“Basically Good!”

The Wheatsheaf Inn
Ranked #61 of 139 Restaurants in Bexhill-on-Sea
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Wheatsheaf Inn where we hope to give everyone a warm welcome. We are a local family friendly pub with hot & cold food served Monday - Sunday, live entertainment and a fantastic range of real ales, lagers, wine & spirits.
Reviewed 6 September 2017

OK for basic pub grub!
Limited menu but freshly cooked.
OK for an occasional visit and for a drink.
Ambiance leaves a little to be desired but reasonably priced.
Great outdoor garden with play area for kids.

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

I went here yesterday for Sunday lunch, I have to say it was delicious and highly recommend it.
I haven't been here in years and have been wanting to try it since the new owners took over and so pleased I did.
It gas a lovely garden and a secure play area for children.
Thinking of bringing the family next time.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

Yet another pub selected by us initially because it looked good. It did not disappoint us!
It had everything we require, good beer, great food and friendly staff.
I would definitely recommend it to anyone!

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Having been invited to a family wedding at the Wheatsheaf we were all in good spirits.. even though the weather was appalling.. it did nothing but rain nearly the entire day.. There was only 1 toilet in the conservatory for guests to be used by both male and female and whilst this was clean the door did not lock. There were far too many tables in the small room to allow for any dancing.
However the biggest issue was the food.. or severe lack of it. All the food had gone by 7pm and evening guests went hungry. The so called buffet was awful.. cheap and hardly anything there.. 3 small trays sandwiches.. sausage rolls, chicken nuggets, pieces of pork pie, a couple of what i can only describe as icelands £1pizzas cut into as many thin slivers as possible.. a few bowls of crisps 12 bought cheap cupcakes and a few mini rolls. There certainly was not enough food to feed the 40 that were there all day let alone evening guests. I feel that the pub did the food as cheaply as they possibly could, using very cheap and poor products. I would not recommend using them for any kind of party again..

4  Thank jenniec66
Wheatsheaf I, Owner at The Wheatsheaf Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Hi Jenniec66

We have received your review and would like to address some of the inaccuracies you raised. We pride ourselves on our functions and have only received fantastic reviews so far.

Obviously I'm sure you're aware that the weather is beyond our control - if we could have we would have fixed it for the party! You mentioned there was only one functioning toilet. In actual fact, we have 3 rooms of facilities by the function room - these are separate amenities for ladies, gents & disabled customers. This is in addition to the one garden toilet you mention.

We consulted with the wedding party organisers well in advance on the reception logistics and did our best to meet their brief of a low budget buffet. Having viewed the reception area they were happy with the layout as it was deemed perfect for the number of guests, the DJ they wanted to accommodate and the catering - we also provided the exclusive use of the area free of charge. We were instructed to serve all of the buffet at 17.45 which we did and yes it was depleted by 19.00 and we, at cost to ourselves, then served some additional hot & cold buffet items.

We're sorry that you, as a guest, were disappointed at this function but we are happy to say that we have had many satisfied customers that have had special occasions celebrated here (please see our Facebook page for more details) and are sure that we will continue to do so.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

This is the first negative review I have ever left on TripAdvisor but I really felt let down by our local pub! I have been to the Wheatsheaf a few times for meals in the last 12 months and it has been hit and miss with the quality of the food. At the beginning after it changed hands, the food was really good but it seems to have lost its ways (maybe its chef?) However, I went with a friend 2 weeks ago on the Tuesday evening and the food was absolutely appalling and the pudding, a crumble, was revolting (the topping seemed to be uncooked breadcrumbs, never seen anything like it!). We seemed to be the only customer there. The waiter was pleasant enough and we did tell him how bad the food had been and asked him to pass on feedback to the relevant people. I will definitely not be coming back for meals there, maybe just for the occasional drinks. Next time we will walk a little further and use the other local pub as they seem to keep the quality of food and service at much more satisfactory and consistent level.

3  Thank ejrxpr