“Great place”

Ranked #49 of 385 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 10 September 2017

I must firstly say that the staff here are really lovely.
They genuinely seem to care about the customers which I really like.
The food was prepared quickly (although at the time we went it wasn't overly busy).
And it was very good and we definitely did it justice.
Portion sizes were generous too.
It would have been nice to have something to give it a little more atmosphere.
Its great to go to a 'non-chain' restaurant and have the food freshly made, from fresh ingredients.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

Had a booking for 6 for a birthday meal and was eager to experience Pinchos for the first time, after hearing a lot of good things from friends and family. Sadly what they and other reviews describe was far from what we experienced.

Unlike a lot of other reviewers I didn't personally have many problems with the service. The only niggle was that they brought out half of the food we ordered and then left us waiting for about 10-15 minutes before the rest came out. Otherwise, they were generally polite and attentive.The restaurant was clean and had a nice atmosphere in general, although one could question the relevance of afro-cuban jazz playing in the background of a Spanish tapas bar.

The food is where they really fall short. I have friends in Valencia and I have experienced authentic paella many times and this restaurant's is way off the mark. Everyone knows Valencian paella must have a slightly charred crust on the bottom as it must NEVER be stirred. I don't know if they are trying to accommodate a more British palate but everything was unbelievably bland(!).Equally the vegetarian paella was virtually tasteless and had nothing remotely Spanish about it. Just a lot of oil - no salt, no paprika, no saffron etc.The tapas were a similar story. They were more enjoyable than the paella, but still rather disappointing, really lacking in Spanish vibrancy and just generally soulless!

The price we payed for this disappointing food was £181 with three bottles of wine included. I begrudgingly paid the imposed 10% service charge and still feel outraged that I had to pay for bread and olives which are complementary in any decent tapas bar!

Overall, I really wanted to like Pinchos, but the food was so uninspiring and bland it's hard to walk away with a positive opinion of the restaurant, with the food they present and the price they charged. I can cook myself a better paella at home and there is another tapas bar not far from this one where I will be going next time I feel like enjoying some Spanish food.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Sat outside in hot sunshine drinking San Miguel draught lager. Spoilt for choice from the main menu and daily specials board. 3 dishes for £10.50. Food was excellent. Authentic Spanish cooking. Service first class. Very good bottle of Tempranilla. Highly recommendable.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

It was the wettest day you can imagine & having tried elsewhere (change of management/menu) to no avail called in here with no prior warning except for a quick call to see if they were still serving lunch. Well what a welcome, a lovely lady showed us to a great table overlooking the street & took our drink order, unfortunately it was simple sparkling water as we were all driving that afternoon. Comfortably seated we were able to peruse the lunchtime menu.

Well we were spoilt for choice. With wonderful herb & garlic aromas swirling from the kitchen tantalising our taste buds we chose mussels, chick peas, wild boar cheeks, chorizo in red wine, tomato & onion salad, garlic bread, meat balls, sardines, tomato bread and I think that's it. Sounds outrageous but there were three of us!

It tasted glorious. What a beautiful indoor picnic, served in traditional terracotta bowls a feast for the eye definitely and absolutely mouth watering.

I'll be returning to this lovely establishment again - I want to try some of the wines that looked most interesting but were sadly not to be on this occasion. I think it's the type of place where anyone would feel comfortable and at home.

I can't believe I didn't expressly ask our lovely waitress to personally thank the chef but I'm doing it now and I look forward to sampling more of the wonderful treats this restaurant bar has to offer.

To sum up...
Great welcome
Excellent prices
Great service
A big thumbs up!

Reviewed 31 August 2017

We visited Pinchos on a horrible wet afternoon after being disappointed at another establishment, and were we so happy that the other place had let us down!

We had a wonderful welcome from the staff, a super table, perfect for people watching, and excellent service throughout our lunchtime visit.

Chosing the lunchtime special deal, we had 6 tapas dishes between the 3 of us, and added a couple of extras. Everything was served in good time and was absolutely delicious. Highly recommend the green-lipped mussels covered in cheese, the chorizo in red wine, and the chick peas and spinach, though everything we had was tantalizingly tasty.

We weren't rushed at all, had a wonderful time, and the total bill including 6 tapas, 2 different garlic breads, a small salad, and soft drinks (plenty for a filling lunch for 3 people - didn't need any dinner later in the evening) came to £40 BARGAIN!