“Birthday lunch”

The Windmill Chatham Green
Ranked #3 of 415 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Situated in the charming hamlet of Chatham Green, The Windmill is a beautiful, real drinking pub, combining outstanding food with a selection of real ales, cocktails and an extensive wine list. Now in the care of Mick and Lydia Binnington, The Windmill has been sympathetically refurbished to maintain its character and original features including the lovely floor to ceiling oak beams. A seasonal menu in our relaxed, cosy restaurant offers elegant, simple food sourced from the best produce from around the local area, paired with a friendly and efficient service.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We have always wanted to go in here for some time. It was my girlfriends treat for my birthday. I was not disappointed in any way. The food was really excellent especially the skate. Not something I always have but cooked to perfection. The staff are friendly and efficient and even gave me a candle in my desert. The place is very nicely decorated and very clean. Will visit again and encourage others to visit. Lastly the set price lunch was very reasonable indeed.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The restaurant is done beautiful the staff are very friendly nothing is too much trouble, and you can see the restaurant is trying hard to make a success of it but something is missing,the food is nice nothing more than that, it wouldn’t make me want to rush back,my fish was cooked well the bubbly and squeak well if it wasn’t stated on the menu what it was I would never have known it was just half crushed potatoes with not much flavour, the sauce was nice, that just it “it’s nice”, after reading the reviews I couldn’t wait to go, other customers were raving about this place is a hidden gem, outstanding, fantastic food , I wouldn’t say don’t go I would just say don’t expect too much from your visit and you won’t be disappointed

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First time in the Windmill last night since it’s revamp and will not be the last! The pub/restaurant retains its character, all the staff were friendly, really helpful and welcoming, the service was smooth and as swift as you’d want, especially for a busy Friday evening and the food? Outstanding! Be sure to book - we’ve missed out a few times - glad we persevered!

Reviewed October 30, 2018 via mobile

Our second visit to this lovely restaurant and on both occasions, a Sunday Lunch and a Saturday night Dinner, our dining experience has been perfect.
A small bar area for a well balanced G and T, followed by our table for 4, candle lit. Although the restaurant is small, the tables are well placed so you are not on top of each other. Relaxed dining and helpful and efficient staff. Small Wine List and reasonably priced.
The Smoked Haddock skillet Omelette starter is delicious. I had it both times!. Main courses of Steaks and Sea Bream with Leeks in Cider sauce were so good!. Desserts, delicious choice., Apple Crumble Trifle, Pear Tarte Tatum, Clotted Cream Ice Cream plus Ice Cream Selection.
There is a separate building for private hire. Menus for Festive and Private functions. Small number of Bedrooms for Bed and Breakfast.
As we live at Leigh on sea, we had a driver for our second visit as it is a little out of the way.
On the come again list!!!

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank PeterPhippin
Reviewed October 29, 2018

Firstly let me say that my wife is Anglo French and her father was a top French Chef and she can cook like him, so we both have educated palates and can tell the difference between fresh, frozen, mediocre and excellent.
My wife and I went along with our son and his partner for what we thought would be a typical Sunday Roast. There is nothing typical about this place. Firstly the staff. They were friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable about what was on offer. They were attentive and made us feel special, so top marks there. Then there is the starter. Wow! It was the best Scotch Egg I have ever tasted. It was clearly freshly prepared as you don't get a beautifully runny egg in a precooked or frozen one. The outer casing was crispy and delicious and the pork filling was really good, accentuated by a delicious mustard mayonnaise. That's one experience I can now remove from my bucket list. My wife had the Chicken Liver Parfait and as we also sneak a taste from each other, I can tell you it was delicious. For mains we had the rib of beef. Yahoo, a chef doesn't doesn't incinerate it. It was beautifully rare, extremely tender and really tasted like good beef should. The accompanying roast potatoes were crispy and delicious and the Yorkshire Pudding was really good. I have a bit of a thing about Yorkshire Pudding but this exceeded my expectations. My son had rump of roast lamb and reported it was really delicious. My dessert was a cheese board and my server knew what cheese was being served, always a bonus. Everyone else had the Pistachio Ice Cream and Chocolate Soufflé and when my wife smiles and tells me it was 'Filthy Chocolate', it's 'Good' with a capital 'G'. All in all a very very good meal. I would highly recommend this great little Gastro Pub for great food, lovely surroundings and really really good staff. As an end point, I can tell a lot about a restaurant by its facilities. These were spotless with rolled up fresh individual towels. I wish I could give it more than five stars.

Date of visit: October 2018