Muthu Westcliff Hotel(Westcliff-on-Sea)
US$66
US$60
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$80/night.

Holiday Inn Southend(Southend-on-Sea)
US$87
HolidayInn.com
  • Restaurant
US$85
Park Inn
Beaches Guest House(Southend-on-Sea)
US$91
Roslin Beach Hotel(Thorpe Bay)
US$133
US$129
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$150/night.

Gleneagles Guesthouse(Westcliff-on-Sea)
US$102
  • Breakfast included
Hamiltons Boutique Hotel(Southend-on-Sea)
US$102
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
Premier Inn Southend Airport Hotel(Southend-on-Sea)(Great Value!)
US$68
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
US$69
PremierInn.com
US$51
Travelodge
    Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$65/night.

See what travellers are saying:
    Reviewed August 27, 2013

Positives: Greeted by a nice gentleman, who called me when I was on my way there asking if I was ok and on my way. I felt a bit unease about this though because he asked me if I wanted the twin or double, when I had booked the twin room ages ago. Room was waiting for me though. Given the key and receipt for payment immediately on arrival. Relaxed place, mostly quiet, quiet location, and clean. There was a bowl of fruit at the entrance and was very welcoming. Manger/Owner seems very honest and the place is a Christian Hotel, for those that identify with the faith. Plenty of Christian literature around but most of it is locked during the day because it is located in the dining area. Room was tidy with clean towels and bedding. Our room had en-suite and was top floor, so we avoided lots of noise. Location to town centre was fabulous, maybe less than 10 minute walk. Less than a minute walk to the Riverfront with great views to the Thames/Sea. Kettle in room with 2x teas, 2x coffees and a 2x packs of 3 biscuits. Free TV and Wi-Fi on site. Access to ironing board and iron if needed. Apparently there was some sort of ‘continental breakfast’ available but I did not use that facility as it was pricey for the options. Will provide clean towels upon request, but these are not automatically provided if staying for more than one night. It was really quiet at night due to quiet location and I slept like a baby.

Negatives: Most of the time there was no staff around on site to ask questions or clear doubts. Website not clear about stuff, like breakfast availability, picking up and drop off keys, parking, etc. Shower room was not cleaned properly, there was lots of hair on sink, as if someone had been trimming their hair that morning. I’m not sure how thorough they clean the rooms because we found a pair of socks (previous occupants) in one of the drawers plus the hair in the toilet. Shower room was an add on to the room, too small, sink was tiny, could barely fit my hands. If you are a big person not good indeed, and you may have to use the toilet with door open. Water pressure was poor, ran out of hot water while 2nd adult was having shower – no water at all coming from Hot water taps. Hot water was temperamental and going from extremely cold to extremely hot just by touching the tap slightly. Extremely unsafe for children and disabled people. Hotel was a bit noisy in the evening, too many children staying in the place, and sound carried on easily over the floors. No access to patio and dining area most of the day, because access door was shut. No food available apart from 'continental breakfast' which was unclear what that mean, and it was £5 per person. No parking available, just on street parking which is 'first come' basis and unsafe. No lift for disabled access. Place looks a bit rundown and it would look great with a simple makeover. Just seemed like it was being managed by a single person, which is a shame really because it has a great potential due to location and size. Clean towels and coffee/tea refills are not automatically provided if staying more than one night, but can be requested. Rooms are expensive for what the place has to offer.

I rate this place average based on owner’s honesty and attempts to make this place work, inclduing cleansiness and his positive attitude, but I rate it extremely poor as a business and place to have paid guests. I would not have a place like this myself as a business, even if I had people staying for free, but the my standards are not the same as everyone else’s.

Room Tip: Check height for water pressure, the higher the worse water you get. Rooms at the back are quieter.
    • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
    1  Thank miguelitommmmmmmm
    Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Ground Floor Rm 1

Well here goes, me and my finacee stayed here for 3 nights and had high hopes in enjoying our stay here.

Night 1
    Got to the guest house around 21.30 and was greeted by the owner who at first was pleasent and seemed as though he placed his guests first. But then around 23.30 that the same evening we were disturbed by 5 idian guys banging on our ground floor window and constantly ringing the door bell. No answer came from either the owner or night porter that stayed on site. So I had to eventually go to the door myself and advise the men that to stop banging on my window and that the owner was not here. At first they wouldn't take for no an answer, but after I told them I was going to call the police if they didn't stop trying to gain entry. As they had stated that they were looking for a room. After 10 mins sitting back in my room someone did eventually come down and let them all in.

Day after I told the owner what happened and he seemed suprised and added they should have been there at 21.30, I did tell the owner that I would have called the police if they hadn't stopped.

Day 2
    All but one of the nights me and my partner were kept awake by constant banging and children running around till 2am with as it turned out with a family that lived there? Because the owner allows people on benefit to live in some of the other rooms. Which I was suprised to hear because we were paying guests..and have never heard of such a thing.

To be honest the owner wasn't that attentive at all, if I hadn't asked constantly for fresh towels or sheets then they wouldn't have been changed for the whole 3 nights we were there. We also found fragments of glass in the bed on the first night. And when eventually he changed the sheets he knocked my partners birthday cards on the floor and didnt even bother to pick them up.

I found that he doesn't always return your calls or emails and when you call him it goes through to voice mail. It does seem as though that when he has your money then really he doesn't much care after that.

Oh and he also asked us on the last day we were there to move rooms?? When I asked why he said because he has another family coming.

In the end we didn't move but the family upstairs did leave in the end, the same family we complained about the previous day.

Breakfast would have been £5 each for a continental breakfast, when in fact if you are willing to go to the high street then you can get a really nice cooked breakfast and tea and toast for £4.30. The place to visit for this is The Pie and Mash Shop on Eston Road. Really nice and cheap as well, I would advise anyone to avoid this guest house at all costs. There is a travel lodge in town as we later found out and also other really nice little hotels around the area that could have made our stay a little better.

But all in all southend on sea is a great place to visit and great for people of all ages. We will be coming back again but not at this guest house.

• Stayed: August 2013
    2  Thank Mark P
    Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed at the "hotel" originally booking a single room but was upgraded to a double room with no extra charge.Although there was a tv in the room ist was almost impossible to watch because of poor reception. The bathroom had a shower and bath but no plug for the bath.

Having looked under the bed it did look like they had just vaccumed around the bed. there was plenty of clean towels.

Just as well as I was staying for two days. the room was not cleaned, 2 teas and 2 catchets of coffees I suppose are to last for two days. and when i went down to ask for more coffee he complained.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
    1  Thank David C
    Reviewed September 17, 2012

As a B&B it's "ok", no frills, noting special.
    No cooked breakfast was a shock - was we made the most of the "breakfast room" (a conservatory with a toaster), and rather enjoyed toast, cereal, cheese and ham and a cup of what I'm reliably informed was coffee! No problem there though!
    I would have no problem with staying here again either - it really was exceptionally well cleaned! Good sized room, good bath and shower, hot water etc.

The problem I have is it's name. It is no way a "hotel" it should NOT be called that, no bar, restaurant, security (be aware there are no staff on site after about lunch time! You're on your own)

All in all... It's "ok" but for £65 a night, I want some bacon and eggs! :)

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
    3  Thank Feenzz
    Reviewed July 16, 2012

Very poor set up/service...hotel locked and closed when we arrived, had to wait an hour in the rain before we could get in then the owner had an I don't care attitude and denied all knowledge of the calls and msgs on his phone. When phoning the hotel, all calls we're diverted to a mobile which was off. We refused to stay in the end and 5 days on, I'm still waiting for my money back. Not recommended at all !

• Stayed: July 2012