“Quality Variable. Better Options Nearby.”
Review of China House

China House
Ranked #930 of 1,930 Restaurants in Cleveland
Reviewed May 26, 2017

I love cheap Chinese-American food. Yes, that's what this restaurant and almost every other "Chinese" restaurant sells ... food that can't be had in China (unless, of course, Chinese-American food has been re-exported back to China?). But this place is just not hitting all the right buttons.

The service is awful, but that's almost cute in a way. The severe efficiency of ordering, whether by telephone or in person, is completely unfriendly. But funny ... every order, no matter how large or complicated is "Ten Minutes". Smiles are rarely returned. And I kinda don't get it because if you sit in the restaurant, the money is just flowing in customer after customer. Clearly they are crushing Subway next door, in sales. Somebody is getting really, really rich from this hardworking business.

But I don't care too much about that. I lived in New York, the East Side of Cleveland, and so I'm used to mean people. Nottaproblem.

But the food sucks. If I wasn't so completely lazy, I'd never ever eat at this place again. If you know me, then you'll see me there later today, right? But seriously, if I'd just drive (not walk!) just drive about ten minutes farther, I could have my pick of two AWESOME Chinese-American restaurants, one in Avon Lake (Mark Pi's) the other in Avon (King Yuan). Both of these places are cleaner, friendlier, and better food BY MILES. Mark Pi's, to be fair, is a FANCY Chinese-American restaurant, quite nice, but no more expensive, especially at lunchtime.

The reason I'm reviewing is that a couple nights ago, I ordered General Tso's Chicken, got it home ... started eating ... and THREW IT AWAY. It was awful. Tasted like they used recycled motor oil for cooking. That has not happened before, though I can say I have gotten close a couple times.

But with literally HUNDREDS of visits to this place, and HUNDREDS of visits to other Chinese-American restaurants in the immediate area, in greater Cleveland, and other cities ... this is one of the worst. I did not rate this restaurant according to my last experience ... in which case it would get one dot, "Terrible". On average, this place is exactly that ... AVERAGE. Don't go out of your way for this place.

If you're willing to drive a bit ... Rocky River has two AWESOME Chinese-American restaurants ... King Wah (traditional) and Pearl of the Orient (a more upscale place which also has excellent sushi). These two, plus Mark Pi's are the three best in the west side suburbs of Cleveland.

If you want actual Chinese food, go downtown ... Chinatown ...

1  Thank ClevelandBill
Reviewed February 25, 2016

Everything we've ever ordered has been delicious! They make it so quick too! My daughter loves the chicken sticks!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

The service was quick even though they had to finish cooking the food. The restaurant is not the most beautiful, but the food is delicious. I highly recommend it for on-the-go food.