See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 27, 2018 via mobile

Our room wasn’t even cleaned, it was gross. Moved us to another room so smokey and smelly we couldn’t breathe. Beware this place I would not recommend to anyone. No towels, no soap, and they don’t wipe off any of the surfaces..

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2018 via mobile

I made a very last minute reservation when my other accommodations for Friday night fell through. Reservation was made by phone at 10:00pm. I walked into the University Hotel at 10:45pm, checked in, went upstairs to my room, immediately got online and made calls and found somewhere else to stay, then went back downstairs and was checked out by 11:00pm.

This hotel is disgustingly dirty: The lobby, hallways, elevator, and my room have suffered from years of neglect. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up as soon as I entered my room. The furniture was worn and greasy, the curtains dirty and coming off the track, the bathroom mirror was tarnished and the fixtures ragged. The windows were filthy. I would never consider letting my bare feet touch the carpeting, and I couldn’t imagine sleeping on the sheets or eating any food prepared at this place. I couldn’t wait to get out. Staying the night was out of the question. I forfeited what I had prepaid for the night just to escape.

FYI, as I was checking in, the front desk clerk was on the phone speaking to someone inquiring about a room. He told the caller that rooms were available for only $88 per night (even lower than the fee posted on TripAdvisor). So, even though it is gross, if you want a room with a low price point, you might consider it. Frankly, I’d rather go to a hostel.

Actually, there’s a bigger story here because I started this booking process by going to the Holiday Inn site for the Holiday Inn near the Cleveland Clinic on my smartphone. I clicked on the “call now” button on the Holiday Inn site and was connected with a representative who I assumed (incorrectly) was with the Intercontinental Hotel Group (owner of Holiday Inn, The Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, etc). Believing I was speaking with someone who would set me up with a reservation for a room with a trusted brand (e.g., Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza), I was open to the suggestions of the representative.

After telling me that there were no rooms at the very beautiful Holiday Inn located a block away from the Cleveland Clinic (where I had stayed the night before) he told me of another Holiday Inn where I could get a room for $290 per night. I balked, knowing that the night before I had paid only $139 (special rate for friends and family of those getting treatment at the Cleveland Clinic). Regular rate is $154. When I shared what I had paid with the representative, he suggested the University Hotel for a rate of $102 per night, so with taxes, etc, it would come to $131. Fine. I was in a hurry and went with it before checking it out on TripAdvisor. Yes. I know. Shame on me. But, again, I assumed that I was speaking with an International Hotel Group (IHG) representative who would make reservations for trusted brands. Wrong! Turns out I was speaking with someone associated with “Reservations.com” operated by Benjamin & Brothers LLC. This information was on the emailed receipt and reservation confirmation.

By the way, I was able to stay at the Holiday Inn at Cleveland Clinic at the $139 rate. And there were several rooms available. Did the Reservations.com representative lie? Or was there just a lag between the updating of the computer system the representative was using and the actual inventory of rooms available?

I’m thinking that the traffic on the Holiday Inn site is being diverted—maybe by an insider?—to Reservations.com, which acts as an independent travel agent, not as a representative of IHG. I think this merits further investigation and I plan on sharing this info with IHG.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank LadRoy
Reviewed June 8, 2018 via mobile

Nothing to say . Everything was terrible.
Crack smokers in front of the hotel. Bikers inside the hotel.
Dirty beds. Dirty everything.
No words for this absolute s...hole. This is not a hotel. This place shoudl not exist.
One should not advertise this as a hotel.
Sorry for staying here and spending the time for thos review. I just want to warn others

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Dutch1961Amsterdam
Reviewed June 1, 2018

My stay at the University Hotel and Suits was great! I stayed from 5/24 to 5/25 5*
I would like to give a five-star rating for the front desk 5*
Was convenient to downtown 5*
Great view 5*
Nice clean rooms 5*
Great price for the area 5*
Restaurant had great food on ground floor 5*

Room Tip: Has a great room selection with many options.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2018

Very helpful front desk with directions and breakfast place.
Nice room with two bed, free wifi and no charge for parking.
Close to Agora and near downtown Cleveland.
Less than $ 9.00 taxi fare to Q-arena nad Roll & roll Hall of Frame.

Room Tip: Request room facing downtown.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends