“Not up to my normal expectations of Doubletree”

Doubletree Hotel Columbus Worthington
Ranked #46 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I stayed at this property when I was in Columbus for a business meeting held at the hotel. It's a fairly large property with quite a bit of meeting space, and appeared to have a fairly large number of guest rooms.

Several signs indicated that the hotel is in process of renovation, but until that happens, I'd describe it as a bit threadbare and in needing of update. The hotel lobby is large, but a bit worn-looking. Everything is beige. Not particularly bad, but not particularly good.

As far as sleeping rooms go, again, fine. I'm guessing the bathroom has been updated already -- it was big and the counters and fixtures still seemed fairly new. The bed, too, was probably updated -- it had a bunch of pillows, was very comfortable, etc. But the other furniture seemed about 15 years old, and the television was still an old 25-inch CRT television.

The location is actually pretty good. Right off the I-270, and in an area with numerous chain restaurants, and a big cinema across the street. If you have to be staying at a hotel in the suburbs, it's a decent choice. I'm sure it will get better as the renovations occur over the next few months.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for one on the side of the hotel away from I-270?
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank pdxmark2
There are newer reviews for Doubletree Hotel Columbus Worthington

Reviewed 25 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a week for business. Upon my late checking in my room was not ready and I was not happy. I was given a warm cookie (they do have nuts in them) and a voucher for drink at the bar. The room was much larger than exspected. There was a small frig, microwave, and sink. The bathroom was a great size and a seperate living room area with a larger screen T.V. There is also a T.V in the bedroom. I also recevied complimentary wi-fi and great resturants are within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Pickyeaterallthetime
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Ok, so the exterior of the hotel looks outdated, but who cares? The interior appears to have been recently updated (within the last 5 years or so) and it's very clean. I got this "3.5" star hotel through Priceline for $50 and it was TRULY a 3.5 star property (as compared to other 3.5 star Priceline hotels that were trashy).

I was traveling with my wife and 3-year old and the hotel was nice and also family-friendly. We were treated like "normal" guests despite the fact we booked on Priceline and were paying half of normal rates. Upon arrival, we were given the familiar Doubletree cookies and checked into a king bed room that was plenty spacious for the three of us.

We used the pool (nothing exceptional) and had breakfast at the hotel which as very nice. On a side note, breakfast was not included at the Priceline rate, but we were offered breakfast coupons upon check-in. Not sure if the front desk was just being really nice or if my Amex Platinum helped, but it was unexpected/much appreciated.

Overall, a FANTASTIC trip for the money.

1  Thank Rob D
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We had a great experience all around. Much better than Country Inn by far.

1  Thank PaulG40
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I got a standard king, non-smoking room for $41 for a Sunday night stay (Priceline). At this price, it is certainly a bargain. However, each of the past two nights, I stayed at the Doubletree Guest Suites in downtown Columbus for $50/night (also priceline). That room was obviously a suite, but it was so much bigger than this one. This one is about 200 sq ft max and the one downtown was around 600 sq ft. This one has an internet price of $119 and that one was $149. If I had my choice, I would clearly stay downtown over this. The lobby is renovated but the rest of the hotel feels kind of old, esp the carpet. Priceline considers this a 3.5 out of 4 star hotel and I disagree - this is a 3 star hotel at most. They did give me free wi-fi without having to ask, so that was cool. If you sign up for a Hilton HHonors account, I believe you get free wi-fi at all hotels so that's how I would have gotten free anyway. Staff was courteous and when I needed an extension cord to hook up my computer, they brought it up. If I could rank this 3.5 out of 5, then I probably would... however, i'll have to round down and go to 3. oh yeah, another reviewer commented on it being "pretty dim" in the room and hallways - that was definitely the case for me, esp since I had a small window. Sort of depressing.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We've never been fans of Doubletree hotels and this property did not change our minds. The lobby was very nice, but strangely empty and full of unused space. The hallways are definitely in need of attention - stained walls and carpeting held together with duct tape everywhere. Our room had been fairly recently updated and was tolerably clean - though the furniture was a bit banged up and there was no flat screen TV. There were NO towel racks in the bathroom - just one hook on the back of the door. Where is one supposed to hang wet towels?! And they were stingy with the towels. In our double room we had exactly 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 wash cloths. The second day we only had 1 of each - apparently we were supposed to share? The housekeeper said she was out of hand towels, but did deign to give us an extra bath towel as a substitute. The same was true for drinking glasses - there were only 2, and those were in the bedroom, not the bathroom. Soap and shampoo were never replenished - we had to go look for housekeeping to ask for more. Lighting throughout the room and bath was pretty dim, and the water pressure in the shower wasn't great. The shower curtain needed cleaning and/or replacing and the grout in the shower was dirty. The chocolate chip cookies they advertise - we were each given one when we checked in and that was all we saw. The food at the dinner we attended was pretty good and the staff throughout the facility was friendly and helpful. Overall, we'd stay somewhere else next time.

2  Thank ItchyFeetBTS
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We were not able to get our reserved Hilton Honors room at a nearby Embassy Suites and we're placed at this hotel. The check in was fantastic! The front desk attendant ensured that our adjoining rooms were not near the expressway or nearby train tracks. We received our warm cookies and made our way to our very updated and comfortable rooms. Very nice shampoos and Wolfgang Puck in room coffee. The next morning the front desk helped us locate a nice Starbucks nearby. Overall a VERY NICE hotel -- very nice and updated rooms. They could turn down the lights in the lobby a little which would add to the overall experience. I sort of felt like the front desk was trying to be "W-ish" but the lights in the lobby were so bright I felt like I was at a 7-11. (only minor issue). Wonder what the hotel design people were thinking?

Room Tip: Ask for room away from expressway and train tracks
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Frank C, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Columbus Worthington, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2011

I would like to thank you for such a kind review. We pride ourselves in making your stay enjoyable, and feedback like yours motivates the team to make it right.

Frank Cook