“Great staff”

Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Chicago
“Great staff”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I travel LOTS and just had to post a review of my experience at this HGI property. From the front desk to the housekeeping staff, to the restaurant chef and wait staff...I have nothing but positive comments and praise. On my second evening in the hotel restaurant, after a long day of driving and meeting with clients, I sat relaxing (detoxing!) from my day, enjoying a long-awaited glass of wine. The chef came out and checked with me to see how my meal was the evening before (and apologized for not making it out that night!) and asked if I had any special requests for tonight's meal. I was truly impressed at the willingness of all to make my stay more pleasant!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
HGICLEAP, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Airport, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you Patricia O for your gracious feedback and praise. We are here to deliver exceptional service and love that you had a such a great time. We can't wait to have you back- your wine will be waiting!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I was last at this location in August of 2011, and I left a nice review of my experiences. The nice stay before led me to overlook other choices and come back to this fine hotel again.

I stayed for a week this time, and I requested a high floor, with an airport side view. I ended up in room 510, which was an at least partially accessible room. There was more space, but I found it less "cozy" than the room I had last time (I think 502). The room seemed somewhat empty, and the bathroom was very spartan, but spacious. The sink was a very simple single width affair in the corner that I found to be to small, with very little room to spread out toiletries. This room was immediately adjacent to the elevator corridor, but again I found the insulation at HGI's to be extraordinarily good, and I was never disturbed by noise other than one episode of children running in the hall.

The hotel was showing a little more wear in the intervening 8 months, as I think I recall calling it "nearly new" when I was last here. Nothing objectionable mind you, but showing some wear.

Low point?: Finding that the housekeeping service was not on top of their game. One my first arrival after the room being serviced, I was very surprised to see that two glasses I had used the night before were left untouched on the desk and dresser. The ice bucket was also left with water in it. I had ironed my clothes on the first night, and failed to put the ironing board and iron away. This too, was left alone. Perhaps the iron is policy to leave it as you find it, but the dirty dishes should have been addressed. On the second night everything was to my liking, so perhaps the maid was called away before the room was finished. I didn't report the issues, so management was not given the opportunity to react.

Shower curtain - The bathtub was a very standard cast iron/porcelain tub, but it still had the arced shower curtain. I tried as best I could, but I could not keep a large pool of water from forming just outside the head of the tub, due to the curtain design. This is going to cause problems for maintenance in the future.

Service - Housekeeping issues aside, the service at the HGI was extraordinarily good (again). In particular the crew running the American Grille managed to get me to eat and drink in house everyday and night. That is amazing for me, particularly on a week long stay. Much of the credit goes to Jackie for her bright smile and welcome, and the chef's who served every meal with care. I had a steak that was among the best ever. I found it interesting that several people made the same choice I did, which was to go down and enjoy a cocktail while their "to go" order was made. It's a terrific credit to a warm and hard working staff (and managers that know how to pick great help!).

The front desk again shone as very efficient, very well trained, and empowered to help customers with issues. I threw them about 3 curve balls, any of which would have slowed a lesser trained staff at another hotel, but the HGI had them ready to roll. One of the stickier issues had a newer employee only beginning to show a need for help, when an attentive co-worker over promptly showed them how to solve it. If I hadn't been watching so closely, I would have never noticed that it took a different procedure to solve my issue. Excellent, efficient, and warm. Just what I expect when I spend a few extra bucks for Hilton quality.

The only maintenance issue was that the pool was closed (it happens), but the jacuzzi was working, and very nice. I used the business center to print my boarding passes, and I found it to be working, and the free printing is appreciated. Wi-fi worked well throughout the hotel, and was no charge.

This hotel is located immediately north of the CLE airport, and very close to the rental car facility. Easy in-easy out. It's just a little tricky getting into the hotel, as you actually travel past it on Grayton Road, before getting to the service road that gives you access.

Right now it remains to be seen if business will carry me back to CLE, but this will be my spot if I return. Meanwhile I have booked my next three trips (NYC, DFW, MCO) in Hilton Garden Inn's. If they'll add a free happy hour like Embassy Suites, they'll own me.

Room Tip: Avoid "accessible" rooms to find a cozier feel with nicer appointment. Don't fear roo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank zjxtinpusher
Thank you for your gift of feedback! We were able to address the housekeeping issues that you mentioned and greatly appreciate the generous feedback about the restaurant and front desk team members. They were beaming with pride and appreciated the recognition. We look forward to a guest room renovation later this year to update the look and feel. We enjoyed having you stay with us and look forward to having you back!
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I'm going to be the naysayer here, because my (and my colleague's) experience in this hotel was not good. I can imagine how this will sound, but the man behind the counter when we arrived late on a Monday evening didn't smile even slightly as he checked us in. I've been to many hotels and this was really surprising -- super unpleasant. Then I was fairly disgusted to find my bathroom sink was very, very slow to drain. Because I was staying there for all of 12 hours and was exhausted, I didn't complain or ask it to be fixed. I joined a colleague at a breakfast table and it took 5 whole minutes for someone to come over to offer me coffee. I finally got up and asked for it and it still took another minute or two. Additionally, the decor is really ugly -- that very ornate traditional style that might have looked good (to someone) around 1986. Last, my colleague asked for a 7am wake-up call and got one at 4am. All in all, I hated this place and will absolutely not go back. Hope this helps someone else!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Maryann M
HGICLEAP, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland Airport, responded to this review, 17 November 2015
Maryann M,

We appreciate your review about your stay at the property. We have addressed all of the issues that you have brought to our attention and would love to have you stay at our hotel again given all of our renovations and focus on service. We strive for exceptional customer satisfaction and apologize that your stay in 2012 was anything but.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Rebecca Kerrigan- General Manager
Finland
Reviewed 21 February 2012

When arriving at the airport I called the hotel and it took only few minutes before the complementary shuttle picked me up. Hotel was close to the airport and the ride took only appr five minutes.

Checkin was both fast and friendly. Had requested a quite room which I also got.

Room was in good condition having all nescessary amenties.

Breakfast in the morning was standard Hilton Garden Inn - very good and suiting my needs well.

WIFI was free and being stable, but could have been faster.

My only big disappointment was the size of the pool. Pool was unfortunately quite small and looked more like a childrens pool.

Staff were very serviceminded, far better than average.

All in all a good stay, and I would definetely stay here again if I want to be close to the airport.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MustaPekka
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Excellent Hotel - I stay here whenever I'm in Cleveland and it's consistently a great experience. The best part is that the staff loves working there - from the front desk, to the shuttle driver, to the members of the housekeeping team they are all pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Seg800
North Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is the second time we chose to stay at this hotel which is right next to the Cleveland Hopkins airport. It is clean, the food is great, and the staff is friendly and helpful. The free shuttle to the airport was a huge plus. The shuttle was there early, and it takes less than 10 minutes to get to the airport.

I would highly suggest this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't forget, it you have AAA, check the internet for deals using your AAA membership number.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Quincy, Illinois
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I could not believe how low the price of this hotel was. It seemed like brand new. Everything is so clean and modern. It was very comfortable. Staff were very nice and helpful. Would definitely stay here again and again. It is worth every penny and more!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple