See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 7, 2015

We stayed in the family room, which was perfect for 2 adults and our 2 young children, with lots of space and the most comfortable bed I have slept on in any hotel or B&B. The breakfast was on a par with a 5 star hotel with a delicious, skillfully cooked full English, assortment of cereals, fresh strawberries & rasberries, natural yogurt and honey. The hosts were particularly warm & friendly and upon enquiry about a good local pub to eat that evening, proceeded to check respective availability and book us a suitable table. A nice touch. If like us you are looking for a quality B&B to stay en route to Scotland to break up the journey, this is the place to stay. The Square House is a delight, full of high quality touches and 1st class service.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
Alyson Y, Owner at Square House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2015

What a great review, Thank you,

Reviewed May 27, 2015

We recently spent 2 nights at this B&B. The room was spacious with a huge comfortable bed. Breakfast was more than we could eat! The hosts were friendly and relaxed. We chose to stay here as it was close to Leighton Moss RSPB nature reserve and the Ospreys nesting at Foulshaw moss. There is also a good pub just across the road.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple

Thank you for giving us a great review and thanks for the tip about the link to the ospreys which I put on our facebook page and enjoyed dipping in to follow the progress of these wonderful birds Regards
Alyson

Reviewed May 27, 2015

I stopped here during the Christmas period with my girlfriend and found Bob and Alyson more than accommodating.
Unfortunately I forgot to review at the time hence the review being written now.
I feel I had to write this review after reading the "cancellation" review which stated bad customer service. This review couldn't have been further from the truth and obviously was written with some malice.
The room was beautiful and decorated to the highest standard. The breakfast was huge and was sourced from local produce.
I met Bob and Alysons family whilst staying who were so much fun and asked us to join in the festivities.
I will be returning in the near future and cant wait to wear the fluffy robes!
Thank you Bob and Alyson!

Room Tip: Either rooms are good as you are given the choice of bathroom with a bath or shower (if available)
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2015 via mobile

We had two very comfortable nights at Square House while visiting friends nearby. Beautifully restored by our hosts since our last visit many years ago and the house is now really lovely, while still retaining its character. Generous tea tray, bottled water and shower gels etc in the well equipped bedroom and bathroom. The huge double bed in family room was very comfortable too: the only small problem was that we could never work out whose fluffy white towel belonged to who! Really excellent cooked breakfast preceded by proper muesli and fresh berries with yoghurt - what more could you wish for. Highly recommended to all.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2015

Today I received a computer generated email from the Square House telling me that my cancellation had been confirmed. I had not cancelled and was forced to phone the Square House to find out if it was a mistake. They had decided to cancel my booking due to a health issue. No reason was given in the email and no offer of finding us any alternative accommodation, bearing in mind I had booked 2 rooms in December for our holiday in August. A very poor service and no regard for their guests. I am very disappointed.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Alyson Y, Owner at Square House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2015

I am so sorry we had to cancel your booking for 1 room , not 2, for 1 night in August but due to scheduled surgery we have to close our B&B for the whole of August which was explained in the cancellation form sent through our booking company website. As soon as we knew we could not accommodate you we let you know giving you 14 weeks to find alternative accommodation. Had you stayed with us in August 2014, as stated on your review, you would know we hold our guests in the highest regard and nothing is too much trouble, as borne out by the previous 44 excellent reviews, but unfortunately you haven't booked with us before. I do hope you enjoy your holiday in Scotland and we would be pleased to see you if you decide to do a stopover in the South Lakes area again.