1,390 results
All reviews dick turpin mews room coaching inn market square lovely hotel the main hotel car park superior room four poster bed sunday night high standard enjoyable stay last weekend salmon evening meal lovely food first class
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

WOW WEE - what an amazing hotel and so vey special. Food was wholesome, excellently presented and full of flavour. The plates were hot and staff were warm, friendly and had a lovely Sense of humour. The hotel is well equipped, clean and immaculate. Rooms where clean, well equipped and had everything you needed to make your stay most enjoyable. The whole hotel is a gem and will definitely come again in the future. We took our 2 dogs and the hotel is very accommodating and made them very welcome and as their 1st ever hotel stay, it was perfect from start to finish.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
StephenB5323, Manager at Golden Fleece Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

WOW we really couldn't have asked for anything else! Thank you so much for your review, it really means a lot to us all here at the hotel. I am over the moon that we made your stay so special. We do hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Hotel has recently been beautifully refurbished. On arrival we were greeted warmly and to our delight informed that we had been upgraded to room 13 - The Dick Turpin Suite. The room itself was full of history with just about the biggest bath I have ever come across! The room has a separate living/TV area and dressing/table area. Which is a nice touch. We ate in the restaurant the first night and both the food and service were excellent. There is a also a good wine selection which along with the food represented excellent value for money. But it is the warmth and hospitality of all the members off staff which make The Golden Fleece such a special experience. Nothing is too much trouble and all members of staff seem to be extremely well informed re the local area and places to visit etc. A very special mention re Nicki who is a tremendous asset to the hardworking and talented team. Always welcoming, smiling, helping and able to provide a wealth of information re the local area and the Hotel itself. It has been a long time since we have experienced such warmth and hospitality on our travels and I could not recommend The Golden Fleece highly enough and we will most certainly be back.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Many thanks for your lovely review, it's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, your kind words have been passed onto Nicki and the rest of the team. It's amazing to hear that you will be joining us again next time you're visiting the area, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had the wonderful opportunity to stay at the Golden Fleece Hotel from September 22-24, 2018. I had wanted to stay at this Inn for a good 35 plus years because I am a very seasoned admirer of Thirsk, North Yorkshire’s famous veterinarian author of All Creatures Great and Small- literary and BBC fame. Much to my extreme surprise, I stayed in the most elegant hotel ( that I have ever seen) suite with a canopy bed, luxurious bathroom, gorgeous drapes and bay window overlooking the historic market square. I attended a special dinner in honor of the memory of “”Mr Herriot”, the world famous author.
Most importantly, the kindness of the Inn’s staff was a rarity in the world that we live in today. I am forever grateful to the young lady manager who drove me to the Thirsk train station on the very early morning that a prescheduled taxi did not arrive for me. Therefore, I recommend the Golden Fleece on your next trip to the Vale of York and the North Yorkshire Dales. It’s an elegant but affordable experience back into history, loved it, thank you! AJR, Massachusetts

Room Tip: Very quiet even on market place side.
Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo

Many thanks for your lovely review following your recent stay with us. Its great to hear that you were well looked after during your visit to Thirsk. Your kind words have been passed onto our team. We do hope that next time you're visiting North Yorkshire from the US, you pay us another visit!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I spent a week in the Golden Fleece and enjoyed our stay. The hotel has been refurbished to a very high standard but have managed to maintain its old world quality and charm. The food in the restaurant was varied and enjoyable. No matter how good a quality a hotel may look the main ingredient are the staff. The staff we met in the Golden Fleece were welcoming, helpful and friendly - there was always a cheery word. We have booked for next year for another week.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you very for your lovely review, it was an absolute pleasure having you here for the week. Your lovely comments have been passed onto our team who all send their appreciation! We look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel is magic. Everything about it was superb, the staff are first class, decor is beautiful, the bed is comfy, location is perfect and what a lovely town. Good car park too. I loved my stay here and will be back.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends

We really couldn't have asked for a nicer review, thank you so much Gill for taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor. I am glad that you loved your time with us, we do hope that you pay us another visit in the not so distant future.