All reviewsfull kitchenjacuzzi tubspy glassget awayevery amenitytakes pridethis wonderful placered foxself containedgorgeous viewson the rocksmargaretdeerprivacysuitewhalescove
Reviewed July 10, 2016

My boyfriend and I are used to the busy city like and wanted to getaway to a quiet place. After further research, we ended up picking the Spyglass Inn for 4 nights (6/29/16 - 7/3/16). While, this was the second time visiting the Avenue of the Giant area, it was our first time staying at the Spyglass Inn. The property was very clean and modern, with all of the amenities to make us feel right at home. The fully equipped kitchen allowed us to cook and enjoy the ocean view right from the living room. The view from the patio, along with the ocean sound was truly an amazing experience. We enjoyed the cool breeze, sunrise and sunset each day-- felt like paradise! The hosts, Richard and Margaret were very accommodating, offering their kitchen to us and anything else that we needed to help our stay to be more comfotable. In addition to the ocean view, we walked to the black sand beach nearby and enjoyed the ocean even more.

Just a few tips... because the location is in the mountains, cell phone reception is limited. However, for cell phones that have WIFI calling enabled, the device will work just fine. There are limited restaurants and stores, so come prepare with your food, etc. other than that, this place is a hidden gem. Absolutely gorgeous-- refer to picture taken from the patio.

Swan and Tom

Room Tip: This property is like a upgraded one bedroom apartment. Absolutely wonderful for a couple getaway!
1  Thank SwanTom
Reviewed July 6, 2016

My stay at the Spygalass Inn was perfect. Richard and Margaret are two of the nicest people and were attentive and very helpful. It was a joy to be around them. The inn is lovely, very comfortable with a lovely costal ambiance. My favorite part of the experience was the balcony. Being right over the ocean was heaven. I hope to return soon!

Thanks, Diane

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed June 28, 2016

So, we had reservations for another place in Shelter Cove which did not work out. We contacted Richard at The Spyglass Inn at the last minute and were so glad he was able to work with us on such short notice. My wife and I had the greatest time in the BEST accommodations with spectacular views. We would definitely return. Do yourself a favor and book with The Spyglass Inn at Shelter Cove.

Room Tip: Just ask Richard.
1  Thank Yowza1911
Reviewed June 24, 2016

Do not stay here if you're inviting guests over for the day or even an hour. The owners will harass you and the guests. The place is small and it costs just as much to rent a private house on the ocean.

I stayed here for my wedding weekend with the goal that I would have a private honeymoon getaway for the night after the wedding. The hotel also provided a space for me and the two bridesmaids to get ready so my soon to be hubby didn't see me in my bridal gown. When I was getting my hair done the afternoon before the wedding, the owner of the hotel barged into the hotel without knocking and proceeded to tell me that only two people could be in the room at a time. We assured her that everything would be fine, we were just getting ready for the wedding. A few moments later, my step mom was coming to the room to take pictures of the girls getting ready and the owner interrogated her along with anyone else who was coming to the room.

Because it was so uncomfortable for everyone at the Spyglass, as soon as my hair was done we left the hotel even though the bridesmaids still needed to get ready. I returned to the hotel late in the evening after the wedding reception, but I could not get out of their quick enough as soon as I woke up in the morning.

When I'm spending this kind of money on a room, I want to be treated with respect. If the hotel has an issue, they can call and speak to me in private or leave a note, not just barge in the room. Hotel owners that live on the premises should give their guests privacy and not be lurking around to harass guests.

Room Tip: the rooms on the bottom floor allow you to walk out on the grass overlooking the ocean
5  Thank TNTS13
Reviewed June 17, 2016

We stayed here for 3 nights over the Memorial day weekend. I don't remember the last time we had such a relaxing vacation. The suite was very cozy and clean. It has a huge balcony with glass railings giving you an unobstructed view of the ocean and nothing but the ocean. It sometimes felt like we were on a cruise ship!
Richard and Margaret are very kind and gracious hosts and go out of your way to make the stay memorable.
I wish we could have stayed here longer!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple