See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Ground Floor Rm 1

Well here goes, me and my finacee stayed here for 3 nights and had high hopes in enjoying our stay here.

Night 1
Got to the guest house around 21.30 and was greeted by the owner who at first was pleasent and seemed as though he placed his guests first. But then around 23.30 that the same evening we were disturbed by 5 idian guys banging on our ground floor window and constantly ringing the door bell. No answer came from either the owner or night porter that stayed on site. So I had to eventually go to the door myself and advise the men that to stop banging on my window and that the owner was not here. At first they wouldn't take for no an answer, but after I told them I was going to call the police if they didn't stop trying to gain entry. As they had stated that they were looking for a room. After 10 mins sitting back in my room someone did eventually come down and let them all in.

Day after I told the owner what happened and he seemed suprised and added they should have been there at 21.30, I did tell the owner that I would have called the police if they hadn't stopped.

Day 2
All but one of the nights me and my partner were kept awake by constant banging and children running around till 2am with as it turned out with a family that lived there? Because the owner allows people on benefit to live in some of the other rooms. Which I was suprised to hear because we were paying guests..and have never heard of such a thing.

To be honest the owner wasn't that attentive at all, if I hadn't asked constantly for fresh towels or sheets then they wouldn't have been changed for the whole 3 nights we were there. We also found fragments of glass in the bed on the first night. And when eventually he changed the sheets he knocked my partners birthday cards on the floor and didnt even bother to pick them up.

I found that he doesn't always return your calls or emails and when you call him it goes through to voice mail. It does seem as though that when he has your money then really he doesn't much care after that.

Oh and he also asked us on the last day we were there to move rooms?? When I asked why he said because he has another family coming.

In the end we didn't move but the family upstairs did leave in the end, the same family we complained about the previous day.

Breakfast would have been £5 each for a continental breakfast, when in fact if you are willing to go to the high street then you can get a really nice cooked breakfast and tea and toast for £4.30. The place to visit for this is The Pie and Mash Shop on Eston Road. Really nice and cheap as well, I would advise anyone to avoid this guest house at all costs. There is a travel lodge in town as we later found out and also other really nice little hotels around the area that could have made our stay a little better.

But all in all southend on sea is a great place to visit and great for people of all ages. We will be coming back again but not at this guest house.

Date of stay: August 2013
2  Thank Mark P
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed at the "hotel" originally booking a single room but was upgraded to a double room with no extra charge.Although there was a tv in the room ist was almost impossible to watch because of poor reception. The bathroom had a shower and bath but no plug for the bath.

Having looked under the bed it did look like they had just vaccumed around the bed. there was plenty of clean towels.

Just as well as I was staying for two days. the room was not cleaned, 2 teas and 2 catchets of coffees I suppose are to last for two days. and when i went down to ask for more coffee he complained.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank David C
Reviewed September 17, 2012

As a B&B it's "ok", no frills, noting special.
No cooked breakfast was a shock - was we made the most of the "breakfast room" (a conservatory with a toaster), and rather enjoyed toast, cereal, cheese and ham and a cup of what I'm reliably informed was coffee! No problem there though!
I would have no problem with staying here again either - it really was exceptionally well cleaned! Good sized room, good bath and shower, hot water etc.

The problem I have is it's name. It is no way a "hotel" it should NOT be called that, no bar, restaurant, security (be aware there are no staff on site after about lunch time! You're on your own)

All in all... It's "ok" but for £65 a night, I want some bacon and eggs! :)

Date of stay: September 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Feenzz
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Very poor set up/service...hotel locked and closed when we arrived, had to wait an hour in the rain before we could get in then the owner had an I don't care attitude and denied all knowledge of the calls and msgs on his phone. When phoning the hotel, all calls we're diverted to a mobile which was off. We refused to stay in the end and 5 days on, I'm still waiting for my money back. Not recommended at all !

Date of stay: July 2012
1  Thank Heatherbuzz
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We booked Bideford House having not read the reviews first, and I have to admit, had I read them first I would not have booked. We were therefore holding our breath as to what we would find when we arrived, but I have to say that we had a really great stay. Our rooms were spotlessly clean, brand new bedding, fluffy towels. One room looked as though it had been very recently refurbished (we especially liked the polka dot duvet cover!!). Bideford House is situated in a great location, very close to the centre of Southend, the station, shops and the attractions on the seafront. The owner was friendly and accommodating, and the breakfast was continental as described, tea, coffee, bread, croissants, yoghurt, cheese, meat and orange juice - we were very happy with it. We have friends in Southend and often come to visit, and I wouldn't hesitate to book and stay at Bideford House again, it's good value for money and the bad reviews do seem unfair!!!

Date of stay: May 2012