A lovely little guest house. We stayed for one night and were really impressed. Our room was nicely decorated, and even though it was at the front of the house, it wasn't noisy at all. The bed was really comfortable and the local information that Amanda had put together was really comprehensive and gave some good recommendations.

The breakfast is all locally sourced and there was a good range of food, the black pudding was especially good!

Sadly Amanda was away for our stay but her father in law and fiance were on hand to welcome us, along with their lovely dog, Bailey.

I would recommend this b&b.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank becca1405
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I thought the Poplars was a wonderful Bed and Breakfast, the room was decorated to a high standard and comfortable. The house and gardens are lovely and peaceful. I really enjoyed the breakfast too, which was locally sourced and cooked to order. Amanda was a great host and made us feel very welcome. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CharlotteLuisa
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We had a fabulous stay at Poplars. Tranquil setting, friendly hosts (Owner's were away, their father and mother were our hosts) spacios room, crisp linen were part of the very pleasant stay. The restaurant they recommended- The Kings Arms in Sandhutton - was excellent. Both food and setting was fabulous. Presantation of food was as impressive as the taste. The chef was a real gourmet.The Kings Arm is a short drive away from Thirsk and they have lodging facilities as well.
I would highly recommed both of these places to add pleasure to your trip in these beautiful, picturesque region of England.

Room Tip: Rooms at back
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kedi44
Reviewed 17 May 2011

We were welcomed by the owner Amanda and delighted with the cleanliness and well presented room. The double bed was very comfortable and the cooked breakfast was superb. We could not have wished for better accomodation.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DavidGilliesHall
Reviewed 22 January 2011

Stayed in the Poplars on 14th January for one night. It was very easy to find in a lovely area. We couldn't have asked or wanted anything more from the room - it was ideal. Had a lovely night's sleep in the very comfortable bed, en-suite bathroom wasn't huge but it had everything you need and was very clean.
There are at least 3 pubs nearby to dine in for an evening meal.
The home-cooked breakfast was absolutely gorgeous and set us up perfectly for the day.
Plus we got to meet Bailey after breakfast which was a bonus - he's an extremely friendly dog!
Thank you for your hospitality.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DoubleR1
Reviewed 16 January 2011

We stayed one night: 2 adults, 2 daughters. The welcome was friendly, both rooms were very well kept and comfortable. The 'full English' breakfast was personally cooked and excellent. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family