“Father Daughter Treat”

The Blue Door Cafe and Bakery
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a cafe & bakery specializing in European cuisine and pastry for breakfast and lunch. We offer a menu that changes weekly, source our ingredients through local farms and quality purveyors, (D'artagnan, Browne Trading, Sea to Table, etc) and maintain high standards with respect to quality, service and preparation. We refuse to use products that contain hydrogenated oils or high fructose corn syrup.
Reviewed January 27, 2018 via mobile

As you peruse the reviews you'll quickly note some consistent, recurring comments. I can confirm some or most of them.

After reading these reviews, there were really no big surprises as my adult daughter and I unilaterally decided to give the heralded Blue Door a go. It was a special treat for sure (a little too pricey and a little too rich in calories to do on a regular basis) but the concept and the fare looked enticing.

The waitress was as cheerful and nice as could be. Good job to her and whoever hired her.

Daughter's hot chocolate was reportedly "the bomb" and my Guatemalan coffee was absolutely spot on. Best I've had, French press presentation to boot.

Daughter had a huge portion of two savory crepes with a complex blend of unique flavors. (You won't find these at IHOP.) I sampled them and the blissfully mild English sausage rang my bell.

Chicken and waffles (savory jalapeno cheese) were presented to yours truly with very good visual presentation. Chicken was decent, waffles were also ok but a bit soggy/rubbery. It's a tough nut to crack getting savory waffles to comply but nice try almost. Ohio maple syrup, perfect and garnish of lovely black raspberries, nice.

Took home some baked goods to mom, scone and almond crossiant, both huge and delish.

The only minor complaint would be the tenuous wooden chairs, probably great for most normal people, but my 6'7" 250 lb. frame gave it a scare when I plunked down. Even more so after eating a plus sized meal!

Oh, I almost forgot, tasty potato and onions, caramelized to perfection. All for $60, you'll have to judge the value for youself.

From my perch, it was a great treat for this father and his daughter as it was a special meal, not IHOP, Bob Evans or any one of a bunch of cheap but great greasy spoon diners.

I'm sure I'll be back.

Reviewed January 23, 2018

Extraordinary breakfasts, brunch and lunch provisions each visit. The coffee is delicious and each and every course is presented with artistry and unparalleled culinary expertise. The bakery presents confections that are exemplary and freshly baked on premises daily. Once you visit the first time you will become a regular.

Reviewed January 22, 2018

I heard a lot of good things about The Blue Door Cafe so I decided to take my teenage kids there for lunch. The menu changes constantly, so it was not available on line to review before our visit.
The restaurant touts fresh and organic ingredients. The French style cuisine did not impress the teens. The prices were on the high side and the clientele seemed pretentious and uppity. My teens were looked upon as "what are doing here"?
We seemed out of place not having a mimosa to drink with our meal.
One visit was enough.

Reviewed January 22, 2018

After my second brunch at Blue Door café I felt compelled to finally review the place. First, its very busy on the weekends and if you do not arrive early enough they will run out of some of the better pastries options.

On my first visit I was tempted by the Sourdough grilled cheese, which was excellent. Great taste and came with a cup of tomato soup (made in house) and choice of either fruit or greens. I opted for the greens. For the price of $11, I felt the portion was appropriate with the sides and size of the sandwich (which was topped with bacon as well). Great Job on this Blue Door.

On my second visit I wanted to try something different, so I opted for the Croque Madame.. which was a fancy name for a ham and cheese on a flaky croissant with one fried egg, some white gravy and mustard. For $12, I assumed based on my first visit the portion would have satisfied me... it did not. While the pasty was good, this was a glorified ham and cheese sandwich that I could make just as tasty at home for one third the cost. Not only was the portion smaller, there were no sides (which I knew ahead of time) at all, I just assumed the portion would have been larger seeing that I was paying more for the sandwich.

I eat organic eggs all the time, they are not all that much more costly. I am certain they didn't cure/brine and smoke or bake the ham in house or off site, which may have made the experience better. It was store bought, sliced thin. For a man, the portion was weak. I do love the atmosphere of the place, but that alone doesn't make a $5 sandwich cost $12. Pastry was the best part of the sandwich, and that also doesn't cost $6. When all said in done one Quiche... soup included, one Sandwich and one house coffee with tip was $37. Sorry, this is not NYC or Paris, its the Falls and some of their dishes are well over priced for the area and portion.

Good on some dishes, others need work or re-priced appropriately. Date had the French Toast dish the first time, was also good but pricey. The couple next to us also was taken aback by the cost of their meal... which is easy to hear since you are sitting so close to one another. If you are a yuppie, this place is probably heaven for you.

1  Thank OhioKevin
Reviewed January 22, 2018

First of all, the food was excellent. Secondly, the waiter was friendly, informative and not overbearing. We took our good friend from Chicago to lunch at the The Blue Door. Our friend is a connoisseur of good food, so when he asked when The Blue Door was opening a cafe in Chicago, we knew The Blue Door more than passed inspection. Come on, now, folks, how uppity can you be to write a negative review of a restaurant that has no sign marking its location and has customers waiting in line for lunch on a daily basis?