“Uncomfortable & "dark"”

Ranked #46 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Cleveland, Ohio
“Uncomfortable & "dark"”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I've stayed at this hotel many times in recent years and always found it "adequate" (until most recently) even though several in my group had major problems.

While the location of the hotel is decent, there are many more modern hotel chains in the same area that may have considerably better facilities. While the Doubletree Worthington is known for very cheap rates I think you get what you pay for.

This hotel can be quite loud, especially on weekends. It is often very crowded on weekends with conference type folks and families. When I was there the indoor pool and sauna was packed with about 40 people at 9 p.m. on a Saturday night and teenagers were loitering in the halls. I moved to a different floor and the noise level went down considerably.

During my most recent stay there was a problem with my room, specifically it was left quite dirty after cleaning. After I contacted the desk the problem was dealt with by basically hiding the initial issue. Yes, the hotel staff was very apologetic after my 2nd call, gave me a new room and offered "add-ons" to make me whole, but all I wanted was a comfortable, clean, quiet room where I could get a good nights sleep.

Although I haven't stayed at other hotels in this immediate area, I'm guessing there are better options and even though they may cost more it is probably worth it.

The hotel has a general run-down, depressing feel to it. When the heater turns on the air in the room immediately smells burnt, beds feel worn out and uncomfortable, etc.

Room Tip: South side has highway noise, north side has entrance/parking lot noise. Choose carefully, higher r...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The hotel itself is showing it's age a bit, but I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of the room.

The only major downfall was that I was on the second floor above a side entrance. Outside this entrance was also the makeshift smoking/yelling area for a conference that was using the facility as well. So, there were alot of drunk people yelling right outside my window...my advice, avoid the second floor rooms right over a door if you can.

Great breakfast also.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Lexington, KY
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The property itself is fine - the rooms were fine (nothing outstanding, but more than adequate), though I'll agree with a previous review and say that "stale" is a good descriptor. The location is good - easy access to and 270, close to several restaurants and not too far from the Polaris shopping area.

I was extremely disappointed in the staff, particularly in the restaurant. Wanting to wind down after a late arrival, it took 15 minutes to get a glass of wine from the bar (about a dozen people there at the time). We quickly discovered the was a high school-aged lacrosse team(s) in the hotel over the weekend when we tried to get breakfast both Saturday and Sunday morning. It was hopeless trying to fight the crowd; the restaurant staff was nonexistent to get a table cleared off or a cup of coffee. I understand they were slammed, but tells me there's a lack of any sort of thought or planning in place. Similar frustrations followed with front desk staff as everyone seemed too busy with the computer screen in front of them to acknowledge guests.

Overall - I just wasn't impressed.

Room Tip: While corner rooms are a bit larger, avoid one next to a stairwell. Tends to be loud and you hear pe...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ROTPS144
Frank C, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Columbus Worthington, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Travel Writer,

Thank you very much for your review as these reviews allows us the opportunity to learn and improve. We, as a team, work solely for you our guest. Your feedback has been brought to the attention of the food and beverage department as well as the front office and both will in turn make improvements.

Once again, many thanks.

Regards
Frank Cook
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I was so impressed by the consistent, personal, friendly and high quality service from the staff at this Doubletree. Each person I interacted with, from front desk to the waitress in the restaurant was so willing to help me and went out of their way to make my stay comfortable.
I travel a lot - and hotels vary a lot. The service and genuine hospitality of this particular Doubletree was equal to a 5 star hotel, and a actually a bit better, as it was in the nature of the individuals.
Lastly, I was astonished by the affordability. As a Hilton Honors member I had free wi-fi, free breakfast buffet and an amazing room cost. This is definitely my hotel for the Columbus, OH area.

Room Tip: The first floor has easy access to the pool and the courtyard - nice open spaces.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank janet b
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 4 February 2012

This truly was a very nice hotel, we will use this hotel again for sure.

• Stayed February 2012
Tennessee
Reviewed 30 January 2012

They have recently refurbed the Fourth floor, however, the carpet and new paint cannot cover years of stale odor and bad upkeep.
The service has always been ok here, but the quality of Hilton property is not here.
The rooms are slightly small the beds are small and hard, the furniture is still old and worn inspire of the refurb. The TV's are old and huge. They just really haven't put effort into updating the hotel. The refurb was merrily a coverup.
The history of this property has had problems with bedbugs but I haven't heard of any cases here in quite sometime now so they have this cured.
On the plus side, this hotel is close, walking distance, to plenty of restaurants and sports bars with good food and also a movie theater.
You are about 20 to 30 mins drive to downtown and about 10 mins from the Polaris Mall.

• Stayed January 2012
Frank C, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Columbus Worthington, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear Guest:

I would like to thank you for your kind review. We learn a great deal from our guests like yourself. We at the Doubletree by Hilton pride ourselves to improve our services.

We are improving our hotel slowly but surely. New hallway carpeting, 37" LCD TV's, elevator upgrades and more. The Food and Beverage department is working on upgrading our breakfast and dinner and hope it will be too your liking.

Once again, we thank you for being a loyal Hilton guest and we hope to see you soon at the Doubletree by Hilton.

Warm regards
Frank Cook
urbana ohio
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I stayed in a double room while attending a recent weekend conference. The room was good size, and -- a huge plus! -- I could actually control the temperature in the room to my satisfaction. For some reason, the keycards to the rooms were problematic...we found ourselves often in the halls with other people, swiping the key cards 10-15 times (or more) until the green light came on and allowed entrance. Getting a new card did not solve the issue. The bathroom was really nice, with a wonderful shower! So, in a sense, this hotel meets the basic needs of a traveler nicely. Our room was clean and quiet. Yes, there was an older-style TV, but it worked fine and, for the rate we were paying, was more than satisfactory. Restaurant staff kept complaining about how they were "slammed" by our group choosing to eat there. Food (once it finally arrived) was decent. And to give credit where it is due, the restaurant "comped" one of our meals because of the long wait we endured.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends