All reviews the main house ohio city west side market webster room bed and breakfast great lakes brewery b bs breakfast was delicious within walking distance sitting room third floor couple blocks next morning each morning great bed fresh fruit a wonderful stay
Reviewed June 10, 2017

I was in Cleveland for business for two months where I stayed at a hotel for the first month. Through a recommendation I found the J. Palen House and this is where I stayed for the second month. I wish I had known about it sooner. I met with Diane and she showed me the Studio which is located on another property along with The Cottage and the Kabat House. The Studio which is above the Cottage was truly lovely, comfortable, clean and with updated amenities. It's located in a charming neighborhood within walking distance to several restaurants.

The Studio itself had a very comfortable bed with high quality sheets that I loved so much that I had to find the tag on the sheets. I'll be buying a set! The bath had a wonderful Euro Style shower. The only thing I wish the bathroom had is extra shelving or a little table near the wash basin for those that tend to have more product like me. A full length mirror somewhere in the studio would also come in handy. The kitchen is full sized and had everything I needed.

I truly enjoyed my stay here and it was so nice to leave work and be in a homey environment. Diane is the greatest and she was very attentive to my needs. I had access to the laundry when I needed and when the weather turned hot and the AC wasn't working, she let me stay in the Cottage downstairs until it was fixed.

I would definitely stay here again should my travels take me back to Cleveland.

Room Tip: The Studio is good for singles or couples. It's on the second floor with stair access only.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2017

Came to Cleveland for the first time for a weekend getaway and chose to stay at J Palen House. We arrived after the official check-in time slot of 3-5PM, but were given detailed instructions on everything from how to gain access to the building to where the light switch was in our bedroom! Music was on in the living room and there were snacks, soft drinks and water available, making us feel welcome. We had the Landis, a suite with bedroom, sitting room and a large modern bathroom with a big walk-in shower. King bed was comfortable - a bit on the soft plushy side for us but still slept fine. Walked a couple blocks to Great Lakes Brewery for dinner: excellent beer (of course) but great food there as well! The immediate area has many restaurants, bars, lounges and the amazing West Side Market, all within a few minutes walk. Dave's Supermarket is right across the street if you forget to bring your razor or something...

There is one parking space located behind the building, otherwise it's street parking.

Breakfast was (for me) great, started with fresh fruit and a dollop of yogurt and a blueberry bread slice. One day a nice herbed scrambled egg dish and the next a kind of French Toast, bith tasted great!. My wife was not quite as happy, she did not like the yogurt and thought there should have been a choice of food - or at least prior notification of what was coming so she could modify the dish to her taste...

Diane the innkeeper was friendly and informative and full of suggestions about where to go and how to get there easily. She will also give you a discount card for many of the local restaurants and we found her suggestions to be helpful:)

This is an urban area and we were warned by our waitress at dinner that it can get a bit gritty if you walk in the wrong direction at night, but we had no problems. All in all a great weekend in Cleveland, and we recommend this B & B.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2017 via mobile

The room was very neat and unique! We stayed in the retreat room! Definitely a different side of Cleveland! The staff (well we only met the one lady) was very nice and helpful (I left my curling iron at home so she let me borrow what she had!) A few things we didn't care for- parking was horrible we drove around for a half hour looking for a spot, the jacuzzi in the room wasn't working right it kept draining even when had the drain locked and it made a really loud noise when the jets weren't on in the tub. It was a bit irritating seeing that we choose that room mainly for the room for the jacuzzi. Also breakfast was okay... we expected a bit more from looking at the pictures online then what we got in person. The service was excellent but we expected to be able to choose from a small menu or something not just to be given something that neither of us really had a taste for. Also I would suggest making breakfast a bit later maybe 10 or so.. at least on weekends. All in all if you are looking to stay somewhere that you have a very eclectic experience it is definitely the place to stay!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2017

We were there this weekend and stayed in the Retreat Room. It is not in the main house, but in another building on the next block. We got there late, but were given very good directions on where to find the key and get into the property. We were greeted with cozy lighting and soft music. There were munchies in the kitchen as well as drinks in the fridge. Adorable decorating with all kinds of antique toys.
I can understand some of the other people's complaints about the parking. It is tight and put our old school parallel parking to a test- but we did not have a problem finding a space. We spent the weekend walking and exploring the area. There are tons of places to go to eat, shop, and explore. It was a very relaxing, enjoyable weekend! :)

Room Tip: We loved the Retreat Room-I would recommend it.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2017

I have stayed at the J. Palen House on several visits to Ohio in the past year. The Roost is by far my favorite suite to book, with a loft bedroom, a cozy living room/kitchenette and a nice private patio. The accommodations are very comfortable and the gourmet breakfast with fresh fruit and juices is the icing on the cake. Looking forward to my next visit to the Roost!

Room Tip: The Roost is a 2 story loft suite and my favorite by far.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple