1,453 results
All reviewswine shuttlewine tourlocal wineriesstate parkwine countryindoor and outdoor poolshorizons restaurantfamily roomfire pitwalking trailsgreat weekendbreakfast buffetgirls weekendthe cottageshot tubshuttle servicewinery
Reviewed August 31, 2009

My sister and I did an overnight getaway at the Lodge. It is in a lovely location on Lake Erie. The lodge itself is very pretty and new. Our room was nice, clean and comfortable, and we had our own little patio facing the ourdoor pool, which was a nice plus. Everyone who worked there was pleasant and helpful. There was a wedding on the lawn and it was quite a beautiful setting. Free parking.

We had massages which were good but pricey-- $50 + gratuity for a 25 minute Swedish. Nice little spa room too.

I enjoyed a bike ride. They offer free use of cool old fashioned bikes with coaster brakes and it is really no hassle to get one. You just sign up at the front desk and you can use one whenever you like during your stay.. Thre is a very short (2 miles), extremely easy (no hills), wide, paved bike path that anyone could ride. It is mostly along the water and the views are really nice.

We ate in the Horizons Restaurant twice. Dinner was great. We had battered Great Lakes perch with good potatoes, an unusual cole slaw, and a bottle of local wine (Ferante Reisling, the only one I tasted that I liked). ($58 including the bottle of wine--reasonable!) We had the breakfast buffet the next morning. I had an omelette and it was good but my sister had eggs that were yucky and french toast what was hard. We used the pool and hot tub, very nice, with a great view of the lake.

The wine tour was weird. The good part was that there was a van for $10 per person that the lodge offered. The driver was very nice and you just called him to take you from one winery to another. He did a good job.

However, I have only done wine tastings on cruises and wine tours in California and was accustomed to being served a variety of samples (and a place to pour out what you don't like) having a brief tour of the facility, and a cracker or something between tastes. Then you get a little loaded and buy a case! This was not like that. Our first stop, as recommended by Tristen, our driver, was the Harpersfield Winery. We were told (quite nastily) that the wine tasting ended at 6PM (but the wine tour offered by the Lodge was 4-11PM--kind of odd). So it was a situation where they let you taste a dribble and then waited for you to order by the glass, which we did, one glass each. I didn't think the wine was very good. We sat outside and there was a band, which was nice enough but not what I expected. Next we went to Ferrante Winery. They offered a tasting tray with about 8 wines on it for $5, but you had to ask for it. It wasn't advertised. I didn't like any of the wine except the Reisling. They also had a band and a full menu. We drank our little shots and ended our tour there, went back to our room, and drank a bottle we bought from home!

The next morning we went to the little town of Geneva-on-the-Lake. I'll review that on a forum or something. It was quite an unusual place!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank PennWanderer
Reviewed August 4, 2009

My wife and I went to the Lodge for our Anniversary. We stayed two nights and had a great time. We had a room overlooking the lake and the pool. The room was nice, although the only recommendation I would have is to ask for a lakeview room on the other side of the hotel (not overlooking the pool) so you can see the sunset.

Things to do:
Food - The consensus of the locals is that the restaurant in the Lodge is the nicest one in the area. We ate there one night and the food was good. There is also a really nice outdoor patio at the Lodge to enjoy a drink. The other restaurant that was recommended is Chops, but you have to drive there. Since this is a resort town, there aren't a whole lot of fine dining places since they would have no business in the offseason.
Pool - There is an indoor and outdoor pool. The outdoor pool is heated and there are some fountains and stuff for kids to play in. There is an ice cream shop right by the pools and an employee usually comes around every once and awhile to ask if you want anything to drink.
Bikes - Bike rental is free if you stay at the Lodge. The only bad part is that there aren't really any bike trails, just a small one that goes over to the marina next door.
Other Stuff - the strip is within walking distance of the Lodge. There is a big miniature golf course by the strip and at night the strip takes on a carnival like atmosphere. The Old Firehouse winery is also on the strip and has a ferris wheel, as well as a huge outdoor patio with live music every night (the wine is just really bad).

Wineries & Wine Tour:
My wife and I really enjoy visiting wineries, so this was one of the reasons we stayed at the Lodge. The only big negative I have is that the front desk workers don't know much about the wineries in the area or about the wine tour that is run by the hotel. Therefore, ask for Tristan (big bald guy with glasses) if you want to know about the different wineries and the wine tour, he is the one that drives people around. The cost for the wine tour is $10 per person, but its worth it since you have a DD from 4-11pm who will take you to all of the best wineries in the area. To take part in the tour, just go to the front desk around 4 and tell them you are there for the wine tour.

Here is a list of the must see wineries, even if you don't do the tour:
South River - the winery is actually an old church and was our favorite. Also, this is the only winery that allows people to bring their own food (great place for a picnic).
Lakehouse Inn - within walking distance of the Lodge. Really nice B&B and winery with a patio jutting out over the lake. Great place to watch the sunset.
Spring Hill - this is a brand new winery. It was really nice inside and had an outdoor patio area with live music on the weekends.
Harpersfield - very secluded and a has a great romantic feel to it. We had a pesto pizza there too that was out of this world.

Overall, we had a great time at the Lodge and will definately go back!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CMLaw
Reviewed July 12, 2009

This was a family reunion for about thirty. The lodge feels new, in great shape, clean, friendly. We had two rooms, both with a great view of Lake Erie. The family room has two good-quality bunk beds and two double beds. Mattress and bedding are adequate, not up to Marriott-Westin-Hilton standards. Individual air conditioning units work OK. There is a two mile bike path along the lake from the hotel. One mile to a beach with indoor restrooms, lifeguard stand. The hotel pool is good for kids, but there are too few chairs and lounges. Hotel restaurants are good. No room service. The bar is open until midnight and has fine entertainment, at least on weekends. Ohio wines are featured and available in the gift shop and restaurant. Cell phone reception is iffy. Seemed OK if I stepped outside (AT&T). No Wifi, but internet hookup for $10/day. The lodge hosts lots of weddings. As many as three a day, outdoors at a gazebo near the lake. One got rained out bigtime on Saturday. The lodge is open year round. Would be a great retreat in the winter. :-)

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Sunbu
Reviewed July 10, 2009

This was our second trip to the Geneva Lodge. My husband surprised me in December with an overnight stay to celebrate my birthday. We loved it so much, we reserved the same room for three nights in July. I checked on our reservation a few days before we left for our trip and even added an extra day. We arrived to check in and were told we could not have the room we reserved. In tears, I walked away and my husband attended to the matter. Well, they did give us the room we requested SEVEN months in advance. All was well. They did apologize and even called the room to make sure we were happy. We had a lovely time just relaxing and enjoying the lake views. Visited a winery and walked around the little boardwalk. We treated ourselves to a dinner at the Horizons restaurant. We had a lovely dinner there in December. The restaurant left a few things to be desired. The food was not nearly as good as in December. I had pasta which was cold. Hubby had the ribs, which he didn't even finish. We did however enjoy the crab cakes. Yummy. For the price..........not worth it. The waite staff was not up to standards for a restaurant with those prices. The hotel staff were nice, but didn't really excede my expectations. They perhaps could be updated on customer service skills.
I would love to visit again, but will call ahead to avoid being upset over the room I request.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We stayed overnight in a lakeview room which had a decent view. The hotel is in close proximity to several local wineries and the staff is very helpful in making recommendations. We enjoyed the large hot tub in the pool area and had excellent meals in the onsite restaurant. We plan to return at least once a year. It is the perfect place to have a one or two night romantic getaway.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple