“Genuine & Classy Italian by the Sea”
Review of The Basilica

The Basilica
Get food delivered
Description: An exquisite italian Sicilian family run restaurant with a warm welcome. The Basilica is the latest addition to the Burzotta family’s offering in furthering the traditions of Italian heritage and culinary cuisine. Its menu offers modern Italian dishes with a strong emphasis on seasonality.\r\n\r\nWith the first restaurant having opened in 1974 in Sicily, its recipes were transported to the UK in 1987 and have continued ever since. Dine In Or Takeaway available!
Reviewed June 1, 2021

I took my fiancee to Southend-on-Sea for our anniversary . As we first met at an Italian restaurant in North London, I booked Basilica in Westcliff-on-Sea as it had good reviews on Trip Advisor etc.

When we got there, we were amazed to find a classy (linen tablecloths etc) Italian place with an Italian family touch. The owner came to welcome us as we drank our aperitifs and inspected the menu; while also admiring the decor reflecting the Cistine Chapel in the Vatican, Rome. Such a classic and classy joint, I thought !!

My partner had the lunch menu with stuffed mushrooms and 'roast of the day' and I had the scallops&kingprawns followed by pollo escallope milanese with spagetti carbonara. The waiter explained that they no longer served veal (=authentic) escallope as they had had some complaints about Dutch veal (animal rights etc) being on the menu. He happily swapped the Bolognaise for Carbonara, as I requested.
We greatly enjoyed the beautifully-prepared food and really felt that we were in Italy !

With only a couple of other tables filled, we got very personal and impecable service. And the bill was very reasonable...at least by London standards.

The walk from S-on-Sea to W-on-Sea gave good sea-air exercise, also much to admire of the Victorian/Regency architecture. And we were able to enjoy the highly-populated funfare next to the famous Pier from the clifftops rather than getting into the fray.
What a lovely way to spend a Sunday; having it all ways: seaside, quiet walks, stunning ambiance, fantastic restaurant/food and service.....thank you Basilica.

4  Thank Traveller07_10
Write a reviewReviews (76)

Reviewed May 29, 2021

We were in Westcliff for 2 nights and were so happy to find this fabulous restaurant to celebrate our anniversary. We got a warm welcome from the team with excellent, friendly but unintrusive service all evening. The wine and food were wonderful, especially the octopus from the specials board. Thank you for a lovely evening. We look forward to coming back when we are next in the area.

3  Thank S S
Reviewed May 27, 2021 via mobile

Had an amazing dinner last night. Fabulous menu with a super specials board, I honestly didn’t know what to order as it all sounded so wonderful. Opted for the rack of lamb which was so tasty and cooked to my request (I don’t like rare). Staff are friendly and welcoming and we have truly missed being able to dine out here. 5 stars from me.

2  Thank Paggy1974
Reviewed May 22, 2021 via mobile

Tried for first time as just along the road from us. Lovely setting, lovely friendly staff and great food. Will definately be back. Would highly recommend.

3  Thank NicValGiddy
Reviewed May 20, 2021

At last an Italian restaurant near my area where you can eat a properly Italian food, al dente pasta,nice selection of fresh fish and meat.
For sure I will be back.
P.S Manager and staff were fantastic and kind toward my little daughter.
Thanks for everything