Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$443
Booking.comUS$521
eDreamsUS$521
Orbitz.comUS$443
TravelocityUS$443
CheapTicketsUS$443
2,942 results
All reviews reflections restaurant champagne bar garden suite hot tub afternoon tea cedar lodge beautiful hotel relaxation room changing rooms ag restaurant full body massage outdoor sauna birthday treat roll top bath junior suite the main house relaxing break
Selected filters
Reviewed July 21, 2021

Ok,I'll start by saying our room was lovely,had a garden suite on an upper floor,so was great sitting out in the evenings BUT just because you are 5* does that entitle you to charge astronomical prices? Cocktails £13,bottle of lager £8 ish bottle of water nearly £10 and a glass of wine £13
Our price included breakfast and dinner,yet when we ordered breakfast in our room,it cost us another £5,husband had a dry piece of bacon and a shrivelled portobello mushroom,my toast was cold and soggy and his toast never turned up
Boasting 5 stars usually means you can ask for pretty much anything but they had run out of drink that made cosmopolitans,went down for breakfast the next day and they had run out of grapefruit juice,husband wanted unsmoked bacon but the answer was no,then they served us tea but no milk,so had to wait for that to arrive,then the toast came but they gave us no butter,had to wait for that and when it came it was rock solid,then we had to ask for another cup as the one on the table had several chips around the rim.
Even right at the booking process,there were issues,like other reviewers have said,took me 25 minutes to get through to them as after booking I never got a conformation email,was cut off about 6 times,then when I did get through that person couldn't help and I was told their system was down and I'd get a call back,never did,so back on the phone again,yet another half hour,they had the wrong email.
We won't be going back here again as they don't provide what they promise,overpriced food and drink for no apparent reason other than they're 5* portions are tiny,hubbys steak was £38,how on earth can that be justified? Ordered a drink with meal and it took 25 minutes to appear.
We have been to other 5* establishments which are fantastic,this,sadly wasn't .
Waiters /waitresses in the evening were lovely

Room tip: Upstairs garden suite
Date of stay: July 2021
Tamas Jurca, General Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2021

Dear Jaypo63,

Thank you for choosing the Alexander House Hotel and for providing us with useful feedback on your recent stay with us.I am delighted to hear that you were pleased with the warm welcome from our Food and beverage team. am however, very sorry to hear that you found our too expencie . We are very keen to receive feedback on our food and generally only receive good feedback on the choice on offer between our outlets.
Thank you once again for providing feedback and I do hope you will revisit us, giving us a chance to change your opinion of the Alexander House Hotel.
Kind Regards

Reviewed July 19, 2021 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here and were put in to the new rooms. The hotel grounds are splendid. The breakfast was nice and the spa was brilliant. It had a lovely pool plus a hydrotherapy area, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and also a nice outdoor jacuzzi as well. It doesn’t quite hit excellent for me as I didn’t like the new rooms, the decor didn’t go, the bed was too squishy as well but I’d go back just for the spa!

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Geoff F

Dear GeoffF,
Thank you so much for your praising words of the Utopia Spa it is great to hear that you had a memorable spa day with us and you felt that you have received a good value for your money in our Spa.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Yours sincerely

