“A bit below the normal Hampton Inn standard though staff are very nice.”

Hampton Inn Dayton/Fairborn
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Fairborn
Carrollton, Virginia
“A bit below the normal Hampton Inn standard though staff are very nice.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

I picked Hampton Inn because it is usually so consistent but this one is a bit of an oddball. It has a bit of a crowded, seedy feel though the rooms were clean and comfortable enough. The bathroom was tight - the door won't open all the way because of the curved shower curtain rod so this crowds the toilet. There was black mold on the grout in the tub and the tub drained slowly (I reported it). The fitness room was basically unuseable to me because there were no weights whatsoever (never before saw a Hampton Inn fitness center without weights) - had to use the local base facilities with no A/C in 90+ degree heat instead. At breakfast I had to ask every morning for the larger bowl (which is usually standard at every other HI) so I could fit two of those microboxes of cereal in an attempt for adequate calories. She said (nicely) they weren't allowed to put them out. The last morning they were out of skim milk, bananas and yogurt. I also watched a cricket move from my bed to the wall....

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Akron, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

Stayed here one night end of September. Had reserved online with credit card a non-smoking double beded room. Arrived at about 6PM, was given a one bed king/no smoking room-no appoligies. Went to room and opened the door was like walking into a wall of stale cigarette smoke. Immediatly called front desk and was told they were sold out. She would bring up an industrial ionizer. She came up and plugged it in and gave me a can of Fabreeze and said if we let it run for a half hour everything would be fine-she even stated the room was smokey. We left for dinner and came back an hour later, the room was still smelly but not as bad. I was told I could speak with the manager in the morning. We should of left but did not want to deal with finding a new hotel after 8PM on a Friday night. We left the ionzer on and used most of the can of fabreeze-but it was still pretty nasty. Even after one night the clothes in our suitcase were saturated with the smell. This room needed a complete overhall. Sticking a no smoking sighn on the door does not make it a real non smoking room. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. This was not an acceptable Hampton experience.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ptmom
Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

I stayed here for two nights. On the second night, two drunk men from across the hall at 1 am were yelling for me to open my door or else. They were body slamming my door and kicking it so hard that the door was actually opening at the top and bottom. I was scared out of my mind! I called operator because I didn't know how to dial 911 from hotel phone (did it need extension? I needed help immediately.) Finally!! The men stopped and front desk called. The hotel refused to kick the men out of the hotel because they were paying guests, would not give me another room, and charged me full price. I sat on the floor of my room shaking for 2 hours shaking and scared until I was able to leave when they finally stopped coming around my door taunting me. I called the manager later that day and after telling her about my experience she said that even if they did break into a room they still would not kick them out because they were paying guests. Hotels should be safe for women and this hotel was not safe.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank AZEve
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2008

I expected better from this property after reading the reviews on this site, and I was overall rather disappointed with my stay there for six nights. First off, I was placed in a room facing the highway and with a connecting door to the next room. The sound insulation in the room isn't that great so not only was there constant road noise from the highway on-ramp, but I could also hear everything that went on in the room next door. Since I was staying an entire week, I am not sure why I was placed in such an undesirable room.

Second, the toilet broke on Wednesday night -- the flapper chain snapped and required replacement. Since maintenance doesn't work at night, they couldn't fix it, and since the hotel was full, they couldn't move me to another room. Perhaps this would occur at other hotels as well, but I would think there should be a contingency plan for an emergency repair. If the toilet had developed a serious leak, would they have not called a plumber?

Third, the breakfast was very disappointing. I am staying at another Hampton Inn as a I write this, and the breakfast is far superior -- better presentation, better choices, better fruit, better sitting area. I am sure Fairborn meets Hampton Inn standards, but I doubt that they go beyond in any way.

Fourth, I was disappointed in the front desk at reception. My Hilton Honors number was not on the reservation so I asked that it be added. Guess what? When I checked my bill after leaving the hotel, there was no record of my HH number. Now I have to go through the extra effort of having it added via fax or however Hilton does it.

Lastly, the TV was in dire need of replacement. It was so dark that you could barely see anything. Also, the "HBO" channel was actually HBO2! That irritated me to no end because there was something I really wanted to watch, but instead I was treated to a sports show of some sort.

Here's what I did like about the place. The pool and hot tub were nice -- well kept, clean, and enjoyable. The fitness room was very good, and it was spacious with heat/AC controls and towels available. I wish it had some water in the room, but that's just being picky. The beds were comfortable, and the housekeeping staff did a very nice job.

I will say that the hotel management responded to my complaints and ended up sending me a free hotel stay certificate to compensate for the bathroom issue. I won't be using it in Fairborn though.

• Liked — Housekeeping service, pool area
  • Disliked — Noise, poor maintenance, front desk staff
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AndrewinMD
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2007

The hotel was clean and the breakfast was great. The staff was responsive and very helpful. They quickly helped when my ring fell down the bathroom sink. The hotel is centrally located close to the mall and all kinds of restaurants and shops.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2007

First, I've never had any trouble at any Hamptons and though I only travel a few weeks a year on vacations, it's my motel of choice. So, I believe what you are about to read is an aberration and not really typical...
At first glance everything seemed just fine. The room look nice as we entered the door. But the wife noticed a streak of toothpaste on the mirror in the bathroom. Also there were six or eight dark red spots, each the size of a nickel, on the wall near a towel rack. We could only hope the stains were catsup or something equally innocuous. We decided to tell the management about these oversights on our way down to the pool. The desk manager was friendly and apologized sincerely. He asked if he could send someone up to our room to reclean the bathroom but we informed him it was not necessary, that we had removed the offending marks and stains.
However our adventure was hardly over. After the trip to the pool, I showered and then jumped into bed, planning to watch a little TV. However I discovered that the mattress had a wet spot. This wet spot was VERY wet and about eighteen inches in diameter. Worse, it was located in just the right spot to give anyone the creeps.
Another quick trip to the front desk got us one more sincere apology and also another room.
I can't condemn the Hampton chain, or even the one motel, for an inattentive cleaning person, but it did make for a long, and somewhat revolting evening.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GalileoSmith
Wapak
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2007

We were a little weary about staying here last weekend after reading the reviews. However, we were very pleasantly surprised and wanted to share our experience. The hotel was recently remodeled. Our room was a decent size and very clean with fresh linens. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was a tad small. Our biggest complaint was the heat...no thermostat so we struggled to get to a "right" temperature. The pool was very warm but there is no shallow end (it is 3.5 to 4.5 ft).

Friendly staff - called to make sure our room was ok. Cookies were available in the afternoon and mints in the morning at the front desk along with coffee/tea. Breakfast was the usual Hampton Inn fare. There is a computer with internet and printer for use with no charge but it is located in the open area in the lobby.

The location is great if you want to be close to the Nutter Center. There are a lot of chain restaurants and shopping within minutes.

• Liked — Location/Cleanliness
  • Disliked — No thermostat
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bargainmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairborn
2.1 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Fairborn South
0.7 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Dayton Beavercreek
0.9 km away
Wingate by Wyndham Dayton - Fairborn
0.1 km away
Homewood Suites Dayton-Fairborn (Wright Patterson)
0.3 km away
Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn I-675
0.8 km away
Residence Inn Dayton Beavercreek

Been to Hampton Inn Dayton/Fairborn? Share your experiences!