“Horrible Business Management”

Ranked #50 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Brookville, Ohio
“Horrible Business Management”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

After working on group reservations. for daughters Middle School Science Olympiad Team for 7 mos....the Group Booking PersonS at this hotel dropped our 10 confirmed & contracted rooms two weeks out of arrival date in a city that is bursting at the seams w/competitions & tournaments.
I had a bad feeling during this whole process due to the lack of organization of my information that had to be repeated every time I called. I had a contract, confirmation #'s and had given my credit card # three different times. After our team had qualified for this state competition at OSU campus (6 wks.prior to res. date) I call hotel again to confirm our teams 10 rooms. Again asked for cr. cd # given another confirmation # and an OK from one of the group res. to get our room name list in by 2 wks. prior to arrival.
So, guess where this is going?
When I call to add an 11th room before sending guest name list in on time...2.25 wks out of arrival....YES...NO Rooms...they had been let go & hotel was now full!!!
I was told that I did not speak to the right person and so they did not have the confirmation or know I was sending a guest name list in for our 10 Reserved Rooms.
What? Holiday Inn does not have a computer or do they not have anyone that uses them to make reservations & record confirmation #'s or contracts? How has this hotel survived without the understanding of the difference between "reserving" a large # of rooms for a team & "holding" a block of rooms for possible guest to call & reserve individually?
After all this, I ask for an upper level Holiday Inn management phone #. I call and they tell me that their computers are down & I would have to take up my problem with the hotel I had a problem with......AHHHH!
Will not ever give my personal or team business to Holiday Inn in the future....especially not Holiday Inn Express OSU!

Room Tip: I would not choose to rely on getting the res. needed for group at this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank patsy5008
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbus University Area - OSU, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Dear patsy5008,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. Unfortunately, your account settings do not allow us to send you a Private Message. You are welcome to reach out to our Guest Relations via email at HI-GuestRelations@ihg.com or you may send us a Private Message through TripAdvisor to IHGCare including reference to your TripAdvisor Account Name so we can follow up on your experience.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed 1 April 2012 via mobile

This hotel was fine, very clean and the service was efficient. Wi fi worked well. We didn't use the pool or workout room but they both looked very pleasant. It is nice to have a fridge and microwave in the room.

The room arrangement could be better. We booked a 2 bed "suite" which was very large. It was furnished with a sofa with coffee table plus small dining table with 2 chairs. This seating area was only separated from the beds by a short 2 foot wall, not really a separate room. But the one TV in the room was placed near the beds, far enough away that it wasn't a comfortable viewing distance to the sofa area. There is also a big comfy chair in the room, but it is all the way on the other side of the beds, not part of the sofa conversation area. so, if you want a lot of space, you'll find it here, but you can't sit together and watch TV comfortably.

Hot breakfast included biscuits, sausages, sausage gravy and sausage omelet. Maybe it was sausage day when we were there? I tasted the omelet, thinking it was disc shaped scrambled egg - it should have been labeled for these of us who don't eat pork. Yuck. There were plenty of cold items and a good pancake making machine.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank jaym_m
NEW ALBANY
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We had a group of 15 visitors from China stay here for just over two weeks. The Holiday Inn provided excellent shuttle service, was flexible when we needed it, kept in close touch by phone to make sure we were getting what we needed, and helped our guests arrange taxi service when they made their own non-program shopping trips.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank cbuspm
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Newer property and directly right across the street from where my husband had a conference at University Plaza Hotel. Hot breakfast was very nice, indoor pool and hot tub was clean. Room was very new, clean and quiet. We had 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa. Rooms have a coffee maker, microwave and sink with dishwasher.

Room Tip: They have a few snacks for sale but there is a Kroger very close by or bring your own. Also we would...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank cabbageroller
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel because i had OSU orientation. The room was nice, hot and FREE breakfast is excellent. They offer FREE high-speed internet, and the internet quality is great. I would recommend people to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank PianoD
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 26 February 2012

New hotel, modern good rooms, small pool etc. The service and front desk was really great. For few more bucks we took the Jaczzi suite and it was fun.

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Avi O
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel for a few days, this hotel definitely has the standards of any 5 star hotel...the rooms were big and cozy, the price for the hotel was reasonable and the complimentary breakfast was great....there are a few fast food chains near by too and if you are looking for something different then you will be delighted to visit "Cafe Kabul" just a mile away from the hotel, this restaurant has great tasting middle eastern food...
Our over all stay at the hotel was nice and satisfactory..will definitely return and recommend this hotel to everyone planning a visit near by!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family