“Lovely Stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cleveland
J. Palen House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 August 2017

We stayed just overnoght. The Host was very nice, very accomodating. Room was great. Large, very clean and nicely decorated. Bed was very comfy. Bathroom was huge, clean and had everything you would need, including robes. Right in the historic district. We parked our car and walked for food, drinks, shopping. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2017

We traveled to Cleveland with 2 other couples for a getaway. This has become our favorite Bed and Breakfast to stay in. Because we traveled with 2 other couples, we reserved the house with 3 bedrooms in it. We had a cozy common area to hang out, a lovely kitchen and beautiful patio/outdoor space. One of the best features is the proximity to restaurants, Brewerys, and market places in down town Cleveland. We will definitely come back!!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the rooms that were not in the main house. They were very private and quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2017

We made arrangements to spend a weekend in Cleveland with another couple from Ontario as the Jays were in town.

The location is perfect. It was a mere block away from a street lined with restaurants, brew pubs and outdoor patios. Also directly across the street from the B & B was a grocery store with a liquor store included. We always felt safe walking around.

We stayed in the Webster room which was spacious and comfortable. It had a king size which provided a very relaxing sleep. There was a large en suite bathroom with walk in shower and a two person Jacuzzi tub. We had an outdoor second floor balcony with two bistro chairs and table and a chaise lounge. It was surrounded by trees so provided a wonderful private spot for an evening night cap. The room was air-conditioned and kept at a very comfortable temperature - it was a hot humid weekend to be in the city. On both days the room was cleaned before noon

On Friday night we attended the baseball game. A block from the B & B we sat and had a beer at an outdoor pub then took a free trolley to the stadium that was only 7 minutes away.

On Saturday the host, Dianne, ordered us an Uber that took us to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 10 minutes for $9.00. We took a cab ride back with a driver that was gave us a nice tour of the downtown city. He was very proud of his city. We also had a great lunch at a Mexican restaurant located on the lakefront behind the RRHOF that was recommended by Diane.

Breakfasts both days were fabulous. Fresh bowls of fruit with a tasty egg dish of the day and plenty of coffee.

We both enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay there again on our next trip to Cleveland.

Room Tip: Webster room, king size bed, large en suite bathroom, private comfortable outdoor balcony
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2017

This was our second stay at the J. Palen House and it was as great as our first. On this occasion we had another couple with us, who were equally impressed. We stayed in the Landis Suite, which has a separate sitting room. It was wonderful. Very clean, king bed and an outstanding bath with a great walk-in shower. Our friends stayed in the Webster room, which is where we stayed on our previous visit. It was equally terrific.

Diane, our host, offered very helpful suggestions on local sights, restaurants and bars with craft beers. Breakfast was wonderful and delicious.

This B&B is located within a two-minute, easy walk, to a plethora of excellent local restaurants and bars. We felt very safe as we walked the area, even late in the evening. This area is its own little micro-community (Ohio City) yet within a 5 minute cab ride of downtown Cleveland.

We had a wonderful time at the J. Palen House, and look forward to a return.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2017

A big thank you to Diane and the entire staff of the J. Palen House. The "Barn" was an excellent choice for the 4 of us to relax and enjoy all that Cleveland has to offer. Diane was an amazing host, informative, responsive and accommodating. The "Retreat" and the "Palen" rooms were spacious and very comfortable, having the additional living space exclusively, to just our group, was an added bonus. Thank you again, J. Palen House!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2017

I was in Cleveland for business for two months where I stayed at a hotel for the first month. Through a recommendation I found the J. Palen House and this is where I stayed for the second month. I wish I had known about it sooner. I met with Diane and she showed me the Studio which is located on another property along with The Cottage and the Kabat House. The Studio which is above the Cottage was truly lovely, comfortable, clean and with updated amenities. It's located in a charming neighborhood within walking distance to several restaurants.

The Studio itself had a very comfortable bed with high quality sheets that I loved so much that I had to find the tag on the sheets. I'll be buying a set! The bath had a wonderful Euro Style shower. The only thing I wish the bathroom had is extra shelving or a little table near the wash basin for those that tend to have more product like me. A full length mirror somewhere in the studio would also come in handy. The kitchen is full sized and had everything I needed.

I truly enjoyed my stay here and it was so nice to leave work and be in a homey environment. Diane is the greatest and she was very attentive to my needs. I had access to the laundry when I needed and when the weather turned hot and the AC wasn't working, she let me stay in the Cottage downstairs until it was fixed.

I would definitely stay here again should my travels take me back to Cleveland.

Room Tip: The Studio is good for singles or couples. It's on the second floor with stair access only.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2017

Came to Cleveland for the first time for a weekend getaway and chose to stay at J Palen House. We arrived after the official check-in time slot of 3-5PM, but were given detailed instructions on everything from how to gain access to the building to where the light switch was in our bedroom! Music was on in the living room and there were snacks, soft drinks and water available, making us feel welcome. We had the Landis, a suite with bedroom, sitting room and a large modern bathroom with a big walk-in shower. King bed was comfortable - a bit on the soft plushy side for us but still slept fine. Walked a couple blocks to Great Lakes Brewery for dinner: excellent beer (of course) but great food there as well! The immediate area has many restaurants, bars, lounges and the amazing West Side Market, all within a few minutes walk. Dave's Supermarket is right across the street if you forget to bring your razor or something...

There is one parking space located behind the building, otherwise it's street parking.

Breakfast was (for me) great, started with fresh fruit and a dollop of yogurt and a blueberry bread slice. One day a nice herbed scrambled egg dish and the next a kind of French Toast, bith tasted great!. My wife was not quite as happy, she did not like the yogurt and thought there should have been a choice of food - or at least prior notification of what was coming so she could modify the dish to her taste...

Diane the innkeeper was friendly and informative and full of suggestions about where to go and how to get there easily. She will also give you a discount card for many of the local restaurants and we found her suggestions to be helpful:)

This is an urban area and we were warned by our waitress at dinner that it can get a bit gritty if you walk in the wrong direction at night, but we had no problems. All in all a great weekend in Cleveland, and we recommend this B & B.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple