“Stale for Doubletree”

Doubletree Hotel Columbus Worthington
Ranked #37 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 30 January 2012

They have recently refurbed the Fourth floor, however, the carpet and new paint cannot cover years of stale odor and bad upkeep.
The service has always been ok here, but the quality of Hilton property is not here.
The rooms are slightly small the beds are small and hard, the furniture is still old and worn inspire of the refurb. The TV's are old and huge. They just really haven't put effort into updating the hotel. The refurb was merrily a coverup.
The history of this property has had problems with bedbugs but I haven't heard of any cases here in quite sometime now so they have this cured.
On the plus side, this hotel is close, walking distance, to plenty of restaurants and sports bars with good food and also a movie theater.
You are about 20 to 30 mins drive to downtown and about 10 mins from the Polaris Mall.

• Stayed: January 2012
Frank C, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Columbus Worthington, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Dear Guest:

I would like to thank you for your kind review. We learn a great deal from our guests like yourself. We at the Doubletree by Hilton pride ourselves to improve our services.

We are improving our hotel slowly but surely. New hallway carpeting, 37" LCD TV's, elevator upgrades and more. The Food and Beverage department is working on upgrading our breakfast and dinner and hope it will be too your liking.

Once again, we thank you for being a loyal Hilton guest and we hope to see you soon at the Doubletree by Hilton.

Warm regards
Frank Cook

Reviewed 24 January 2012

I stayed in a double room while attending a recent weekend conference. The room was good size, and -- a huge plus! -- I could actually control the temperature in the room to my satisfaction. For some reason, the keycards to the rooms were problematic...we found ourselves often in the halls with other people, swiping the key cards 10-15 times (or more) until the green light came on and allowed entrance. Getting a new card did not solve the issue. The bathroom was really nice, with a wonderful shower! So, in a sense, this hotel meets the basic needs of a traveler nicely. Our room was clean and quiet. Yes, there was an older-style TV, but it worked fine and, for the rate we were paying, was more than satisfactory. Restaurant staff kept complaining about how they were "slammed" by our group choosing to eat there. Food (once it finally arrived) was decent. And to give credit where it is due, the restaurant "comped" one of our meals because of the long wait we endured.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank paulahall
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Made reservations at Government Leasure rate on website, which site stated that the rate included breakfast for two. Upon arrival at hote, I was told that that rate did not include breakfast. There was lots of adjacent room noise, TV and talking.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank marbears
Frank C, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Columbus Worthington, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced in respect to the coupon confusion at the front desk. There have been misunderstandings concerning the government leisure rate including breakfast.

At the DoubleTree by Hilton we take pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. I'm so sorry you did not receive your complimentary breakfast. I will ensure that each front desk agent is properly educated on the promotions for the hotel and that it will not happen again.

Reviewed 7 December 2011

I was surprised at how down at heel this property was.

Does it 'check the boxes' - yes, but barely.

Wireless Internet - true Statement, however, the connection rate is so slow that it is difficult to pay a bill on line, let alone get video - spells cheap to me - they could have paid for more bandwidth.

Gym - true Statement , but, seriously, breathing chlorine fumes from the adjacent pool next to the small room that serves as 'a gym' - that stretches the hype.

Rooms are small, with very thin walls; yup, you sneeze and the person in the next room says 'bless you'.

Housekeeping. Just wear socks. For those that stay in hotels all the time, you will understand.

Television; Flat screen - no. Not even close.

Restaurant; The windowless room that serves as a restaurant is so in need of management, it is sad. Great people work there, without the resources. Breakfast is a cardiologists dream - absent of oranges, bananas and apples - there are few healthy choices.

And finally, the traffic noise - the hotel is next to a major highway - google map the site and you will see. Poor double (wish it were triple) glazing, means having a white noise a/c on.

There are many better options in the area Hyatt, Marriott, that are newer, purpose built and modern.

I would find it difficult to return to this property, based on the poor Internet connectivity, lack of healthy food and noise levels. If they were to increase their rate and move funds into improvement, that would make a difference.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank PBRD
Frank C, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Columbus Worthington, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the review. The hotel recently upgraded the hallway carpeting, installed new LG 37" LCD Televisions and improved on the guestroom amenities. We pride ourselves on continuously improving where we can.

We thank you for your loyalty to Doubletree by Hilton and hope to see you very soon again.

Warm regards
Frank Cook

Reviewed 15 November 2011

I stayed at this property when I was in Columbus for a business meeting held at the hotel. It's a fairly large property with quite a bit of meeting space, and appeared to have a fairly large number of guest rooms.

Several signs indicated that the hotel is in process of renovation, but until that happens, I'd describe it as a bit threadbare and in needing of update. The hotel lobby is large, but a bit worn-looking. Everything is beige. Not particularly bad, but not particularly good.

As far as sleeping rooms go, again, fine. I'm guessing the bathroom has been updated already -- it was big and the counters and fixtures still seemed fairly new. The bed, too, was probably updated -- it had a bunch of pillows, was very comfortable, etc. But the other furniture seemed about 15 years old, and the television was still an old 25-inch CRT television.

The location is actually pretty good. Right off the I-270, and in an area with numerous chain restaurants, and a big cinema across the street. If you have to be staying at a hotel in the suburbs, it's a decent choice. I'm sure it will get better as the renovations occur over the next few months.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for one on the side of the hotel away from I-270?
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank pdxmark2
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a week for business. Upon my late checking in my room was not ready and I was not happy. I was given a warm cookie (they do have nuts in them) and a voucher for drink at the bar. The room was much larger than exspected. There was a small frig, microwave, and sink. The bathroom was a great size and a seperate living room area with a larger screen T.V. There is also a T.V in the bedroom. I also recevied complimentary wi-fi and great resturants are within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Pickyeaterallthetime
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Ok, so the exterior of the hotel looks outdated, but who cares? The interior appears to have been recently updated (within the last 5 years or so) and it's very clean. I got this "3.5" star hotel through Priceline for $50 and it was TRULY a 3.5 star property (as compared to other 3.5 star Priceline hotels that were trashy).

I was traveling with my wife and 3-year old and the hotel was nice and also family-friendly. We were treated like "normal" guests despite the fact we booked on Priceline and were paying half of normal rates. Upon arrival, we were given the familiar Doubletree cookies and checked into a king bed room that was plenty spacious for the three of us.

We used the pool (nothing exceptional) and had breakfast at the hotel which as very nice. On a side note, breakfast was not included at the Priceline rate, but we were offered breakfast coupons upon check-in. Not sure if the front desk was just being really nice or if my Amex Platinum helped, but it was unexpected/much appreciated.

Overall, a FANTASTIC trip for the money.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Rob D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
0.4 km away
1.1 km away
Holiday Inn Columbus N - I-270 Worthington
0.4 km away
Courtyard Columbus Worthington

Been to Doubletree Hotel Columbus Worthington? Share your experiences!