“Lovely food, but my umbrella got stolen”

The New London Restaurant and Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
The New London Restaurant and Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 414 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located on New London Road in Chelmsford, the New London restaurant offers an enchanting setting, elegant surroundings, with a relaxed, unpretentious atmosphere, effortless, yet impeccable, service. Our seasonal menus change every 8 weeks and are inspired by the team of chefs and Justin Cracknell, Director of the New London, who has a passion for first-class contemporary cuisine with a classic twist. Provenance is key to our success and we have developed relationships with the best suppliers to keep consistency of quality. We are passionate about our seasonal food, drink and service and we always strive to bring you a truly enjoyable experience from the moment you walk through our doors. The venue prides itself with quite few awards including the Restaurant of the Year (Essex Life Fine Food and Drink Awards 2016), the Best Newcomer and the Head Chef of the Year (Essex Tourism and Hospitality Awards 2015).
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Gorgeous food, well cooked and wonderfully displayed. Only downsides was that it was very very loud and my umbrella was STOLEN!
We will definatly go again but maybe not when it's raining

2  Thank MarcJ54

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’m not one to leave reviews on anything but myself and my two friends were really impressed with this restaurant. The food was fabulous and easily dealt with a vegan, a vegetarian and a multi intolerance/allergy sufferer. Staff were welcoming but the stars of the show are in the kitchen. I’ll be singing this places praises for a while.

Date of visit: November 2018
J_Cracknell, Owner at The New London Restaurant and Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

We are extremely pleased to know that your experience here, at the New London!

Thanks again and we are very much looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 4, 2018 via mobile

last time when i visited in this restaurent i really felt happy for talked about the service and the food of the restaurent.. and the waiters are so nice .. so thats why i when i coming again on this trip i wanna come only at this restaurent...

Date of visit: November 2018

Thank you ever so much for your kind comments. I cannot wait to share them with my hard-working team.

We are extremely pleased to know that you enjoyed your experience here at the New London.

Thanks again and we are very much looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Kind REgards,

Reviewed October 25, 2018

Went with my fiancé last December (I'm a bit late writing this review!) and had an excellent dinner, the venison being a particular highlight. Quite pricey but good quality, innovative cooking.

Date of visit: December 2017

Thanks again and we are very much looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 20, 2018 via mobile

Managed to get a late booking on an impromptu night out without the kids. Met by a pleasant waitress who took our coats and settled us at our table. Wine was chosen and the food order taken, starters arrived soon after. Smoked salmon tartare was lovely and my husband had chosen rabbit which was fine, although it could have done with a small cracker of some sort to have with the pate.
Second course ......waiting........waiting.......waiting.
Now, we also are in the hospitality industry, so we know things can happen and have more compassion than most.....still waiting.
No apology, just a 'your food is coming next'....still waiting.
Food arrived and I cut into my shallot, freezing cold on the bottom. Husbands venison was overlooked, it had obviously been sitting waiting on a hot plate. Food sent back. Food returned, mine was now hot but the jus/gravy was very salty. New pink venison for hubby but it was so tough. Watch the CCTV and see him try and cut it up. Then I tried a piece, again, watch your CCTV to see me actually have to spit it out, so embarrassing, I've never, ever had to do that anywhere! I now have lost my appetite and passed it over to my husband to finish. I did tell the waiter who said he would inform the kitchen, again no real apology. So, we left without dessert, any cheese, no more drinks or coffee. We are now still hungry, £80 lighter and very disappointed, we will not be returning and I have left this review, and had I not been in the same trade I think it would have been lower still. So, not a good night for either party!

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank Andrea K

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We were saddened to learn that you were left feeling disappointed and not enjoyed your meal.

We would very much like the opportunity to chat with you further about your recent experience, and would be grateful if you could contact us on - justek@limeberrygroup.co.uk

Kindest Regards,