Reviewed July 18, 2021 via mobile

Visited here with my daughter for a relaxing spa day brought with vouchers purchased in the Black Friday deal!
Wanted to book Rowhill Grange as living in Essex this is much nearer to us, was advised to book online by Sam and insert £250 for each voucher, which is what we done. We were entitled to 2 treatments each.
There was an issue with us putting in an incorrect email address on the booking, so tried to telephoned immediately to get this rectified, but the phone line was constantly engaged. After trying multiple times we finally got through and Sam agreed to resend to the correct email address , nothing was ever received! On the week of our spa day we decided to telephone again to confirm arrival times etc. Only to be told we are not booked in at Rowhill Grange but instead Alexander House Hotel! This was a news to us as this is not what we wanted as this would mean a 2 hour journey each way. We were told this could not be changed, so after already booking the day off work we decided to continue with this booking.
On the day, it took over 2 hours to get there, due to traffic, once arrived we were seated with a hot drink and shown the itinerary organised for us for the day. We had to choose our 2 course lunch in advance,not a great choice, we both opted for steak which had a supplement applied. The pool/jacuzzi area was nice, we ventured outside too, unable to use the outside jacuzzi as 4 ladies seemed to be in there for ages and didn’t get out to allow others to use it! The sauna looked good but wasn’t working!
Lunch was ok! Food quality poor!We had a bottle of Prosecco which was nice, service was attentive.
After lunch we had each had our 2 planned treatments, we both had facials which were amazing, we felt relaxed and ready for our 2nd treatment. My daughter had reflexology, which she found very painful and I had a pedicure which was a complete disaster, my therapist kept shaking her head when she saw I had shellac on my toe nails, i would say, my guess is many people wear shellac so why should this be an issue! I was made to feel I was in the wrong, I didn’t have a pedicure, the whole time was spent removing my shellac and replacing with OPI! Once applied the polish wasn’t completely dry but I was told to go.
Whilst changing out my robe and dressing my toe nails smudged and looked a complete mess!
My daughter and I went to check out by settling our lunch bill extras only to be told there was a little note next to our booking!
When we enquired further we were told there was a further £180 to pay for the spa day!As well as the lunch bill. We were horrified we had already paid an extra £78 when booking treatments when we booked online as our vouchers hadn’t covered the whole price. The receptionist argued and told us no extras had been paid for ! I was on the phone to my bank for confirmation when the receptionist returned to confirm she had now found this payment! But there was still £180 balance to settle! Why was we told this at the end of our day? Why was this not brought to our attention on Monday when we phoned to be told were not booked in at Rowhill Grange? Why was we no made aware once we arrived? We are fuming and made to be feel this was all our fault and had to pay! Over an hour later we were still made to feel this was all our fault and we still had to pay. The lady at the spa reception-dealing with us was very rude and unapologetic, we asked to see the manager to resolve as we had just wasted time going around in circles.
The receptionist returned still adamant this situation was our fault but then said the manager agreed to waive the £180 as a gesture of goodwill!
The damage had been done by now! Our relaxing spa day had been undone! We felt annoyed, hit, stressed and unhappy!
We left hit all the traffic on the M25, taking. Us over 3 hours to finally get home! All in all a terrible experience which we never want to go through again!
Beware spa day vouchers are not a good deal if you use them at this establishment!!!!!

Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Adams503775

Dear Adams503775,

Thank you for adding your review.
Naturally, I was concerned to read your comments. I believe there was a communication error between yourself and the person who booked the spa day for you. The booking was made to our sister property in Kent ( Rohill Garage Hotel ) the prices are different to ours hence why you had to pay the difference.
I must sincerely apologise that your recent visit was not to your satisfaction due to this. The matters that you have raised are absolutely not indicative of the level of service and quality that we pride ourselves on providing, and I am very sorry to hear that you have left with a diverse opinion.

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 14, 2021 via mobile

Had very nice lunch. Food was good quality and served nice and hot. Portion sizes were reasonable although food and drinks were a bit overpriced. Service was a bit slow and lacked attention, didn’t check up on drink requirements for example. Likely to visit again, but may go for a different dining option next time.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Jurca Tamas, General Manager at Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2021

Dear Justfortrademail,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent dining experience. It was lovely to read it was very enjoyable and food was of good quality. I was slightly dissapointed to read our servie level fell below our usual high standard and will ensure your feedback it shared with the team to enhance our guest experince next time around.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in future.
Best Regards

Reviewed July 13, 2021 via mobile

We stayed one night at the Alexander House Hotel Spa. We were very disappointed for a number of reasons.

Restaurant:
- Food standards below average.
- Wine not served at the table. When you pay £15 for a glass of wine you expect to see the bottle. It took them about 15 minutes to bring the glass already filled up.
- We had to wait 40 minutes between the starter and the main course. Followed by another 15 minutes waiting to order desserts. We ended up giving up and leaving as they clearly had forgotten about us.

Spa:
- Getting hold of the spa by telephone was virtually impossible. We couldn’t pre book the treatments.
- Lounge room is the opposite of a relaxation room. No relaxing music, too much light, staff coming in and out and shouting your name, etc.
Bedroom:
- VERY dated. Cushions and blanket looking very old and scruffy. Very old carpet.
- No toothpaste provided.
- Bedroom overlooking the social bathtub, which made it impossible to have a quiet moment until 8pm when the spa finally closed.

To sum it up, it simply does not meet the standards of a 5 star hotel. We will not be coming back.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear R548XCelenae,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us here at Alexander House. I must say it was very dissapointing to read that we have fell so short of our usual high standards of service during dinner and I do apologise we did not live up to expectations during your stay. I will ensure your feeback is shared with our dining teams to enhance our service levels at busy times and communcation is clearer to our diners.
In regards to our spa, it sounds like you may have been sat within in our treatment waiting lounge, we do have a seperate relaxtion lounge away from the hussle and bustle of the spa operation with both relaxing music and blinds to prevent the light, my apologies this was not obvious to you.
It was also a shame we were not able to meet your expectations regarding the decor of our rooms, we have multiple different styles to our rooms from the traditonal to the more contemporary. I must say we normally have great praise from our guests who stay on the spa side of our hotel overlooking the spa garden, I do apologise this was not to your taste.
I do hope one day we may have the oppurtunity to turn your tainted view of our hotel around and please do reach out to us directly should you wish to return, so we can ensure your stay exceeds expectations.
Best regards