“Extremley disapointed”

The Wheatsheaf Inn
Ranked #59 of 133 Restaurants in Bexhill-on-Sea
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Wheatsheaf Inn where we hope to give everyone a warm welcome. We re-opened after a full refurbishment in March and a have a new restaurant and menu from 29th April.
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Having been invited to a family wedding at the Wheatsheaf we were all in good spirits.. even though the weather was appalling.. it did nothing but rain nearly the entire day.. There was only 1 toilet in the conservatory for guests to be used by both male and female and whilst this was clean the door did not lock. There were far too many tables in the small room to allow for any dancing.
However the biggest issue was the food.. or severe lack of it. All the food had gone by 7pm and evening guests went hungry. The so called buffet was awful.. cheap and hardly anything there.. 3 small trays sandwiches.. sausage rolls, chicken nuggets, pieces of pork pie, a couple of what i can only describe as icelands £1pizzas cut into as many thin slivers as possible.. a few bowls of crisps 12 bought cheap cupcakes and a few mini rolls. There certainly was not enough food to feed the 40 that were there all day let alone evening guests. I feel that the pub did the food as cheaply as they possibly could, using very cheap and poor products. I would not recommend using them for any kind of party again..

3  Thank jenniec66
Wheatsheaf I, Owner at The Wheatsheaf Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Hi Jenniec66

We have received your review and would like to address some of the inaccuracies you raised. We pride ourselves on our functions and have only received fantastic reviews so far.

Obviously I'm sure you're aware that the weather is beyond our control - if we could have we would have fixed it for the party! You mentioned there was only one functioning toilet. In actual fact, we have 3 rooms of facilities by the function room - these are separate amenities for ladies, gents & disabled customers. This is in addition to the one garden toilet you mention.

We consulted with the wedding party organisers well in advance on the reception logistics and did our best to meet their brief of a low budget buffet. Having viewed the reception area they were happy with the layout as it was deemed perfect for the number of guests, the DJ they wanted to accommodate and the catering - we also provided the exclusive use of the area free of charge. We were instructed to serve all of the buffet at 17.45 which we did and yes it was depleted by 19.00 and we, at cost to ourselves, then served some additional hot & cold buffet items.

We're sorry that you, as a guest, were disappointed at this function but we are happy to say that we have had many satisfied customers that have had special occasions celebrated here (please see our Facebook page for more details) and are sure that we will continue to do so.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

This is the first negative review I have ever left on TripAdvisor but I really felt let down by our local pub! I have been to the Wheatsheaf a few times for meals in the last 12 months and it has been hit and miss with the quality of the food. At the beginning after it changed hands, the food was really good but it seems to have lost its ways (maybe its chef?) However, I went with a friend 2 weeks ago on the Tuesday evening and the food was absolutely appalling and the pudding, a crumble, was revolting (the topping seemed to be uncooked breadcrumbs, never seen anything like it!). We seemed to be the only customer there. The waiter was pleasant enough and we did tell him how bad the food had been and asked him to pass on feedback to the relevant people. I will definitely not be coming back for meals there, maybe just for the occasional drinks. Next time we will walk a little further and use the other local pub as they seem to keep the quality of food and service at much more satisfactory and consistent level.

2  Thank ejrxpr
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

First time we have been back since it changed hands, yes absolutely changed interior for the better and staff are so friendly and welcoming.

We ordered our food explained in depth that my wife is a total coeliac was told starter was gluten free came up cooked in batter , yes they changed it for a salad no problem ?
Mine was excellent .

Main course a bit slow in arriving and when it did it looked very tasty
Unfortunately that was it, I had liver which was really over cooked ,

My wife had Hunter Chicken which was smothered in sauce and cheese and the chicken was so hard to cut into it was like it had been cooked for far to long and dried out.

When I paid the bill I commented on this and was told they would pass it on !!!!!

I really had to think about this review because we as locals want this pub to be a success but if they can't get the food sorted out are we back to how it used to be. I really hope not

Reviewed 12 July 2017

We have eaten here before, quite recently and the food was excellent. Today we fancied a quick lunch, so ordered ham, egg and chips and an all day breakfast. We waited ages and when the food came we were disappointed. Basic slices of ham under 2 not brilliant eggs and poor quality chips. The breakfast was not good either, very greasy, black specks on the over cooked bacon, and what was offered as toast was a barely warm slice of white bread. The toast was replaced on my request. As we had no time to spare we ate what we could and just gently commented to the waiter who cleared our table. He did say "sorry about that". I do hope this was just a one off bad day for this lovely pub restaurant

Reviewed 5 June 2017

Called in for lunch, just needed simple bar snacks and the Wheatsheaf delivered - jacket potatoes and sandwiches/paninis with an excellent side of chips. Nice wide selection available, served fairly quickly. Staff couldn't do enough to look after us. The landlord confirmed it had been extensively refurbished within the past year and everything, including the toilets, looked fresh. The only minor quibble would be that the restaurant area looked more like a cafeteria with the tables mostly aligned in rows.

1  Thank Hailes family